Ordering Carrera 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:16 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,574 Likes on 5,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
First off I think your spec is pretty nice (silver & red is great!). Now just my .02.....

The only thing that will hurt resale is some really bad color combination, high mileage or the car wasn't taken care of like a $90k car should. Options don't matter that much at all, there are buyers for just about every combination out there. Some want them loaded, other buyers won't even know what some of the options are.

SC is not absolutely necessary and my dealer has sold plenty of PDK 991s without as the standard sport button is a pretty darn good combination. If you don't have a need or want launch control or red-line ultra firm shifts you just negated about 2/3rds of SC. The dynamic engine mounts are good, but not necessary either. Sunroof or no sunroof is fine either way, if you don't use it, don't get it. Being that they now cost money, many are taking a second long look whether they need them or not. Again, half my dealers stock has been sans-sunroof cars and they don't have a problem moving them at all.

Get the steering wheel you like most, I decided and ordered the multi-function wheel as I dig the look, the buttons that work both ways on each side, and how it works so well with the nav/radio. For me the SD steering wheel looked a little bit on the cheap side, Porsche could have done better IMO.

PSE is nice and I ordered it, but the stock exhaust is much better compared to the outgoing 997.x cars. So if you like it as is, no need to order it.

For radio, get what you want. Bose and Burmester are better than base and may get you some more $$$ at resale, but not absolutely necessary.

A couple of things I would seriously consider are....steering column wrapped in leather (it is black plastic and looks way out of place in a red leather car), fuse box covers in leather (they are also black and stick out against red carpeting), or order deviated carpeting in black to match the headliner which is black, then you can forget the fuse box covers in leather. Work it up on the 3D configurator and you will see what I mean although you can't deviate the carpet on it, but it is an available option.

Good luck with your final order,....you done good so far!
Thanks for the thoughtful response, but like I said up above, I don't really ever buy a car considering what the resale value might be.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:00 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IndyRob
I like how you think, and fully appreciate the goal of coming in under 100k, even if you can afford more, at some point you have to draw a line in the sand. I had an 991s with PDK, and PTV, and PASM of course. I found I never used the PASM. I like that the PVT has a better differential, but quite honestly after spending 2 hours in a base 3.4 without it, I'm not a track enough driver to tell. I also do not like the idea that the PTV may intervene and apply the brakes to the inside turning wheel...makes me think could cause brakes to wear prematurely (although sure it's a minor wear factor). Also I had flat tire problems with the 20" wheel, so bad in fact I traded the car in so I could get the 19" base wheel and Goodyears which have higher profile by about 16% and a 10% tougher longer wearing compound, not as gummy. But after a few hours testing one, felt it was still excellent. That saves like $1,500 right there.

If this is your first Porsche, I would say 90% of people who get the Sport Exhaust rave about it. One of the most special things to many is how the car sounds, and with the PDK all the burbles and pops you can get out of it when you manually shift is amazing. It will put a huge smile on your face everytime, more than what the PASM and PTV will.

Free items to consider are the model delete for a cleaner look, you can still have the Porsche on the back end. Also the smokers package which gives a nice spring loaded door over the little cubby with another 12v outlet for charging things.

It is extremely rare to find any of these cars without the Bose upgrade, or Sat Radio. I understand and like the theme though, going with stock radio and popping for the free HD. I am guessing you would never subscribe to the SAT radio after the free trial period and not important to you. The SAT radio is hard to add (at least it was in the 997.2) if you don't get from factory, and for a few hundred right now, even though you don't care about resale, you may want to have that with the HD, if you stick with the base radio. I've heard the base radio actually isn't bad, some have said they like it, it's pretty decent compared to the Bose.
You are going with the top of the line seat, and have heard only incredible things about that, and with the natural red interior that is first class comfort all the way. Obviously that is a high ticket splurge right there that eats up a lot of the way to 100k.
Have you seen some of the other little touches you can wrap in the natural leather. Very few people do it, but you should check it out on the configuator. For example the bright trim strip rectangle that encases the buttons and PDK can be wrapped for $300. That one option alone with the natural red, I believe warms and enriches the interior to a whole level. Also the brightwork that encloses the cup holders easily fingerprints and almost looks cheap against the red. You can have those handwrapped too..as well as the stripes on the door panel...you can do all 4 pieces for $790. So by adding those two items, you really have the leather, and given that seems like a highlight for your build. The fingerprints on the little door don't smudge off easily, I'm not sure what it's made of, but I think leather there would add a lot of elegence, and believe it is a slightly different hue.

I was very influenced by a comment the lead product engineer for the new car said in the Christophorus magazine in an interview. When pushed about which options are must haves for the base car, he said company may not like him saying this, but the new 991 base car is just perfect for the majority of people without adding a single performance enhancement. Likewise although you aren't selecting PDCC, and not available I don't believe on 3.4, I don't like the idea of the such flat handling through turns, I like a little lean...and figure just enough electronic, hydra do-dad that could have problems later.

So I would actually say could save the money on PASM, PVT. Go with Sport Exhaust.
Great commentary and well put.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:39 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Thanks for the thoughtful response, but like I said up above, I don't really ever buy a car considering what the resale value might be.
+1 ....... you are buying it for you, not the next guy.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:28 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
I dont care for the sunroof and I hardly ever use mine, but IMO a car at this price point should be optioned with one, wether you like it or not.
I skipped the sunroof because I rarely use them, didn't like the look of the thing deployed over the roof, and didn't mind saving a few bucks.
Driving on the highway the other day temps in the high 70's, didn't want the AC on but you can't open the windows enough for a decent breeze without severe buffeting...passed a new Beetle with his windows up and the similar style sunroof opened (probably a standard feature too...) - looked cool and had me rethinking my choice!
Might be worth having just for the venting options, especially with the black roof/glass option available now.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:50 PM
littlej
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should buy for what you like, not for resale. People have totally different prefs, even worse these prefs change over time. Don't try to figure out the "best" conf for resale, if you can really master this skill, you should be in the car dealer business.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

So I would actually say could save the money on PASM, PVT. Go with Sport Exhaust.

Two advantages of PASM: lowerd car for a more sporty look and a supple ride when sports mode is not deployed. So even if you never use the sports setting, you will still derive benefits from PASM . PSE sounds so good that it should be a standard offering and not an option. Also, you can disable it when you aren't in the mood for a sporty exhaust sound.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1

Two advantages of PASM: lowerd car for a more sporty look and a supple ride when sports mode is not deployed. So even if you never use the sports setting, you will still derive benefits from PASM .
Please excuse my ignorance but I dont get it, Ive driven PASM vs NO PASM for hours and felt the PASM equipped car was stiffer (not harsher). The ride was supple on both but more comfortable without PASM. Makes sense to me since PASM equipped cars have coil springs with much higher spring rates.
The electromagnetically controlled PASM shocks will stiffen and damp better in sports mode, so they need to be paired with stiffer springs.

Regarding the lowered sportier look, I surfed the web for ages looking for pics in order to compare the height of both cars, I have to admit that from the pics I did notice a difference in height and that freaked me out while I waited for my car, but after I saw it in the flesh side by side with another PASM car (both with 20's) , its almost imposible to notice a difference, we are talking about 1 cm diff, you need to live with it to realize that the 991 without PASM is very low as is and it looks fantastic. It has a much sportier lower stance that the 997 Base without PASM.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:26 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

How important do you think the SportsChrono is?

As far as the 3.6, I am trying to keep this car below 100k.
I think PDK with SC is a must. If you get a manual you dont need SC.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Porsches are all about the driving experience. So if you're wondering, drive cars with each option. Its the only way to know for sure. That's what I did, and discovered that for me just the throttle response improvement alone is worth the price of Sport Chrono. For a lot of people though the normal setting will be just fine, especially with the stock Sport option available for the occasional thrill. But the only way you will know what's right for you is for you to drive it and see.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:45 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Also something nobody has mentioned is that Sport Chrono includes the dynamic motor mounts. This is another item that makes a noticeable improvement - but again what is noticeable and worthwhile to one may be insignificant and a waste to another. Drive 'em and see!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:26 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I would get the 3.8, its as fast as the last generation turbo and GT3. Almost a must for resale or even historic value if you keep it
Old 10-07-2012, 05:27 AM
dochusar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I echo OldGuy's response, got the 991s, and I think will have historic value probably, I intend to keep for a while.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Like Dochusar said, this new 9A1 motor the 3.8 is almost as magical as the last HUGELY successful Metzger GT-1 motor that graced the 964 993 996 997 Turbo and all the GT cars.
I would NOT spend $100K on this car and NOT get the 3.8, AND sport chrono. The ONLY analogy I can think of would be to order the new Ferrari 458 then opt for the Fiat 500 motor. That is over stating it abit but you get the pic. The 3.8 is as fast as the 997 GT3 and 996 Twin Turbo.
I had a friend who has a 996 TT chipped to 500 with a racing clutch, came up to the desert, and he got in my 3.8 and a friend who is a race car driver drove the TT. Out in the middle of nowhere we lined them up and slowed to 5 mph and dropped the flag and at each shift the Carrera 2S pulled ahead until we both hit 120, and the C2S beat the 2005 TT by half a length.
So GET the 3.8 unless its your wifes car ONLY and she doesnt care. The only things
important are
PDK
Sport Chrono
That would hit your budget and be a major resale plus (although I know you say you dont care)

But I LOVE the Silver over red and I wish I had the ***** to order one too.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just for your info, I priced out a 3.8, PDK with Sport Chrono in WHITE
and it was $105K which you should be able to get your salesman down to 100 on that I THINK!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
So GET the 3.8 unless its your wifes car ONLY and she doesnt care.
Ouch!
I have to disagree on this one, while the 3.8 is a great engine, please drive the 3.4l 991, youll be surprised how good it is too, faster than your 997 C2s

Last edited by Galion; 10-07-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Ordering Carrera 3.4