Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any update on wind buffeting issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 PM
dawgdog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any update on wind buffeting issue?

I took my second long test drive last weekend and love the car. My primary concern is the wind buffeting issue at high speeds with the windows down that I read about on this forum. I would definitely track the car and if this issue can't be resolved it would be a deal breaker. And though I have no interest in a moon roof I would consider one if needed to abate the wind noise issue.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:02 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Update? All cars have wind buffeting under certain conditions, the 991 does seem to be worse than most for whatever reason. Just wear a closed face helmet and it shouldn't bother you!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

You are making a mistake judging a car that only has 2 windows because of buffeting ... my C6 Corvette Coupe had it even with the targa roof off, my 2008 911 Coupe had it as well ... unless you can get the air to escape from the rear windows which is impossible since they don't open your screwed... the Corvette had this weird screw thing I bought that allowed me to keep the glass hatch slightly opened and that eliminated it but the car looked weird with it ...

My advice ...Stop worrying and buy the car ... if a coupe's rear windows don't open this is what your going to get ... otherwise go for the cab where you can open the rear windows and then you have no buffeting !!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:28 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

mine is horrible with windows down (sunroof delete model)......

i have to have windows half up to not have a horrible sound... which means i ride windows up all the time (annoying because i like to drive w/ windows down)
Old 05-31-2012, 10:39 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find in most cars you are going to get wind buffeting with the windows down at speed. And if you are doing track why would you have your windows down anyway? Best to maximise the aerodynamics of the car at high speed and windows down is always going to make big noise too. That's the beauty of having a sunroof that you can pop at the rear....if you feel you need to vent the car at any stage without creating a lot of annoying noise inside the cabin.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:18 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove the car when the weather was a bit cooler, so the windows were up the whole time and I didnt get to find out how bad the buffeting was. But if its as bad as everyone seems to be saying, Porsche really needs to find something in the design to change, unless a simple add-on could fix the issue.

I personally prefer having the windows down versus running the AC, and would be rather irritated to have such extreme buffeting. Ive owned many two door cars and never run into this problem, so its hard to see why Porsche would not have noticed it.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:18 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So just to experiment, I left my top up and rolled just the front windows down going down the freeway. No buffeting.

This sounds like something Porsche needs to address. Especially since these cars are used on the track. Since they are piping noise into the cabin, they should be able to pipe air out.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 PM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgdog
I took my second long test drive last weekend and love the car. My primary concern is the wind buffeting issue at high speeds with the windows down that I read about on this forum. I would definitely track the car and if this issue can't be resolved it would be a deal breaker. And though I have no interest in a moon roof I would consider one if needed to abate the wind noise issue.
For me the worst buffeting is with one window down and the other totally up. I took mine to today's DE at Watkins Glen and drove with both windows down. I will say there was some minor buffeting, but it was occasional and nothing like with one window down and the other up. To sum it up I wouldn't worry, and I had an awesome day out there!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 PM
dawgdog
Instructor

Both the local PCA and BMW clubs require that the windows be down. The same applies for other lapping venues I participate in so it is not a voluntary issue. Have not had this issue with my e92 M3 up to 155mph
on the track. Need to do another test drive with the windows down at speed.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Zmoney3982
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It's physics. By this logic the OP should not buy any car.

OK, time to write bad things about me.... Go!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zmoney3982
It's physics. By this logic the OP should not buy any car.

OK, time to write bad things about me.... Go!
not true, it's based on design.. this is why closing windows slightly cures it..

my exige/cayenne/997.2 never made a noise... the 997.2 would however if sunroof fully opened w/ windows up... proper design can alleviate all buffeting.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:00 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Isn't it true, though, that -- generally speaking -- the more aerodynamic the car, the more likely it is to experience buffeting when the shape is disturbed by open windows?

I don't recall any buffeting in the famaily Volvos growing up, because they were bricks moving through the air. Any modern shape I have owned, however, has buffeted.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry, but what is exactly the point of high-speed driving with windows down? And what do open windows and track driving have in common? In my opinion, buffeting with windows down is the last problem to worry about. But since so many people are concerned maybe I'm missing something?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:18 AM
dawgdog
Instructor

The reason you are required to drive with the windows down is in case of an incident you can be pulled out of the car. It is standard in all the driving venues I participate in.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:21 AM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over 60 mph the car is unbearable with one window down- no sunroof hear but tipping the roof to equalize the pressure most likley would cure it

Quick Reply: Any update on wind buffeting issue?