Sponsored by:

Motor Trend Comparison Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:36 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
My soon to be 72 year old dad bought a left over 997 (18 miles on the odometer) over the "all new" 991 two days ago. He would echo the sentimesnts of many on this thread.... The 997 was all he's ever need, and as an "extra" car it might give you more seat of the pants sports car thrill for the half hour every now and then he's behind the wheel. Of course the 997 was discounted a little more than 20% (plus the 1st annual service for free) and the 991 was discounted "only" 6%. He is on a fixed income after all! Ha

For what it's worth, I have a 997 too and I didn't see any remarkable difference between the two cars either. The biggest difference to me was the position of the shifter.
I think your dad made the right decision. The 997 is a fantastic car, and at that kind of discount it would be hard to pass up, especially on a "fixed income". I love my 997, but when I saw the exterior and interior styling of the 991, I just had to have one. Driving it sealed the deal, and seeing the lines of the new cab sealed the seal (if such a thing is possible). I aspire to be your dad when I'm 72, living on a fixed income that allows me to buy a new 911, assuming it involves a lot of play and not much work.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Comparison Test