Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SHARKWERKS center muffler bypass available for the 991 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SHARKWERKS center muffler bypass available for the 991 yet?

Sharky, I LOVED the center muffler bypass on my 997...anything for the 991 yet?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:59 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i wish, fabspeed made something but needs aftermarket sides to run it.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 PM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i wish, fabspeed made something but needs aftermarket sides to run it.
I was looking under the 991 earlier tonight and it looks like it would be fairly easy to change out. Must be patient at this point!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:03 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by HotLap
I was looking under the 991 earlier tonight and it looks like it would be fairly easy to change out. Must be patient at this point!
problem is that S and Base have diff setups.... the 997.2 the center was same on all..

base has 2 inlets, 2 outlets.
S has 2 inlets, 4 outlets.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:43 AM
HotLap
Racer

problem is that S and Base have diff setups.... the 997.2 the center was same on all..

base has 2 inlets, 2 outlets.
S has 2 inlets, 4 outlets.
Interesting to know...hopefully the aftermarket will address the "S" 1st
Old 05-31-2012, 03:42 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Interesting to know...hopefully the aftermarket will address the "S" 1st
what they have done so far is make a dual in dual out and then put diff side mufflers on it... makes sense since product could be used on both cars..

the "S" setup with actual quad exhaust is very nice tho, was surprising for me to see on a non PSE vehicle.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:43 PM
HotLap
Racer

what they have done so far is make a dual in dual out and then put diff side mufflers on it... makes sense since product could be used on both cars..

the "S" setup with actual quad exhaust is very nice tho, was surprising for me to see on a non PSE vehicle.
I have to admit the stock 991 S exhaust note is more aggressive than my stock 997.2 S exhaust note was. At times it seems on par with my 997 after I installed the Sharkwerks center muffler bypass pipe.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:06 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 991 does sound quite a bit better (in car) than the 997.2, even with a center muffler delete. Unfortunately outside the car the overall volume is relatively similar.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 PM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
The 991 does sound quite a bit better (in car) than the 997.2, even with a center muffler delete. Unfortunately outside the car the overall volume is relatively similar.
Rookie question I know, bu tI thought I'd read something in the early 2012 new model hype that Porsche was doing something to make the sound more agressive in the cabin? Can't seem to find the refernce anymore and it's not in the build specs
Old 06-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Rookie question I know, bu tI thought I'd read something in the early 2012 new model hype that Porsche was doing something to make the sound more agressive in the cabin? Can't seem to find the refernce anymore and it's not in the build specs
You're probably think of the "symposer" in the 991. It's an air duct that carries engine compartment and intake noise to the cabin. It has a switch to open and close the duct. The same gimmick is showing up on Fords and the like.

Separately, there's also the Sport Exhaust option, which adds some throaty crackle and a bark on overrun.

Both systems are a tad artificial, but not bad. Even though I have the factory Sport Exhaust on this car, I'm hoping the Sharkwerks bypass produces a "real" exhaust note.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You're probably think of the "symposer" in the 991. It's an air duct that carries engine compartment and intake noise to the cabin. It has a switch to open and close the duct. The same gimmick is showing up on Fords and the like.

Separately, there's also the Sport Exhaust option, which adds some throaty crackle and a bark on overrun.

Both systems are a tad artificial, but not bad. Even though I have the factory Sport Exhaust on this car, I'm hoping the Sharkwerks bypass produces a "real" exhaust note.
If Porsche's system is artificial,you haven't heard the new BMW M5. Now that's artificial! It comes through the speakers. In Porsche is real intake noise!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:36 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

Even eliminating the center muffler and routing the exhaust through the side mufflers still leaves the car with a rather bland sound (Ive heard it before). I think Porsche decided the exhaust could be more tame on the outside (read:boring) because the symposer sounds decent in the cabin.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

991 base= all engine noise...
991 S= great popsand burbles..
991 with PSE= better pops and burbles..

i usually dog the "S" but i wouldnt mind having someone's left over "S" exhaust and messing around with it a little to put on my base....
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScorpionT
Even eliminating the center muffler and routing the exhaust through the side mufflers still leaves the car with a rather bland sound (Ive heard it before). I think Porsche decided the exhaust could be more tame on the outside (read:boring) because the symposer sounds decent in the cabin.
I'm not sure the 991 engine is the same head and header as the 997, certainly the rest of the plumbing is quite different. I'm hoping that "liberating" the exhaust gases will be rewarded with a little giddy up and some better sound track.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
If Porsche's system is artificial,you haven't heard the new BMW M5. Now that's artificial! It comes through the speakers. In Porsche is real intake noise!
Absolutely true. If you'd told me beforehand of rumors that BMW was going to the "through the speakers" nonsense, I would have placed a sizable bet that will never happen, but here it is and it's ludicrous.

Quick Reply: SHARKWERKS center muffler bypass available for the 991 yet?