Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual transmission impressions - Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 01:49 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Indeed a great color, Permafrost! Aqua Blue Metallic was introduced in MY2009 for the 997.2 and 987 Boxsters/Caymans. Interestingly, it was one of the few colors offered on the .2 gt3 RS ('10 &'11), which is quite an honor! It was also one of only seven colors available on the limited production Boxster Spyder ('11 & '12). Aqua Blue is perhaps the rarest 'standard' color to find on that model! Finally, it earned the right to be transferred over to the new generation 991 & 981, which can not be said for many of the old colors that didn't make the cut!

I decided to mix my Aqua Blue Metallic Spyder with the striking Carrera Red leather interior (with charcoal Alcantara & deviating black carpet) for a colorful & rather unique (at least in US) combination!

Best of luck with your new 7-speed Aqua Blue Metallic 991!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images   

Last edited by Z356; 04-21-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:03 AM
rajtw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Georgeous car. I must say, everyone who sees my Aqua Blue in person loves it. Long live aqua blue.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Very very nice car. It must be striking every time you open that driver's door and you get the visual mix of the blue, silver, black and gray. Good leather smell? (we want the FULL experience)
Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 AM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Indeed a great color, Permafrost! Aqua Blue Metallic was introduced in MY2009 for the 997.2 and 987 Boxsters/Caymans. Interestingly, it was one of the few colors offered on the .2 gt3 RS ('10 &'11), which is quite an honor! It was also one of only seven colors available on the limited production Boxster Spyder ('11 & '12). Aqua Blue is perhaps the rarest 'standard' color to find on that model! Finally, it earned the right to be transferred over to the new generation 991 & 981, which can not be said for many of the old colors that didn't make the cut!

I decided to mix my Aqua Blue Metallic Spyder with the striking Carrera Red leather interior (with charcoal Alcantara & deviating black carpet) for a colorful & rather unique (at least in US) combination!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Stunning combination on your Boxster, and so refreshing after what seems like decades of grey-on-grey modern Porsches.

Kudos for buying the Porsche you wanted to own, and not the Porsche you wanted to re-sell.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome color & overall spec; enjoy in good health!
It really suites the 991.
Post some more driving impressions...
Old 04-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Zmoney3982
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

MANUAL TRANSMISSION IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. ALSO RACING YELLOW IS A VAAAST IMPROVEMENT OVER SPEED YELLOW.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Very very nice!

Enjoy.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:04 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
That's a fantastic combination. I had a Polar Silver and Boxster Red (full) leather interior on my 986 back when it first came out. For my 991 I considered getting the red leather interior with Aqua Blue, but couldn't decide if it would 'work' and ended up going with the black leather interior with Aqua Blue. Looking at your Spyder, the red and blue combination clearly does work.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by sapman
That's a fantastic combination. I had a Polar Silver and Boxster Red (full) leather interior on my 986 back when it first came out. For my 991 I considered getting the red leather interior with Aqua Blue, but couldn't decide if it would 'work' and ended up going with the black leather interior with Aqua Blue. Looking at your Spyder, the red and blue combination clearly does work.
Thanks Sapman. Yes, I think it works very well, although not everyone thought it would when I first ordered it. Now that these 'doubting thomases' have see it in person, they universally love it. Selecting a color combination for the Spyder was totally different than the experience the OP had ordering his beautiful Aqua 991. The latter had many interesting choices, I didn't. Porsche limited the Spyders to very few interiors - Black, Sand Beige, Carrera Red & Cocoa Brown (the latter dropped for MY2012) - and only seven exterior hues - Carrara White, Guards Red, Black, Basalt Black Metallic, Arctic Silver then Platinum Silver, Aqua Blue Metallic and Creme White (special at $3K+ cost). I started my selection by the interior color choices. No two tone interiors were offered, as it was to the OP on his 991. For the Spyder, the Black was extremely common. The Sand Beige, to me, was not a deep enough color - unlike the beautiful Natural Brown offered on the 997! And the Cocoa Brown, which was also dark and somber, was not offered in MY2012! So Carrera Red was it for me!

In its limited two model year production run, Carrara White was the most popular exterior color on the Spyder. And many of these did have a Carrera Red Interior! There were some red interiors with the Silvers & Blacks (Creme was rarely selected & not very popular), but less than you would have expected. Interestingly, a Carrera Red interior on an Aqua Blue Metallic Spyder had never been yet ordered by anyone in the US! There was one produced for Europe because I had seen a photo of it. I contacted the 'Porsche Exclusive' Department in Germany hoping that they could help me with the decision. Unfortunately, they had not seen that combination ordered on any model handled by their department (e.g. on a 997.2 or a 987) so they couldn't provide any photos to see what it would look like. They did offer a couple of suggestions, however, that did proved useful. One was the option of deviating carpet color in Black to mellow out the overwhelming visual of 'Red' that most Carrera Red interiors project! I also decided to add the optional Alcantara door panels to increase the black/red contrast in the interior. In the end, I took the chance and went with my gut feeling. I think this combination does justice to the unique look of the Spyder and increases its already elevated eye appeal!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 PM
muifast
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful. I was leaning towards the dark blue, now aqua just seems show the profile more...

Quick Reply: Manual transmission impressions - Day 1