Sponsored by:

RAS versus tire selection

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Matt!
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RAS versus tire selection

In looking at the Carrera T for a do-it-all daily driver/autocross/track car, it seems like there are real benefits from RAS. But, in looking at the TireRack site, it looks like RAS requires 20" wheels. This seems to be confirmed by the configurator in that you cannot select 19" winter wheels if you have RAS.

19" wheels open up tire selection. (i.e RE-71R).

What is the better trade-off? RAS and stick with tire selection with 20"? Or, forgo RAS for the possibility to fit aftermarket 19" wheels with wider tire selection?

Thoughts?
Old 01-09-2018, 07:57 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt!
In looking at the Carrera T for a do-it-all daily driver/autocross/track car, it seems like there are real benefits from RAS. But, in looking at the TireRack site, it looks like RAS requires 20" wheels. This seems to be confirmed by the configurator in that you cannot select 19" winter wheels if you have RAS.

What is the better trade-off? RAS and stick with tire selection with 20"? Or, forgo RAS for the possibility to fit aftermarket 19" wheels with wider tire selection?

Thoughts?
One of the main reasons I decided not to get RAS for my 991.2 4s was so that I could use 19 inch winter wheels and tires. 295/30/20s in the rear offer even less sidewall than the summer 305/30/20s which is not good for winter roads (frost heaves, pot holes etc.) and ride comfort. Plus the hassle of having to buy a new set of 20 inch wheels anyway becasue the 11.5 OEM wheels are not recommended with the 295 width. But mine is a street car so I doubt I would notice the benefits of rear wheel steer.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:16 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

A number of 991 GT3 drivers (with RAS) are using 19” wheels. You need to take care with wheel selection to insure clearance. PCCBs create similar issues and can also be cleared with the right wheel, though stones getting caught between the caliper and wheel barrel are a real concern.

On the autocross RE-71Rs are significantly faster than MPSC2s and have a higher treadwear rating to boot (sometimes moving you up a class). The smaller OD is also good for gearing. Overall I believe they (or Hoosiers, obviously) are worth more time than RAS and MPSC2s. Against the clock I’d personally go with RAS and 19s, but as a second choice I’d take 19s and tires over RAS.

Last edited by Petevb; 01-10-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 PM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see this posted a lot on this forum, but I only see four tire choices for 19" tires, none of them are RE-71, nor are any Michelins available:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...SortCode=58100

In 20" there are nearly 20 tires to choose from:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...SortCode=60158
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phx991
I see this posted a lot on this forum, but I only see four tire choices for 19" tires, none of them are RE-71, nor are any Michelins available:
For autocross and track work it’s ok to deviate from the stock sizes if you’re careful. 245/35 19s and 305/30 19 are the obvious RE-71R sizes to maintain balance. They will lower the car slightly and handling will change fractionally due to the change in roll center heights. Because the difference in rolling diameter is maintained ABS and traction control will still work as normal, while the lower overall OD will lower gearing slightly. Perhaps less necessary for the big track given the 20” options, but for autocross access to faster tires (RE-71Rs, Hoosiers, etc) makes this very worthwhile.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:14 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by phx991

plus the 19s tend to be cheaper.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:00 AM
OC 991
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thoughts?
Having tried a 991.2 with and without RAS back to back and I've got to tell ya... it's amazing the difference it makes!!
It's so seamlessly integrated that the 991 with RAS feels smaller, more responsive to steering input and makes the car feel and behave like a much smaller tossable car.
To forgo such an amazing addition just so you can put 19" winter wheels on in my opinion is silly.
OK so the winter 20" are a bit more $$ (were talking 6/8 hundred here).
The wider winter tire handling differences are also minimally invasive, I've got 295's on my Cayenne no issues at all! got 295's on my 991 4S, also no issues at all.
The same reason you're getting a getting a Carrera T is the same reason you'll want RAS.
It will really complete that car (should really come included in standard package on the T).

Wheels are changeable...
RAS, if you didn't get at build you won't ever have it.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:39 PM
K9PJ/4
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 Could feel the diff with RAS before I got off the dealer's lot. +1 Then as soon as I could make a U-turn where I couldn't with a 991.1. +1 then when I got
to my first back road.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:34 PM
Matt!
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the perspectives.

To clarify, I'm not considering the tradeoff to allow for winter tires. Luckily, I live where I can run summer tires year round. I was just using the configurator winter option as confirmation that 19" wheels with RAS is incompatible or at least more difficult.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:59 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

I was just using the configurator winter option as confirmation that 19" wheels with RAS is incompatible or at least more difficult.
Forgeline will hook you up if you're having trouble finding 19" options to clear. I know guys running multiple sets.

Quick Reply: RAS versus tire selection