Sponsored by:

Wheel spacers on the 991

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel spacers on the 991

For those of you who have experience with the wheel spacers, I'd appreciate your feedback per my questions below:

1) No doubt they improve the look, but do you notice any difference in driving dynamics with the wheel spacers installed?

2) I'm assuming the wheels/tires are sticking out further so will this increase "road rash" from sand/rocks thrown up by the tires (both front and rear)?

3) Anything else you have noticed with the wheel spacers (pros/cons)?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:08 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i have 20mm all around on lowered vehicle, looks great... dynamics? it drives the same imo... i dont notice the toss up yet but im sure it does... pro=looks good, con=make sure and use the wheel sticks (dealer can sell to you) to align everything properly... otherwise they will wobble at high speed...

wheel sticks are these rods you insert into the hub and then can slide wheel/spacer onto car w/ ease... they are in the manual but our cars dont come w/ them because our cars dont come w/ crap.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:50 PM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i have 20mm all around on lowered vehicle, looks great... dynamics? it drives the same imo... i dont notice the toss up yet but im sure it does... pro=looks good, con=make sure and use the wheel sticks (dealer can sell to you) to align everything properly... otherwise they will wobble at high speed...

wheel sticks are these rods you insert into the hub and then can slide wheel/spacer onto car w/ ease... they are in the manual but our cars dont come w/ them because our cars dont come w/ crap.
LOL, sure they come with stuff, dealer handed me the infamous two quarts of Mobil 1 when I took delivery I'm like really, still... Does seem humorous that you purchase a $100K + vehicle and they hand you motor oil...life with Porsche and we love it
Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Mind came with spacers and PASM Sport and the turn in and general steering and handling are off the charts great. I don't have any seat time in a 991 without them so have no way to compare. It is claimed that the wider track makes for better turn in.

In the latest Excellence there is a test of a tuner car and it is suggested that lowering the 991 "returns" a lot of the steering feel that hydraulic steering cars used to have. Unless you get someone really qualified to test various setups back to back, I can't imagine getting a real answer to the questions.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 06-19-2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 07-14-2012, 11:43 AM
c4-toy
Instructor

I'm interested in adding spacers to my 991 w carerra classic wheels and asked dealer about it he gave me quote for 5mm for the rear only, he tells me the front is already wide and porsche don't recommend it. Is he full of Cr@p? Also 5mm, less than a 1/4 inch, seems very subtle not sure its worth it. What you all think? where can i order them? Also any downsides to having them on the car? Thx
The following users liked this post:
Carter240 (09-22-2020)
Old 07-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by c4-toy
I'm interested in adding spacers to my 991 w carerra classic wheels and asked dealer about it he gave me quote for 5mm for the rear only, he tells me the front is already wide and porsche don't recommend it. Is he full of Cr@p? Also 5mm, less than a 1/4 inch, seems very subtle not sure its worth it. What you all think? where can i order them? Also any downsides to having them on the car? Thx
Dealer is full of it, Porsche offers the 5mm spacers as a factory option on the 991.

I had them on my 997.2 and will have them on the 991. Yes, very subtle difference in look, but not much in feel. I'm really not a fan of putting anything non-factory on my Porsches so I won't go more than the 5mm option. To me it looks like the wheel/tire combo sticks out too much then and the suspension geometry starts getting messed with.

The factory spacers are typical Porsche,...expensive, but top notch quality as you get longer lugs, security socket, rotor set screws, etc. Worthwhile option, definitely not necessary.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:55 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Mine came wit 5 mm spacers and PASM Sport. The difference is visible when next to a car without them. Fills the wheel wells nicely.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Rfong
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Wheel Spacer?

If you look on Ebay, there are dozens of wheel spacers all claiming to fit 911's.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...ries&_osacat=0

Let us know which one is the correct fit for a 991 with 19" wheels.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:36 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

i bought adaptec spacers, hub centric and came w/ proper size lugs.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:25 PM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Mind came with spacers and PASM Sport and the turn in and general steering and handling are off the charts great. I don't have any seat time in a 991 without them so have no way to compare. It is claimed that the wider track makes for better turn in.

In the latest Excellence there is a test of a tuner car and it is suggested that lowering the 991 "returns" a lot of the steering feel that hydraulic steering cars used to have. Unless you get someone really qualified to test various setups back to back, I can't imagine getting a real answer to the questions.
Great info and you're probably right, would you know if adding spacers means an alignment is necessary? I don't think so but curious
Old 07-15-2012, 08:48 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by HotLap
Great info and you're probably right, would you know if adding spacers means an alignment is necessary? I don't think so but curious
how would spacers change alignment?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:14 PM
SMLaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can any of you with the 5mm spacers post some pics? I am also debating adding them.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:59 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Here is a Sport PASM- 20mm lower than standard with 5 mm spacers all around.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 12-14-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:17 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Here is a Sport PASM- 20mm lower than standard with 5 mm spacers all around.
Hmm, will have to compare with other photos of cars without spaces. I'm debating as well for my 4S since I got few more weeks to go before config lock.

Thoughts on getting spaces on wider body 4S???
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 AM
BMo
Instructor

I just added spacers to my 996 turbo. I got them from Adaptec. 12mm back, 15mm front. Car is lowered w/ PSS9 coil overs. The car looks SO much better, can't believe I didn't do it years ago! Plus, the guys at Adaptec were great, high quality product, a lot cheaper than elsewhere! Seems to handle about the same.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers on the 991