Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S vs Base 991 cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:58 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 968 Likes on 457 Posts

Just went through this dilemma and finally decided to order a 2013 Boxster. My 911's, including my 997S always turn out to be garage queens. The more I pay for a car, the less I seem to drive it so this time I'm going with a lightly equipped 981 which I plan to use as a daily driver. Ordered a silver with red top, sport exhaust and a few other necessities.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The new Boxster is a very nice looking car IMO. I agree with what someone else posted. The previous version is the second best handling car I have ever driven.

If I was going to get rid of my TT, I would have to give the new Boxter a serious look.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 PM
caveatesq1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby Normal
Going to drive the new Boxster at Barber on Monday and Tuesday. Will let you know.
Looking forward to your impressions. I struggled with a decision between and bare bones 991 coupe or a nicely equipped 981 Boxster S. In the end, I put my money down on a July build Boxster.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

drive both, own both... then come back and tell us which one you would buy again..

the boxster is a great vehicle, the new 3.4 is great as well... but it's still a boxster..

the 911, will always be, the 911..

this coming from someone that has owned many cars, 911 and not 911... and the new 911... is an amazing vehicle... even a bare bones 911 at 82,100 is above the Boxster S at 60,900.... (20k difference, not 30k as people are describing)
Old 05-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
this coming from someone that has owned many cars, 911 and not 911... and the new 911... is an amazing vehicle... even a bare bones 911 at 82,100 is above the Boxster S at 60,900.... (20k difference, not 30k as people are describing)
People were comparing a base 991 Cab to the new Boxster S, as the title of the thread suggests; that difference is $30K+.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
People were comparing a base 991 Cab to the new Boxster S, as the title of the thread suggests; that difference is $30K+.
my mistake, that is a great benefit of the boxster, every convertible in the world is MORE expensive than it's coupe counterpart.... except the boxster... which is less than the cayman,

only Porsche....
Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 PM
caveatesq1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rijowysock
drive both, own both... then come back and tell us which one you would buy again..

the boxster is a great vehicle, the new 3.4 is great as well... but it's still a boxster..

the 911, will always be, the 911..

I had a 2008 997S for just over two years. It was a nice car, but, to be honest, I was not all that impressed. It never felt balanced to me and even when new, it seemed very dated. I sold it a got a new M3 (if I only had one car, this would be it as is a fabulous all-around car, but as a pure sports car, it is too heavy and lacks the visceral feeling of the Porsches).

Before buying the 911, I seriously shopped the Boxster/Cayman cars and liked them a lot - more than the 911 - but with two young boys, the tiny back seats of the 911 and "history" of the 911, drew me in.

I have spent a fair amount of time with the 991 and, unlike the seeming majority, I like it better than the 997. At this point, I wouldn't dare try and shoehorn my youngest son (he's 9) in the back of event the 991. So why send the extra on a car that is only marginally faster than the new Boxster and likely isn't as tossable? I just don't see a base 911 as being worth the sizable premium that Porsche is charging over and above the 981. The base 911 spec sheet should have an entry that reads "911 Snob Appeal - $20,000" because that's really what most are paying for. Me, I'll keep the cash and enjoy my bargain.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by caveatesq1
Looking forward to your impressions. I struggled with a decision between and bare bones 991 coupe or a nicely equipped 981 Boxster S. In the end, I put my money down on a July build Boxster.
I am in the same process of deciding on a 991 or 981S.

Just saw the 981 and it is a great looking Porsche. There are flat spots on the top fender panels that are rounded on all other models currently in the line up. Some real distinct lines that are very different from the 991. The new spoiler design really surprised me too! It was in the raised position and it really looks correct. Will have to see it down tomorrow to see if i still like it. For the reveal, they had the Carrera GT as well as a 550 Spyder, and it's amazing how it resembles the Carrera GT yet with different lines in the curves. Can't say it enough, it looks phenomenal!! Can't wait to drive it tomorrow, just hope I get some dry track!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:52 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, if I were looking for a Porsche convertible I would go for a Boxster S over a 911 cab. I am not a fan of soft top 911s. The 911 has always been designed as a coupe, so turning it into a convertible has always been a compromise. The chassis has to be reinforced and even with this, 911 convertibles never have the structural rigidy of the coupe it was born from. They are 160 to 250 lbs heavier (depending on model) than the similar coupe model. More weight and a weaker chassis = less performance. This means that a 911 cab is ALWAYS a compromise.

The Boxster on the other hand was designed to be a convertible from the start. The entire chassis was designed to retain weight from the lower subframe instead of being reinforced as with the 911. When Porsche made the Cayman (aka Coxster = Coupe-Boxster) they added a solid roof structure yet it neither gained a real improvement in structural rigidy or reduction in weight. In fact, if you saw any of the Boxster Spyder vs. Cayman R tests, the Boxster Spyder outperformed the Cayman R in every one.

Finally, have you seen the New Boxster? It simply looks fantastic. It is a lot better looking than the new 911 from any angle that you look at it. The front end has a lot of Carrera GT in it and looks far better integrated than the 991 front end. I am very turned off by the back end of the 991 where the tail lights and bumper lines looking awkward while the new Boxster is incredibly sharp. The integrated spoiler with the rear tailights is very sharp. The side profile with the scoops that run along the doors is so sharp that it makes the Boxster look like a much more expensive car. The Boxster actually gets a nicer styled dash than the new 911. Finally, now that Porsche reduced the displacement of the base Carrera to the same 3.4l as the Boxster S, it really makes it hard to justify the price difference even with the 35 hp rating difference; most of which can be made up with just an upgraded exhaust. Due to the lighter weight of the Boxster S, you should not see a performance compromise versus the base Carrera Cab.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 05-07-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:01 AM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Personally, if I were looking for a Porsche convertible I would go for a Boxster S over a 911 cab. I am not a fan of soft top 911s. The 911 has always been designed as a coupe, so turning it into a convertible has always been a compromise. The chassis has to be reinforced and even with this, 911 convertibles never have the structural rigidy of the coupe it was born from. They are 160 to 250 lbs heavier (depending on model) than the similar coupe model. More weight and a weaker chassis = less performance. This means that a 911 cab is ALWAYS a compromise.

The Boxster on the other hand was designed to be a convertible from the start. The entire chassis was designed to retain weight from the lower subframe instead of being reinforced as with the 911. When Porsche made the Cayman (aka Coxster = Coupe-Boxster) they added a solid roof structure yet it neither gained a real improvement in structural rigidy or reduction in weight. In fact, it you saw any of the Boxster Spyder vs. Cayman R tests, the Boxster Spyder outperformed the Cayman R in every one.

Finally, have you seen the New Boxster? It simply looks fantastic. It is a lot better looking than the new 911 from any angle that you look at it. The front end has a lot of Carrera GT in it and looks far better integrated than the 991 front end. I am very turned off by the back end of the 991 where the tail lights and bumper lines looking awkward while the new Boxster is incredibly sharp. The integrated spoiler with the rear tailights is very sharp. The side profile with the scoops that run along the doors is so sharp that it makes the Boxster look like a much more expensive car. The Boxster actually gets a nicer styled dash than the new 911. Finally, now that Porsche reduced the displacement of the base Carrera to the same 3.4l as the Boxster S, it really makes it hard to justify the price difference even with the 35 hp rating difference; most of which can be made up with just an upgraded exhaust. Due to the lighter weight of the Boxster S, you should not see a performance compromise versus the base Carrera Cab.
Now that's the right answer - well though out comments. IMO I don't understand why anyone would buy the 991 cab over a 981 S, the Boxster is much cheaper, better looking and probably a better sports car. simple decision!!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:41 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

It is a simple decision for me, since I can't fit comfortably in a Boxster. Not enough room in the cabin for a) legroom AND b) comfortable seat back incline. I can get one or the other, but not both.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:14 AM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
i configured a new Boxster S on the website. I came in at $92,000!!!
Yep, mine was a little higher, but the old saying about "poor man's Porsche" is over with this new model. You just cannot call it that anymore!

Mine will be built Sept. 5 and supposed to be here by the end of the month. Can't wait!!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:35 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dunno guys...how do you put a price differential of 30K up as a reason for not buying a Carrera Cab over a Boxster? These are two totally different cars in terms of pedigree, substance, appearance, usability and so on.. etc. The only thing they share is the same manufacturer, the topless appearance along with now the 3.4 engine, but with the engine there is still a power differential, although deliberate. Two awesome cars guys. It's a tough call and i don't know if its right that 30k can be used as an excuse to buy or not to buy one over the other. At the end of the day the 911 is a 911 and as good as it is may well be the Boxster will always be a Boxster.

To me there is more to the 911 than simply a comparison of engines and driving sensations and a price tag of 30K. I gotta say if money wasn't an issue either way, then for me it would be the Carrera hands down purely because as a car it has more to it.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 AM
caveatesq1
Intermediate

It's funny how these responses just keep coming back to "it's a 911 so it's okay that it cost $30k more."
Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting read. It does seem to come down to "styling" and "pedigree" which I thought was the case. Interesting to find how many love the new Boxster's styling. I personally think it way over the top and too busy. For such a small car the side scoops are way to exaggerated and the rear spoiler seems anything from "form follows function" if you buy into that argument. The 991 is just the essence of simplicity and love that it is timeless. As to the 911 cab being a bad port from the coupe most reviews I have read suggest 991 cab performance difference is almost nonexistent. Its that good and for me with the top down it is simply gorgeous.

Quick Reply: Boxster S vs Base 991 cab