Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple Quality Problems on 991

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:40 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I've had a few first-year cars; never had a single serious problem. As for my 991, it has been the most problem-free new car I've ever owned. But I think it's great that some folks are afraid to buy the first-year models, as I'm sure this helped me to get a better deal on mine. So ... thank you!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:59 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrJay
I had the same thought and was just coming to post it. Here is my idea for a solution. Park the car in the driveway, get out, bring the keys inside the house, go wash it and see if the frunk opens. If it doesn't, you just solved your problem. If it does, it is something else.
Agree, my frunk will open with water pressure...IF I have the key in my pocket. I alwasy leave it on the workbench and no issues. Same thing happens with my Lincoln MKX that has the similar keyless system, if I'm washing/spraying near the door handles they will lock/unlock, however, if I leave the key fob on the workbench (10' away) it doesn't happen. Don't think any of them will work with just the rain though...to open they appear to need water pressure focused near the handle button, never had that happen in the past.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 PM
c4-toy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotLap
Agree, my frunk will open with water pressure...IF I have the key in my pocket. I alwasy leave it on the workbench and no issues. Same thing happens with my Lincoln MKX that has the similar keyless system, if I'm washing/spraying near the door handles they will lock/unlock, however, if I leave the key fob on the workbench (10' away) it doesn't happen. Don't think any of them will work with just the rain though...to open they appear to need water pressure focused near the handle button, never had that happen in the past.
I honestly don't get the whole keyless entry option. No disrespect to anyone who ordered it but seems its more trouble than it's worth, and not cheap either. I did not opt for it but I guess you are forced to if you order premium plus.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I have had NO problems with the key functions of the keyless entry option. It is very convenient not to have to reach in the pocket to open or lock the doors or start the car (pressing a little button or turning a key like thingee in the ignition). I have a slightly simpler less "clever" system on my Infiniti and I love it.

The issue that has been identified has to do with the proximity sensor for the front trunk lid. It is suppose to open when someone with the key in their pocket places a hand near the crest on the hood. The magic trick usually works.

Problem is: 1) it occasionally doesn't or has a delay in working, or 2) works by itself occasionally (but not always) when the person with the key on them sprays a hose or wipes with a damp towel close to the crest.

Having such a device flakey and affected by humidity or temperature or whatever is disconcerting and really pisses some folks off. Some elevate the issue, imagining it will open in the rain on the highway- but it won't- so that is bogus.

But since Excellence is Expected and the cars cost an arm and leg, its fine to be pissed and Porsche ought to fix it.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston_991
I am new to this forum, but not new to Porsche. The 991S I bought in February is my 5th and last Porsche. 4 repair attempts by the dealer - Porsche West Houston - who have treated me extremely badly. Now attempting to get my money back under the lemon law. Porsche say the car is now fixed, but I have no confidence. Very sad to be in this situation. Porsche Cars North America are not cooperative and are forcing me to go to arbitration. Very unhappy with the whole experience and will stick to trading stocks and driving a VW in future.
Thanks for sharing. Just to know better ... Who was your service advisor? Any specific mechanic working on your car?

Quick Reply: Multiple Quality Problems on 991