Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S vs Base 991 cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012 | 03:38 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by packwest
Speed21, you realize that Porsche is the MOST profitable car company in the world don't you? The inflated prices of the 911 and its variants are contributing factors.
Yes. However, the most profitable car company in the world can easily lose that position. Annual sales and growth figures would determine what they can get away with so let's see what happens with their pricing regime over the next 12 months. Who knows, selling less for more$ may be acceptable. But one simply can't ignore buyer sentiment where the prices appear to have now moved to a tipping point that may effect many usual buyers. Discounts are generally a good indicator of how they are really going and we all know this is a company that likes to keep the truth very close to their chest. Comparing US car prices to Aus, just one sale here would represent two or more sales in US. As an example: Boxster S 150K Carrera S Cab 300. So at at only 30k more, you guys really don't have a lot to complain about. You've got quite some way to go before you catch us up...so don't deny or punish yourselves too much for the sake of a paltry 30K to step up to the real deal ok. Lifes too short .
Old 05-09-2012 | 09:36 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clutchplate
I've owned ten Porsches with five of them being 911's and none being Boxsters. Not sure if that qualifies me as a "Porsche person", but from someone who should lean towards the 911 based on my history, I am more drawn to the new Boxster. Maybe the recession has changed my perspective on things, but I see the 981 as a potentially great car and a great value. While the 911 is certainly a greater car, it strikes me as being an average to below average value. The local dealer told me price has been the most frequent deal killer for the 991 and loyal 911 owners are searching for alternatives. I think the 981 is going to be one hell of an alternative for those who must have their Porsche fix but don't want to lay out $130K.
I agree - with Maserati and Aston Martin holding the line on coupes with more power from V8s in the same price range as a 991S PDK with options - not to mention 500hp+ MB AMG and BMW M offerings for less - Porsche is being cheeky with the price increases. That the Boxster S and base 991 have the same 3.4 engine only makes it more so.
Old 05-09-2012 | 10:00 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by speed21
Yes. However, the most profitable car company in the world can easily lose that position. Annual sales and growth figures would determine what they can get away with so let's see what happens with their pricing regime over the next 12 months. Who knows, selling less for more$ may be acceptable. But one simply can't ignore buyer sentiment where the prices appear to have now moved to a tipping point that may effect many usual buyers. Discounts are generally a good indicator of how they are really going and we all know this is a company that likes to keep the truth very close to their chest. Comparing US car prices to Aus, just one sale here would represent two or more sales in US. As an example: Boxster S 150K Carrera S Cab 300. So at at only 30k more, you guys really don't have a lot to complain about. You've got quite some way to go before you catch us up...so don't deny or punish yourselves too much for the sake of a paltry 30K to step up to the real deal ok. Lifes too short .
Now thats the correct answer!
Old 05-09-2012 | 11:03 AM
cmb13
Racer

The truth is the 991 is quite expensive; that's what keeps me from pulling the trigger. I make a fairly good income, and can afford a $100k car, but I'm not mega rich and the truth is it is a heck of a lot of money. It certainly takes a little away from my college fund for the kids or from my retirement fund.

The other issue, as alluded to, is the 911 is getting into the exotic car price point.
Old 05-09-2012 | 12:53 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by cmb13
The truth is the 991 is quite expensive; that's what keeps me from pulling the trigger. I make a fairly good income, and can afford a $100k car, but I'm not mega rich and the truth is it is a heck of a lot of money. It certainly takes a little away from my college fund for the kids or from my retirement fund.

The other issue, as alluded to, is the 911 is getting into the exotic car price point.
All my comments are predicated on having enough cash to buy what you want without putting critical purchases in jeopardy. I'm an old guy who has saved and lived below my means for 61 years and now have the extra cash to buy toys. After all these cars are toys. To buy under any other condition is insanity IMO.
Old 05-09-2012 | 01:34 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

IMO to buy new is insanity as these cars are generally very well maintained and hardly ever driven (coddled is the more correct term). Used Porsche's are a great bargain at 50% of their purchase cost after 3-4 years, you get 99% of the car and 50% of the price. New Porsche's' are simply a mugs game - don't play - BTW I take that back some people need to play as I'll want a 981 in three years (silver over red leather pls and keep the mileage low if you don't mind!!)!!
Old 05-09-2012 | 01:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I agree - with Maserati and Aston Martin holding the line on coupes with more power from V8s in the same price range as a 991S PDK with options - not to mention 500hp+ MB AMG and BMW M offerings for less - Porsche is being cheeky with the price increases. That the Boxster S and base 991 have the same 3.4 engine only makes it more so.
More power from a V8 doesn't impress me unless it also brings significant advantages. With regard to all of the competitors you mention, Porsche continues to match or exceed them in performance while achieving much higher levels of efficiency. Whether that justifies Porsches' pricing is a matter for each buyer to decide.
Old 05-09-2012 | 02:52 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Most people shop the badge (and the spec sheet). As cmb13 picked up, I was pointing out that Carreras are now in the exotic car price range. All mentioned provide far more performance than can be used safely on the street. You may not be more impressed by a Maserati or Aston Martin, but I guarantee your neighbors would be...
Old 05-09-2012 | 04:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Most people shop the badge (and the spec sheet). As cmb13 picked up, I was pointing out that Carreras are now in the exotic car price range. All mentioned provide far more performance than can be used safely on the street. You may not be more impressed by a Maserati or Aston Martin, but I guarantee your neighbors would be...
My neighbors kind of like my Carrera too. I get your point, but obviously the qualities Porsche brings to the table, V8 notwithstanding, mean more to me than those of the Jag, Aston, or Maser. After all, I could have bought any of them and chose (and will continue to choose) the Porsche. Masers and Astons make lousy dual purpose street/autocross cars. My neighbors can fend for themselves.
Old 05-09-2012 | 09:38 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
BTW I take that back some people need to play as I'll want a 981 in three years (silver over red leather pls and keep the mileage low if you don't mind!!)!!
That's the dilemma... pay a premium and drive today, or wait a couple of years for the latest models to show up used. Life is short so every now and then I pop for a new one, but only if it's a must have model like the 993, the 997 and for me, the 981.
Old 05-09-2012 | 09:40 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

BTW, Ferrari is now including 7 years of FREE maintenance (transferable) for 2012 models. Wonder if Porsche will follow that trend.
Old 05-09-2012 | 10:00 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by skinzy
All my comments are predicated on having enough cash to buy what you want without putting critical purchases in jeopardy. I'm an old guy who has saved and lived below my means for 61 years and now have the extra cash to buy toys. After all these cars are toys. To buy under any other condition is insanity IMO.
Its important to be able to walk away after any deal knowing you got what you really wanted. Compromising can be a bitch....especially over 30K on a price that in essence is cheap in comparison to anywhere else on the planet.

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
IMO to buy new is insanity as these cars are generally very well maintained and hardly ever driven (coddled is the more correct term). Used Porsche's are a great bargain at 50% of their purchase cost after 3-4 years, you get 99% of the car and 50% of the price. New Porsche's' are simply a mugs game - don't play - BTW I take that back some people need to play as I'll want a 981 in three years (silver over red leather pls and keep the mileage low if you don't mind!!)!!
Not entirely true. There are a number of variables in play using your scenario. The value of any car becomes relatiive to its age, use, and where it sits in its model cycle. Pricing is generally representative of what a car is really worth at any given time. A new car is more expensive for the main reason it is brand new, unused with no history. So whilst i would agree that new car taxes are never recoverable the value of the car itself remains representitive of its true value. Sure there is a price to pay but IMO there's nothing quite like brand new.

Originally Posted by clutchplate
That's the dilemma... pay a premium and drive today, or wait a couple of years for the latest models to show up used. Life is short so every now and then I pop for a new one, but only if it's a must have model like the 993, the 997 and for me, the 981.
Exactly. So don't waste it if you can swing it. Buyers remorse usually comes at one point during the ownership period. Just look at some of those guys that bought 997 runouts.... As a case example I see one of them is still hammering away at it on the 991 forums over on 6. Still trying to convince himself things like nose bobbing is a desirable trait, amongst other things... Dilusion gone bizarre..... but it happens..
Old 05-09-2012 | 10:12 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skinzy
Congrats old guy! It is time to treat yourself with a nice toy after many years of hard work.

This thread is entertaining but there will never be a right answer, as both are excellent sport cars.

All I want to say is every car guy should own a 911 at least once in their lifetime. After that, feel free to buy Boxsters, more 911s, or others. When you become old and can't drive, you will not look back and regret not owning a Boxster, but you will very much regret not owning a 911.
Old 05-09-2012 | 11:14 PM
SSST
Drifting

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
When you become old and can't drive, you will not look back and regret not owning a Boxster, but you will very much regret not owning a 911.
That is a true statement.

I'm thinking about a 981 as a DD. I'm keeping my 996, but I really like the 981. Maybe in 6 or 7 years I'll find a sweet deal on a 991ttt.

I really appreciate everyone who leases these cars new with low mileage allowances.
Old 05-10-2012 | 01:27 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Personally, if I were looking for a Porsche convertible I would go for a Boxster S over a 911 cab. I am not a fan of soft top 911s. The 911 has always been designed as a coupe, so turning it into a convertible has always been a compromise. The chassis has to be reinforced and even with this, 911 convertibles never have the structural rigidy of the coupe it was born from. They are 160 to 250 lbs heavier (depending on model) than the similar coupe model. More weight and a weaker chassis = less performance. This means that a 911 cab is ALWAYS a compromise.

The Boxster on the other hand was designed to be a convertible from the start. The entire chassis was designed to retain weight from the lower subframe instead of being reinforced as with the 911. When Porsche made the Cayman (aka Coxster = Coupe-Boxster) they added a solid roof structure yet it neither gained a real improvement in structural rigidy or reduction in weight. In fact, if you saw any of the Boxster Spyder vs. Cayman R tests, the Boxster Spyder outperformed the Cayman R in every one.

Finally, have you seen the New Boxster? It simply looks fantastic. It is a lot better looking than the new 911 from any angle that you look at it. The front end has a lot of Carrera GT in it and looks far better integrated than the 991 front end. I am very turned off by the back end of the 991 where the tail lights and bumper lines looking awkward while the new Boxster is incredibly sharp. The integrated spoiler with the rear tailights is very sharp. The side profile with the scoops that run along the doors is so sharp that it makes the Boxster look like a much more expensive car. The Boxster actually gets a nicer styled dash than the new 911. Finally, now that Porsche reduced the displacement of the base Carrera to the same 3.4l as the Boxster S, it really makes it hard to justify the price difference even with the 35 hp rating difference; most of which can be made up with just an upgraded exhaust. Due to the lighter weight of the Boxster S, you should not see a performance compromise versus the base Carrera Cab.
From recent Motor Trend review "Consider that, despite weighing 228 pounds more than the hardtop Carrera S, the Cabriolet is only negligibly slower. A figure-eight lap requires 24.3 seconds (0.2 second slower) and generates a 1.03 lateral g average, which ties the hardtop. The Cabriolet takes 0.1 second longer to reach 60 mph and the quarter mile (3.8 seconds and 12.1 seconds at 116 mph, respectively).

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1uU6sGjkW

Quick Reply: Boxster S vs Base 991 cab