Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun Facts about the 991 (please contribute)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 04:30 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

It appears 20" wheels are the only option for cars with RAS. I was looking into getting a set of 19" wheels/tires with an autocross setup and finally figured out that you can't put 19" wheels on a 991.2 with rear axle steering... the inside of the wheel barrel would collide with the steering mechanism.

Thank you to Tire Rack for your configurator prompting me about RAS. I already knew getting a cleaning cloth between the barrel and the lower piece of the RAS knuckle was tough so it should have occurred to me sooner. There's probably only a ¼" or so clearance with my 20" wheel.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:41 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
It appears 20" wheels are the only option for cars with RAS. I was looking into getting a set of 19" wheels/tires with an autocross setup and finally figured out that you can't put 19" wheels on a 991.2 with rear axle steering... the inside of the wheel barrel would collide with the steering mechanism.

Thank you to Tire Rack for your configurator prompting me about RAS. I already knew getting a cleaning cloth between the barrel and the lower piece of the RAS knuckle was tough so it should have occurred to me sooner. There's probably only a ¼" or so clearance with my 20" wheel.
Not to throw a rebuttal at you but I believe people in the GT3 section have managed to run 19's with RAS. Check it out, you might be in luck.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:35 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
Not to throw a rebuttal at you but I believe people in the GT3 section have managed to run 19's with RAS. Check it out, you might be in luck.
Thanks for letting me know. On the TEquipment site, the 19" wheels have a statement saying they can't be used on cars with PCCB or RAS, so I'm pretty sure there are no OEM 19" wheels that would work.

The Tire Rack site only shows 20" wheels if you select RAS, but will show 19" snd 20" is you select no RAS. But they only carry a few brands.

So I've poked around the forum some more and found this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1042...selection.html. Someone there is saying Forgeline makes an option that will work so it seems I'll have to look around at a broader selection before I give up.

BTW, the biggest reason I was looking for 19" wheels is the RE-71R don't have a 305 size in 20" tires, but they do have 19". If it comes to it I can just use the 295s... but I was already having trouble with spinning the rears as it was with all of the torque in the 991.2. I may just have to learn to feather the throttle a bit more.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to highjack the thread, but y'all might get a kick out of this: My wife and I were driving from Brenham, TX to Houston, TX Saturday night in pea soup like fog with the rear fog light activated. Before we got out of Brenham, we were pulled over by local police for a, "strange issue" with our brake lights. Of course the issue wound up being the rear fog light. After I explained what the officer was seeing, turning the rear fog light on and off three times with various brake light activations, I was being thanked for my time and patience and told to drive safely home. "Twenty-two years on the force and I've never seen anything like that" the cop said to me as he shook my hand and walked back to his cruiser. I've been using rear fog lights in bad weather conditions consistently since 1996... ...I always figured they were at least common knowledge to law enforcement.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:58 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
Not to highjack the thread, but y'all might get a kick out of this: My wife and I were driving from Brenham, TX to Houston, TX Saturday night in pea soup like fog with the rear fog light activated. Before we got out of Brenham, we were pulled over by local police for a, "strange issue" with our brake lights. Of course the issue wound up being the rear fog light. After I explained what the officer was seeing, turning the rear fog light on and off three times with various brake light activations, I was being thanked for my time and patience and told to drive safely home. "Twenty-two years on the force and I've never seen anything like that" the cop said to me as he shook my hand and walked back to his cruiser. I've been using rear fog lights in bad weather conditions consistently since 1996... ...I always figured they were at least common knowledge to law enforcement.
Cool story! Had you told him that under 40mph and with the rear fog activated, your low beams re-configure more like fog lights you would have finished blowing his mind!
You gotta love these cars!
Old 04-28-2018, 08:54 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

If you have the e-brake on, you don't have to release it prior to backing up or moving forward. Caveat is that you have to have the door closed and seat belt on. So, you don't have to worry about manually releasing it and no worries if you forget, it will release automatically.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:01 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Porsche started using this with the 996/986 back in the late 90s. Maybe even sooner on other series. Other manufacturers too.

Most often this prompts questions like, "one of my brake lights is not working".
Yes. It’s a rear fog light. If the car is equipped with front fog lights, those will turn on at the same time.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:21 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
If you have the e-brake on, you don't have to release it prior to backing up or moving forward. Caveat is that you have to have the door closed and seat belt on. So, you don't have to worry about manually releasing it and no worries if you forget, it will release automatically.
True, but then you have to put up with the momentary grab of the brake pads when you start to move.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:27 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I thought this only worked going forward.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:50 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are two plastic clips just inside the lip of the glove compartment door on the right side to clip in a ball-point pen.
The following users liked this post:
ndfin (08-06-2023)
Old 11-23-2018, 02:52 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

To adjust the projected height of the headlights on a 991, there is a black rubber seal behind the small panels in the frunk. Open it and access the 5mm hex with a 9 inch long 5mm Allen wrench.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:28 PM
G8tor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have keyless entry and ventilated seats that are active, and you shut off the car and don’t go too far away from the car, the ventilated seats will come back on when you restart it. Not sure if it is distance or time dependent or maybe both?
Stopped at the fish monger (really small place in a strip shopping center), parked right next to the door and when I left the seat ventilation was active.
Repeated it when I got home just to make sure I wasn’t imagining things.
I admit I have not tried to see if this is mentioned anywhere in the manual.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Brilliant forum. I've just read all 207 fantastic contributions, learnt so much. I've got electric mirrors which retract when you lock/unlock the car. I also like to 'down' the passenger side when parallel parking against a kerb. But I can't get my head round how to get them back afterwards to their original setting. Can someone talk me through the moves. Can you preset on the door memory pad, 1, 2 or key, to quickly revert to normal? I seem to have to reset mine every time. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:42 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but:

991 is the first 911 with a wheelbase as long as the 1970-1976 914.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:34 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Fun fact about 991:

1. Looks better than 992 externally

2. Looks better than 992 internally

Last edited by Cyberbug; 03-16-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Fun Facts about the 991 (please contribute)