Ordering Carrera 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:24 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Just for your info, I priced out a 3.8, PDK with Sport Chrono in WHITE
and it was $105K which you should be able to get your salesman down to 100 on that I THINK!
You should look at Dag Johnsen's post where he took his 3.4 to the Ring and see what he thought of the Base verses S. The thread is on page 1 of the 991 forum and I posted it but it's his video and car. Gives you a different perspective.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

With all due respect on all models since the 3.8 has come out and even before when there are two motors, SOMEONE likes the smaller one better. I think the reason is that in the media some guys like to or HAVE to be different. The overwhelming consensus is the the 3.8 is just plain better. When the 997.2 came out, the different guy that time was Excellence, much to my surprise. There is just no way to replace horsepower and torque.
If someone really believes the 3.4 is better than either they dont have the 3.8 OR, then that person PROBABLY would be the IDEAL Cayman driver. Because ideally the Cayman is a better layout and uses the lesser horsepower and torque in a better platform. I dont mean that as a insult but a compliment.
I think actually the cayman is a better drivers car. AND for driving and learning the 3.4 is probably better.
But I like the 3.8 because its up there with the older turbo and GT3 power numbers and power makes up for my stupid mistakes.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
You should look at Dag Johnsen's post where he took his 3.4 to the Ring and see what he thought of the Base verses S. The thread is on page 1 of the 991 forum and I posted it but it's his video and car. Gives you a different perspective.
I enjoyed reading that too. Honestly I dont get the 991 3.4l bashing, I had my share of pretty fast german cars and the Base Carrera is the best of them all, its a blast to drive, very fast, involving and responsive, more than I can handle before I get a ticket or some other driver middle finger. The 3.8l is great and maybe more desirable for some, but not the only way to go in a 991, the difference in performance is marginal if you can notice it, People should go drive one before emitting a rude opinion. To each his own.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:56 AM
hepmonk
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The nice thing about owning a base engine is that you don't have to worry about the possibility of the new gt3 engine being much better than yours. You can simply go out and enjoy your non-historic engine and create the memories of a lifetime. :-)
Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 AM
dochusar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will be always a faster car, I have driven both, in the 997 and the 991. I had the base engine in the 997.2 but opted for the 3.8 in the 991. In my opinion, I enjoyed the overall ride better.
There always has been this discussion in whatever rendition of the 911 -- base versus S.

For me, at my age, it is the S. I think that I would have ordered the base if was a tweaked 3.6 l engine.

I think it will be historic as I believe the true naturally aspirated gas engine giving the performance that it does, will soon be be gone, with hybrid, turbo, supercharging or diesel will replace the naturally aspirated engine.

Last edited by dochusar; 10-08-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Spelling, deletion of sentence.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Dag Johnsen
Instructor

Its also a matter of cost, at least in countries with high tax on horsepower. In Norway it is 30.000 USD difference between base and S.
When all extras that are standard on the S are included in the base car.
So for me it was easy after testing both, feeling they were very similar and one not better than the other.
If I lived in Germany or the US, it would probably been an S if I could afford it.
But I must say being an underdog in the 3.4 driving faster than 996 turbos with 600 horsepower and 991 Carrera S gives me a lot of fun, knowing I have to work with my driving skills.
Would I drive faster in the S? Only if I was a better driver I think.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
I enjoyed reading that too. Honestly I dont get the 991 3.4l bashing, I had my share of pretty fast german cars and the Base Carrera is the best of them all, its a blast to drive, very fast, involving and responsive, more than I can handle before I get a ticket or some other driver middle finger. The 3.8l is great and maybe more desirable for some, but not the only way to go in a 991, the difference in performance is marginal if you can notice it, People should go drive one before emitting a rude opinion. To each his own.
Maybe they think they are not the first looser of the bunch and not realising for being the second looser . Just kidding ...

By all means, if someone wants to get the base, S, or future gts, turbos, etc, do so. It is your money!!!

What I didn't get is when someone who's leasing (read: renting) the car and brag about it, especially when bashing over lesser model that's purchased. I read many examples of this in both BMW and Mercedes forums. Not mentioning different price across the countries.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:43 AM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by OldGuy
With all due respect on all models since the 3.8 has come out and even before when there are two motors, SOMEONE likes the smaller one better. I think the reason is that in the media some guys like to or HAVE to be different. The overwhelming consensus is the the 3.8 is just plain better. When the 997.2 came out, the different guy that time was Excellence, much to my surprise. There is just no way to replace horsepower and torque.
If someone really believes the 3.4 is better than either they dont have the 3.8 OR, then that person PROBABLY would be the IDEAL Cayman driver. Because ideally the Cayman is a better layout and uses the lesser horsepower and torque in a better platform. I dont mean that as a insult but a compliment.
I think actually the cayman is a better drivers car. AND for driving and learning the 3.4 is probably better.
But I like the 3.8 because its up there with the older turbo and GT3 power numbers and power makes up for my stupid mistakes.
Not sure where anyone in this thread has made the argument that the Base is better than the S...Did I miss something? I think the point that some are arguing is that the 3.8 is not necessarily a “must have” and more important, the OP wasn’t asking for advice on getting an S or a base so stick to what he is asking you. The OP wanted to know what options are a must have on a BASE car he is about to order. So the next time someone comes out and asks what are some must have options to get for an “S” order, you should just reply and say a GT3. Some sarcasm but didn’t want to make an interesting thread into the typical pound your chest posts…

But that said, I still wanted to point you to Dag’s post because it gives you a different perspective.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:52 AM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by pyramid
Maybe they think they are not the first looser of the bunch and not realising for being the second looser . Just kidding ...

By all means, if someone wants to get the base, S, or future gts, turbos, etc, do so. It is your money!!!

What I didn't get is when someone who's leasing (read: renting) the car and brag about it, especially when bashing over lesser model that's purchased. I read many examples of this in both BMW and Mercedes forums. Not mentioning different price across the countries.
I wouldnt look at Leasing as renting since you can buy the car at the end of the lease very easily - the advantage is you have the flexibility to buy or not buy. Leasing is really no different than financing - it all depends on what the better rate is. All of it comes down to where your money is best put to work. Lease at 3% and invest your cash for >10% return or take 100 grand plus and buy a car outright and instantly lose 15%....Some would rather invest the cash and pay historically low rates on a lease and buy the car out in the end. I have done it both ways...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt look at Leasing as renting since you can buy the car at the end of the lease very easily - the advantage is you have the flexibility to buy or not buy. Leasing is really no different than financing - it all depends on what the better rate is. All of it comes down to where your money is best put to work. Lease at 3% and invest your cash for >10% return or take 100 grand plus and buy a car outright and instantly lose 15%....Some would rather invest the cash and pay historically low rates on a lease and buy the car out in the end. I have done it both ways...
I'm sure it has some advantages especially if you own your own company to write off some expenses. But the fact still remain, unless you paid it off, the car is not yours. At the end of the day, it is all about the cash on hand at that time. Like many highly optioned 991 vs lightly optioned 991s arguments, always comes down to the price/budget.

If I were leasing or financing, I would definitely try to go for higher, if not the highest model. Payment won't be much of a different if we break it down over longer payments period.

No offense to anyone and it is solely my own principal/opinion when buying a car. I'm placing a fully loaded 991 (NON S) myself. The 991s is usd60k out of my budget (that's the different between base prices).
Old 09-21-2013, 03:45 AM
DvidzBlk991
Advanced

I avoided the sport chrono option. I had it on my 997.2 b/c I wanted sport mode. Now, sport is included with the 991. I never drove in Sport Plus since it shifts at redline which isnt practical for daily use. Also, never did launch control. In fact, my dealer told me that launch control is recorded by the cars computer and can impact the re-sale value if done frequently. I also didn't like the clock on the dash. Other than that, nice options.
Totally agree about the sports chrono. I would never use the launch control either, and the red line shifting Id use only once in a while. I also hated the stopwatch on the dash that I simply would never use. I'm also glad that the Sports button is now included. I just ordered a Black 2014 991 C2 myself, and also will be using mine as a DD.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:13 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DvidzBlk991
Totally agree about the sports chrono. I would never use the launch control either, and the red line shifting Id use only once in a while. I also hated the stopwatch on the dash that I simply would never use. I'm also glad that the Sports button is now included. I just ordered a Black 2014 991 C2 myself, and also will be using mine as a DD.
I dont care for the launch control, dash wart or DEM mounts, but paddle shifting in Sport Plus is what I like the most about my car, very fast and agressive mode.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Naushaud
Intermediate

I was in the same boat, wanted to stay under 100k and was able to do so in a base config with even getting sports chrono, PDk, 5mm spacers and PASM. You will NOT be disappointed the car is plenty fast and fully engaging.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Naushaud
Intermediate

Agree and I believe car and driver just recently in their buyers guide section said the 3.4 is equally as engaging as even the turbo. I've even read on this forum (maybe Dag) saying it even sounded better. Not sure why the 3.4 gets such a bad rap sometimes...
Old 09-21-2013, 06:43 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Naushaud
. Not sure why the 3.4 gets such a bad rap sometimes...
Because in the US they get Porsches dirt cheap. We roughly pay for a c2 what Americans pay for a turbo. How much your wallet has to bleed to get a car has an impact on your perception of said car.

Quick Reply: Ordering Carrera 3.4