Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 PSDS review

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Regardless of which side of the fence you're on, the repeated put downs of one car or the other and baiting of other members followed by smirking with smiley faces and LOL's seems pretty juvenile. A bunch of supposedly successful adult professionals acting like adolescents is kind of unseemly, IMHO. Typical internet, I suppose, but I thought this forum was a cut above.

So, anyone I've managed not to offend?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Regardless of which side of the fence you're on, the repeated put downs of one car or the other and baiting of other members followed by smirking with smiley faces and LOL's seems pretty juvenile. A bunch of supposedly successful adult professionals acting like adolescents is kind of unseemly, IMHO. Typical internet, I suppose, but I thought this forum was a cut above.

So, anyone I've managed not to offend?

So true. Childish barely covers it.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:53 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Interestingly the 997 stick put down a faster lap than the 991 PDK
Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJones
the general consensus of the class is that the 997 is a better car..
I guess I am missing something here. I realize that "better" is a relative term that needs to be considered in context. One car may be "better" for family vacations while another may be "better" for off-roading. I would think, however, that if the context involves a racetrack (as in PSDS), the comparison becomes much easier. Assuming the cars are in roughly the same "class" of design and HP, the car that laps the track faster would be "better" in that context. I can't speak from personal experience, but, from what I've read, I doubt that Hurley or any other capable driver would turn faster laps in a 997.2 C2S than in a 991 C2S. Further, it appears that the lady's (sic) 991 is as fast as the track oriented GT3 from the previous generation (at Nurburgring at least).

(posted this before reading MJones post above. Would like more detail on that report).

Last edited by tmg57; 04-23-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: newer post
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Mike: really? I mean really. With all the crap some who shall go nameless for now dished out in every way as to how and why the 991 was "better in nearly every way" on 997 forums.... because MJ comes in with a thread noting his impressions and the overall consensus and time comparisons and it's somehow wrong to do so?

Why? Is it that the information is not consistent with the party line?

Remember what I said about those Ring times? Well...
Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Mike: really? I mean really. With all the crap some who shall go nameless for now dished out in every way as to how and why the 991 was "better in nearly every way" on 997 forums.... because MJ comes in with a thread noting his impressions and the overall consensus and time comparisons and it's somehow wrong to do so?

Why? Is it that the information is not consistent with the party line?

Remember what I said about those Ring times? Well...
If you're talking about me Waxer, you're going to have to be more specific with examples. The only even remotely negative thing I've ever said about the 997 (I have one remember? best car I've ever owned) is about it's steering at very high speed. I've been positive about the 991 but never put down the 997 or anyone who owns one (lady's car, poser's car, outdated tech, etc) while doing it. I also never said it was wrong to have a differing opinion (there's no "party line" AFAIC) just that the opinion can be expressed without being juvenile or insulting about it. To your example, I disagreed with you about Ring times but didn't put you down over it.

As I said in my post above, it's unfortunate that people on both sides of the fence can't express themselves without devolving to third grade level.

As to Mjones post about a 997 stick being faster than a 991 PDK that's very interesting and surprising since it goes counter to every single test I've seen (admittedly I haven't seen them all) and most agree even a 997 PDK is faster than a 997 stick. More data and information on the circumstances would be worth hearing about.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love irony because it just happens. LOL! (that last part is sarcasm, not to be confused with irony)
Old 04-24-2012, 12:51 AM
zanwar
Pro

Interestingly the 997 stick put down a faster lap than the 991 PDK
What flavour of 997, GT3 or Carrera?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:46 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ManhattanSpin
I am sort of just going to trust the folks at Motor Trend, Road&Track, NY Times, Car&Driver, etc. who have all said this is not only the best 911 ever, but the best all-around sports car in the world.
I am the sort to trust a die-hard 911 owner (drives his GT3 cross-country) that is clearly open to the new Porsche way (also owns a Panamera), rather than journalists pampered by manufacturers.

Clearly there are some posting in this thread that are not aware MJones is one of the greatest contributors to this website.

And, yes, it is a fact that Porsche's intention is to increase sports car sales while raising prices, therefore requiring widening of their customer base...which means making sports cars more appealing to women than the fringe enthusiast.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 04-24-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Ive chewed out my knee bracing against the door of a 997 (C2S and T4S) everytime I have driven one at the ring... the speaker grille should be renamed "knee grater" ...
I grated my left knee on the track in my 997 every time as well.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Mike: not referring to you. You have always been civil.

None of it is serious to me. It's just a car. It only crosses the line when people get personal.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
What flavour of 997, GT3 or Carrera?
997 Carrera S 6 speed
...vs...
991 Carrera S PDK
Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

As I said in my post above, it's unfortunate that people on both sides of the fence can't express themselves without devolving to third grade level.
c'mon, Mike, what side, what fence? it is just a car.
there are a lot of people who have their own preferences. there are people who even take RS america or even earlier tub and put 997 cup motor and sequential box into it, just because it feels nicer to their taste. to each his own.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 AM
tmg57
Racer

997 Carrera S 6 speed
...vs...
991 Carrera S PDK
Same driver, tires, track condition, etc? If so, is it your conclusion that the 997 S is a faster track car than the 991 S? Is that also the conclusion of the other students and instructors at PSDS?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
Same driver, tires, track condition, etc? If so, is it your conclusion that the 997 S is a faster track car than the 991 S? Is that also the conclusion of the other students and instructors at PSDS?
That seems to go against a lot of what was written about the 991, but I'd love to hear more about this comparison.

Quick Reply: 991 PSDS review