Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S vs Base 991 cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 PM
packwest
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Galion, I would disagree with you there. The MR-2 looked like the Boxster when it was re-designed. The new Boxster looks like the MR-2, but the Boxster came first.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So today was the first wave of training at Barber Motorsports Park for the 981 launch. All cars were S models with PDK and Sport Chrono. The car I started with had 10 miles on it when i cranked it up. My group of 6 cars started on a road drive that was a 35 miles jaunt thru hills and roads that were twisty and varied in surface quality. All of our driving events today were managed and conducted by PSDS instructors.

The new car being wider and longer wheel based, rides better and is more stable than the 987. Plus you have the roomier cabin, and finally you can adjust a Boxster seat just how you want it. I'm six foot 265lbs with an NFL build and I had seat adjustment left in every direction, plenty of it. I like the Sport Chrono gage not being so obnoxious high in the middle of the dash, unlike the 991. However I do not like the reduction of analog gauges that exist in the 991

I noticed the electro-magnetic steering more at first on the road part of the drive. I really do no remember feeling it as much at first in the 991 and it is a lot lighter feel than the 987. As the day progressed, especially on track, I found the steering to be great and easily gave me proper feedback if I made the car under steer. Chassis dip on hard braking is nearly non existent and getting into anti lock doesn't produce that jitter thru the wheel. I think it's turn 7 where you put the left wheels over the strip and the contact loss causes some anti lock jitter and the 981 steering was great thru that section of the track.

Overall the car is a super quick fun car to drive. I am going to stay out of the debate other than mentioning that if you want/need a rear seat, you have only one choice regarding the OP.

I'm tired as hell and will leave the debate with this. The 981 IMO is a great looking and unbelievable handling sports car. We also had the BMW Z4, SLK or TTS and those cars had no hope on the track against the 981. I doubt anyone who gets it will be disappointed.
Goodnight!

Last edited by Abby Normal; 05-08-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

[quote=SSST;9510711]
Originally Posted by Galion
You really think that looks like the new BoxSter? Time to break down and get those readers you've been avoiding. It's okay. It happens to all of us.
Right...time for readers....
Attached Images   
Old 05-08-2012, 05:01 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by packwest
Thus, the extra $30k does really boil down to subjective things like heritage, prestige, brand, etc.
Is that all the 30K really boils down to? Now.. cmon

Originally Posted by packwest
Galion, I would disagree with you there. The MR-2 looked like the Boxster when it was re-designed. The new Boxster looks like the MR-2, but the Boxster came first.
It doesn't matter which way you slice it, those photos don't lie. On the other hand, 991 Cab has the unmistakeable sillouhette of the 911. So, it has essentially only copied itself by revising the 911's sillouhette from previously.

And whilst it may be said 991's tailight design has an Aston Martin'ish look, an Aston is somehow just a wee bit more of a styling statement than an MR2 id've said .

Anyhoooo... Something tells me Porsche is looking pretty safe putting their hand out for an extra 30. You're lucky it's not more..
Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 AM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speed21

I basically agree with what you say, but there is more to it. Like i said above; Price the two models the same and see which one sells more than the other. The reality is, there is more to a 991 911 than the 981 than just performance alone. A Porsche person should be (particularly) able to intelligently rationalise and determine these areas easily. A BMW person with clear family practicality requirements may not. To say the extra $ is all just "snob" money as some have suggested, is at best fanciful thinking or at worst, $green envy.
Speed, I did not mean to imply otherwise. I thought it best to side step that issue as I already have too many long threads to follow!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by tmg57
Speed, I did not mean to imply otherwise. I thought it best to side step that issue as I already have too many long threads to follow!
Thats cool. I didn't take it you were personally thinking that. Just added it in my reply, directed at those that thought there were no other justifiable differences for the additional $
Old 05-08-2012, 12:53 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 949 Likes on 448 Posts

I've owned ten Porsches with five of them being 911's and none being Boxsters. Not sure if that qualifies me as a "Porsche person", but from someone who should lean towards the 911 based on my history, I am more drawn to the new Boxster. Maybe the recession has changed my perspective on things, but I see the 981 as a potentially great car and a great value. While the 911 is certainly a greater car, it strikes me as being an average to below average value. The local dealer told me price has been the most frequent deal killer for the 991 and loyal 911 owners are searching for alternatives. I think the 981 is going to be one hell of an alternative for those who must have their Porsche fix but don't want to lay out $130K.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if you can't afford a Boxster theres always the Mazda Miata! Don't know where that gets you on the value level. At every price point there is value but less as price goes up. Have to agree that its the "snob" appeal that partially sells 911s. I've always loved Mustangs but did not want to drive a car that my neighbor's kid could afford. Yep I'm a snob!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:24 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 949 Likes on 448 Posts

Ordered my 981 with the model designation "delete". If anyone asks if it's the new MR2, I'll be sure to chime in.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM
jason74
Instructor

Much of the price difference questions will be much more interesting when shopping used 991 cab vs new Boxster S in 2 years. How does this scenario play out when about equal dollars?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There is a limit.

Originally Posted by clutchplate
I've owned ten Porsches with five of them being 911's and none being Boxsters. Not sure if that qualifies me as a "Porsche person", but from someone who should lean towards the 911 based on my history, I am more drawn to the new Boxster. Maybe the recession has changed my perspective on things, but I see the 981 as a potentially great car and a great value. While the 911 is certainly a greater car, it strikes me as being an average to below average value. The local dealer told me price has been the most frequent deal killer for the 991 and loyal 911 owners are searching for alternatives. I think the 981 is going to be one hell of an alternative for those who must have their Porsche fix but don't want to lay out $130K.
I originally went looking for a Boxster S Black version but couldnt resist good deal on new 2012 997 S cab 991 price put me over of my self imposed limit.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 PM
SSST
Drifting

Somebody dressed up and MR2 to look like a Boxter (and didn't do a very good job of it). A couple of months ago I ran across a picture of a Z370 with an aero kit designed to make it look like a 911. Other than the headlights, it looked a whole lot like a 911. I wish I could find that picture.

Mimickry is the highest form of flattery. Aston Martin and Jag must be proud.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Ha! I'd be interested in seing that Nissan Z for kicks and giggles. I think the Z is so much better looking than the GT-R.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by clutchplate
I agree with your thinking on 911 now being average to below average value. I think it really started with 997.2's pricing. Porsche has now lifted their pricing again to a level where they are at risk of killing off their regular/loyal 911 customer base. In many cases that is leaving the option of taking a new Boxster instead, or hold onto your existing 911. I recall at the opening of 991, the number of 911 owners saying how the price of the new car is way out of sinc with market reality. There are a lot of Porsche customers getting fed up. When you look at the economy and general direction where many car manufacturers now give more car for the same or less money than before, and then when you look at Porsches pricing and the option list they put up, yikes, it's arrogance gone bizarre!! I guess there are still many willing to pay the $ or down spec their 911's to a level they can afford but the pricing is too dear$. So yes on that score Boxster does represent a more affordable Cabrio, although it isnt getting cheaper either... Where will it end?

Originally Posted by skinzy
And if you can't afford a Boxster theres always the Mazda Miata! Don't know where that gets you on the value level. At every price point there is value but less as price goes up. Have to agree that its the "snob" appeal that partially sells 911s. I've always loved Mustangs but did not want to drive a car that my neighbor's kid could afford. Yep I'm a snob!
Too funny.

And true. Snob value does represent a component of the price without a doubt.....but not all of it.

Originally Posted by fbroen
Ha! I'd be interested in seing that Nissan Z for kicks and giggles. I think the Z is so much better looking than the GT-R.
That wouldn't be too hard. The GTR's a terrible looking thing. If it didnt have the perfromance credentials people wouldn't even look at it....except to throw off at it. Its amazing how performance can change the looks of a car for some people...

The GTR also looks horrible on the road when it's moving.... like a fruitbox on wheels....whereas the 911 looks even better when it's moving.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 AM
packwest
Advanced

Speed21, you realize that Porsche is the MOST profitable car company in the world don't you? The inflated prices of the 911 and its variants are contributing factors.

Quick Reply: Boxster S vs Base 991 cab