Sponsored by:

Motor Trend Comparison Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:30 PM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Motor Trend Comparison Test

Motor Trend has published a comparison and road test of the 991 against a BMW 650i and a Mercedes Benz SL550. They characterize the cars as sporty luxury cars and the 991 won, as well it should. I follow the conversations on Rennlist closely, but I don't usually have much to add, so I don't post often. But when I saw the Motor Trend article today I felt I had something worthwhile to say.

It would seem that the choice of cars against which the 991 was tested is evidence of just how far away from the lineage of the 997, and previous generations, that the 991 has moved. I cannot recall another comparison test of the 911 that put the Porsche in the company of such non-sports cars.

It would also seem that the world has changed and there are just not enough true sports car lovers out there in the numbers sufficient to warrant manufacture of a car in the tradition of past Porsche 911's. I don't understand why there aren't more people, who have the means to own a car like the 911, to demand with their wallets that the tradition continue. After all, there are no shortage of powerful, excellent handling, high tech, sport luxury cars with automatic transmissions to satisfy the high performance, comfort and convenient needs of most. But when it comes time to enjoy the rough and ready, seat of the pants high performance energy of a car like the 997, well, the ranks of a car such as that, has just been reduced by one more.

It seems so obvious that the 911 doesn't need to chase after the SL's and the 650i's to be a success, it can just go on being what it's always been and live forever. After all, most of us have other cars that meet the comfort, convenience, and powerful criteria. Some of those are even Porsche. But there has always been the 911 to retreat to when we wanted that more- connected-to-the road with overwhelming power feeling. - just man and machine. I hope someone has insight and will share it.

I'm not sure that upcoming GT versions are going to be the replacement that we are looking for to carry on the tradition. They may well continue even further the high tech, mechanized transmission, approach to performance.

Personally, my escape car is a 2012 Carrera GTS, 6 speed of course. I'll be 70 years old this year, and if you do the math, you'll see I'm a product of the greatest generation of gear heads that ever lived. The period beginning with the latter 1950's through the late 1960's left indelible marks about cars on the minds of people of my generation. It is sad that those marks are going to disappear as the generation disappears. I may one day own a 991 but I will never give up the 997. After all,THERE IS NO SUBSTITUE. Porsche has said that repeatedly, yet, now they seem to be embracing a more generic type of car for which there are other substitutes available.

Here's the link to the article.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...911_carrera_s/
Old 06-20-2012, 04:33 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

"The latest edition of the Swiss magazine "Auto" has a comparison between the new Porsche 911S and the Mercedes SL 500. The magazine states that the two cars are in direct market competition.

This type of a comparison would have been unthinkable earlier!"

Quoted from "Sign of the Times: 911S vs MB SL 500" in the 993 forum, from 2004.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-sl-500-a.html

Old 06-20-2012, 04:48 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Thanks for the reference. I read the MT article differently. The 991 blew the others away as the fun one with the highest sporting performance in this "compare Germany's offerings" peice. My own experience with Porsches - 914 2.0, 911S, 911SC, Boxter S RS-60 Spyder and now a 991 Carerra S leads me to a totally different conclusion than you came to. Porsche has always offered ranges and options to let you build grand tourers with sporty edges, or sports cars you can live with beyond hard core sport. It has been what set them apart from its competeters since the first offerings in the 50's. My 991 CS with PDK with Sports Chrono, 20in wheels, PASM Sport suspension is far superior as a sports car to any of the others I have owned. It is NOT a roadster and can't approach the Boster for what it is built to do. But it will run rings around all but the most optomized 911s of the past in any sporting contest- and I don't feel the least bit compromised enjoying comfortable commuting or getting good gas mileage.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is why there are so many versions of the 911. It's such a versatile platform that it crosses into numerous competitive markets. Also, in time, you will see the various 991 models vs GTR vs ZR1 vs R8 etc....
Old 06-20-2012, 04:53 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberay
Motor Trend has published a comparison and road test of the 991 against a BMW 650i and a Mercedes Benz SL550. They characterize the cars as sporty luxury cars and the 991 won, as well it should. I follow the conversations on Rennlist closely, but I don't usually have much to add, so I don't post often. But when I saw the Motor Trend article today I felt I had something worthwhile to say.

It would seem that the choice of cars against which the 991 was tested is evidence of just how far away from the lineage of the 997, and previous generations, that the 991 has moved. I cannot recall another comparison test of the 911 that put the Porsche in the company of such non-sports cars.

It would also seem that the world has changed and there are just not enough true sports car lovers out there in the numbers sufficient to warrant manufacture of a car in the tradition of past Porsche 911's. I don't understand why there aren't more people, who have the means to own a car like the 911, to demand with their wallets that the tradition continue. After all, there are no shortage of powerful, excellent handling, high tech, sport luxury cars with automatic transmissions to satisfy the high performance, comfort and convenient needs of most. But when it comes time to enjoy the rough and ready, seat of the pants high performance energy of a car like the 997, well, the ranks of a car such as that, has just been reduced by one more.

It seems so obvious that the 911 doesn't need to chase after the SL's and the 650i's to be a success, it can just go on being what it's always been and live forever. After all, most of us have other cars that meet the comfort, convenience, and powerful criteria. Some of those are even Porsche. But there has always been the 911 to retreat to when we wanted that more- connected-to-the road with overwhelming power feeling. - just man and machine. I hope someone has insight and will share it.

I'm not sure that upcoming GT versions are going to be the replacement that we are looking for to carry on the tradition. They may well continue even further the high tech, mechanized transmission, approach to performance.

Personally, my escape car is a 2012 Carrera GTS, 6 speed of course. I'll be 70 years old this year, and if you do the math, you'll see I'm a product of the greatest generation of gear heads that ever lived. The period beginning with the latter 1950's through the late 1960's left indelible marks about cars on the minds of people of my generation. It is sad that those marks are going to disappear as the generation disappears. I may one day own a 991 but I will never give up the 997. After all,THERE IS NO SUBSTITUE. Porsche has said that repeatedly, yet, now they seem to be embracing a more generic type of car for which there are other substitutes available.

+1
I'm 71 and my definition of a sports car is:
The top should go down
It should be a 2 seater personal car. I consider 911 to be 2 seater.
It should be quick and fast.
Nimble and fun to drive ( short turning radius required)
While I have been driving Stick for over 50 years I do love my PDK.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Here we go again....

Old 06-20-2012, 05:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Post this rant on the 997 board too,you will find a lot more supporters there.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

It would seem that the choice of cars against which the 991 was tested is evidence of just how far away from the lineage of the 997, and previous generations, that the 991 has moved........
I think you have over-analyzed this. Motor Trend also did a comparison test between the 991 and the Corvette Grand Sport which the 991 won.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Car and Driver compared the 991 to the Corvette Z06 and the Nissan GTR. The 991 won this one also.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...rrera-s-page-4

All the test that you refer to proves is that the 991 is good enough to play against sports cars, luxury coupes, and GT's and come out ahead regardless. If the complaint is that it's too versatile.......
Old 06-20-2012, 05:40 PM
cyberay
Advanced

neanicu: My post was not a rant. It was my observation. I'm not looking for support. Opposing points of view are always welcome. I am puzzled why this has to be confrontational when we are here on a discussion forum. I am simply opening up the discussion, and what better place than where the people who are most familiar with the car congregate?

I am not a person who is trying to stir up controversy. Just discussion for those who would like to participate. On a discussion forum.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

neanicu: My post was not a rant. It was my observation. I'm not looking for support. Opposing points of view are always welcome. I am puzzled why this has to be confrontational when we are here on a discussion forum. I am simply opening up the discussion, and what better place than where the people who are most familiar with the car congregate?

I am not a person who is trying to stir up controversy. Just discussion for those who would like to participate. On a discussion forum.
No problem,feel free to do it...
But you've mentioned you don't post too much even though you follow...then you do know how many of these threads have been in the past ridiculously comparing the 991 with a Lexus,GT car etc,just to create controversy. Most of us that own or have driven one know that the 991 is no Lexus. People who post these kind of comparisons are in general 997,996,993 or older models owners who can't/don't want to acknowledge that there's a new 911 out and it's pretty damn good.
Now I'm the one who published the Motor Trend 991 vs Corvette Z06 comparison because I found it pretty funny. I like Motor Trend and a lot of their articles are a real good read,but in this case...sorry...I just don't see it. A 650 and SL550 against the 991?! Easy win for Porsche.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is perfectly fine to compare 991 with SL. Even 997 had some credible usability as a daily driver and therefore some people do consider them as an alternative to SL since they like design, history etc. but do not have much driving ambitions. It is normal for a car with a such breadth of abilities to find competitors of very different kinds.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 PM
porsche518
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

I think every base 911 cab has been compared to every other two door cab in the market. I think porsche really lost it's way when the 964 cabs were compared to jag xks.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:27 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

The problem is you posted a link to an interesting article and then launched in to an interpretation that the 911 is no longer a sports car because a magazine chose to compare it to a BMW and a Mercedes. I think I can speak for most 991 owners and almost owners (mine will be here in a couple of weeks) when I say that this topic has been beaten to death, and I'm tired of reading about it.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:06 PM
cyberay
Advanced

tgcrun, I can only say that there is no problem other than one that you are creating. If you feel that the topic is no longer interesting, you are correct in signing off and let those who might like to continue, to do so. Why can't you simply ignore what you find redundant and uninteresting and move on to the next post? Did the fact that I made a post somehow prevent someone else from making a post, or was it somehow inconveniencing others? Why can't we all just be civil to each other and respect the fact that this is a discussion forum and not everyone shares the same viewpoint? Why do you think that you are qualified to represent most of the 991 owners and almost owners? Take a chill pill, and if this topic is not of interest to the members it will die quickly.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

tgcrun, I can only say that there is no problem other than one that you are creating. If you feel that the topic is no longer interesting, you are correct in signing off and let those who might like to continue, to do so. Why can't you simply ignore what you find redundant and uninteresting and move on to the next post? Did the fact that I made a post somehow prevent someone else from making a post, or was it somehow inconveniencing others? Why can't we all just be civil to each other and respect the fact that this is a discussion forum and not everyone shares the same viewpoint? Why do you think that you are qualified to represent most of the 991 owners and almost owners? Take a chill pill, and if this topic is not of interest to the members it will die quickly.
Hey cyberay,

Don't take this the wrong way...I think most folks here are interested in new articles about the 991,tests,comparisons etc,so I personally thank you for posting it. As I said before,I did post myself these kind of topics and they were received with interest. I'm sure yours will be too...
But you have to understand that from what I can tell,people come here to comment about their new pride and joy,talk about features,get to know their car etc...so when I told you to post this on the 997 board,I wasn't being disrespectful nor confrontational...I was just being realistic. How would you feel if you spent North of 100K and you'd be all excited to show pictures of your new ride or share thoughts about how tough the wait is to arrive and someone would come to tell you that the new 911 is not a sports car anymore?
The problem is not the link to the article,is the opinion that followed...even though it's your opinion,I respect it and you are entitled to share it.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Comparison Test