991 GT3 and 991 TURBO CAB spy shots with very little camouflage

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
My dealer confirmed that GT3 is PDK only and next RS will offer both.
That's useful at least for you -- when we know the facts, you'll know if your dealer is willing to talk rubbish or if he got lucky on a wild guess. You'll never know if he's speaking from known facts. If your dealer could think through single step logic, he (she) would stop speaking nonsense.

I imagine Porsche is very close to determing the final production spec for 2013 model year, but we know for the last 20+ years, Porsche AG is not in the habit of communicating forward information to Porsche Cars North America ... it's as if the two organizations just don't work well together.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:45 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's useful at least for you -- when we know the facts, you'll know if your dealer is willing to talk rubbish or if he got lucky on a wild guess. You'll never know if he's speaking from known facts. If your dealer could think through single step logic, he (she) would stop speaking nonsense.

I imagine Porsche is very close to determing the final production spec for 2013 model year, but we know for the last 20+ years, Porsche AG is not in the habit of communicating forward information to Porsche Cars North America ... it's as if the two organizations just don't work well together.
+1
I highly doubt that some franchise dealer has definite information in regards to this matter.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,405 Likes on 814 Posts

that thing looks awesome to me...but PDK only means I won't buy one.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:31 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is not a 991S, and I think we all know it. They don't mule S's with that type of front fascia. That is a GT3 without a doubt, the stance and centerlocks say it as well. I highly doubt CL will be an option for an S car nor would they put it on there to parade around the streets in.

I think there could be a method to the wing, maybe to appeal to a broader audience, which Porsche has done with every successive model, they went with a more subdued wing and now the more functional wings will be part of an aerokit for the GT3 (I'm sure that will turn some stomachs).

But that particular wing definitely looks hydraulic in nature, and there is no way in it's current position that it could really produce much DF. That is the part that could still be camo'd or we are dealing with a moving wing, has to be one or the other (that or they will make you buy an RS for real DF). However this car does little to separate itself from the 991S if you don't pay close attention, so I think some changes are inevitable.

Let's just hope it's not just a bunch of bright colors and stickers.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
That is not a 991S, and I think we all know it. They don't mule S's with that type of front fascia. That is a GT3 without a doubt, the stance and centerlocks say it as well. I highly doubt CL will be an option for an S car nor would they put it on there to parade around the streets in.

I think there could be a method to the wing, maybe to appeal to a broader audience, which Porsche has done with every successive model, they went with a more subdued wing and now the more functional wings will be part of an aerokit for the GT3 (I'm sure that will turn some stomachs).

But that particular wing definitely looks hydraulic in nature, and there is no way in it's current position that it could really produce much DF. That is the part that could still be camo'd or we are dealing with a moving wing, has to be one or the other (that or they will make you buy an RS for real DF). However this car does little to separate itself from the 991S if you don't pay close attention, so I think some changes are inevitable.

Let's just hope it's not just a bunch of bright colors and stickers.
I'm afraid we're all getting suckered into the speculation and navel-gazing pastime. : )

I think the central exhaust outlet is a giveaway.

Did any other factory car have the GT3/RS air vent in front of the frunk as part of the bumper cover design and inverted radiator airflow ducting?

The GTS has CL's as an option, as does the Turbo, so that's nothing, though I look forward to Porsche saying "WHAT?!" when we all order with five slugs, assuming it's an option on the GT3 wheel carrier.

I think a moving wing is very likely -- drag = mpg = government overlords.

One could read between the lines and assume those Carrera GT buckets are a telltale of a GT3 introduction. The half cage could be for safety during R&D, as we saw on the turbo cab mule which appeared to have a fake, non-functioning roof and apparently didn't have deployable roll-over protection (getting back to the likely "policy" change of safety for test drivers, especially if they're hot-shoeing around Nordschleife.)

If they fix the steering and keep the weight down, I'll be interested once the RS is out. That's a long time between drinks. If they shoehorn 4.0 pistons into this first GT3, that's a nail in the coffin of the 4.0 RS (not in my humble opinion, but I'm sure in the "old vs new" consumer wanting cachet and "first kid on the block" recognition for his facebook page ... drivers and collectors will be interested in the 4.0 RS forever.)
Old 05-23-2012, 06:12 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the central exhaust outlet is a giveaway.

Did any other factory car have the GT3/RS air vent in front of the frunk as part of the bumper cover design and inverted radiator airflow ducting?
Those two items right there made me immediately think GT3. I could have ignored the title and the same light would come on. The seats and cage were an indication, but not quite as definitive.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:07 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your dealer is just stirring you.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed21
Your dealer is just stirring you.
And there's an Aussie idiom, i've not heard in years.....

For the sepo's, whingers, kiwis and other assorted fruit ... a translation

to stir (verb, Australian English): wind up, tease or joke with a person
Old 05-24-2012, 12:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Dealerships are the de facto worst source of information on cars known to man...
Old 05-24-2012, 10:08 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Dealerships are the de facto worst source of information on cars known to man...
That ^ is certainly true!

When I walk into a Porsche dealership, I KNOW that I am more familiar with the current version of the 911 than any sales people they have working there.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
That ^ is certainly true!

When I walk into a Porsche dealership, I KNOW that I am more familiar with the current version of the 911 than any sales people they have working there.
It makes you wonder how clueless your average buyer is. I've NEVER been at a dealership where the, salesman, service guy, parts dealer made me feel totally confident in their knowledge/expertise.

Then I see something like this and then I understand why they can get away with it.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
It makes you wonder how clueless your average buyer is. I've NEVER been at a dealership where the, salesman, service guy, parts dealer made me feel totally confident in their knowledge/expertise.

Then I see something like this and then I understand why they can get away with it.
Based on this photo, it's nice they'd adjust the time, but I think it would be even more valuable if they'd put on a fecking steering wheel ...
Old 05-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Amen.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Based on this photo, it's nice they'd adjust the time, but I think it would be even more valuable if they'd put on a fecking steering wheel ...
LOL. I didn't even notice!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

It's the new optional "Voice Activated Steering" (VAST).......

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 and 991 TURBO CAB spy shots with very little camouflage