Sponsored by:

Manual transmission impressions - Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Permafrost
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual transmission impressions - Day 1

I picked up my manual S yesterday. Prior to delivery, I had read a lot of concern regarding pedal placement, footwell width, shifter position, etc. I read that all with a grain of salt, relying on or hoping that Porsche knew what they were doing with this gearbox, and the new platform in general. My trust was well founded.

First, I understand the perspective of traditionalists who think the 911 has become more of a GT car and less of a sports car. I think there's a lot of validity to that. At the same time, given that I have a cup car for the track, and have owned a 996 GT3 for the street, I didn't want this car to be a track oriented vehicle. So, I guess I'm in Porsche's target market, and you should take my comments from that perspective.

From a transmission standpoint, the 991 is all 911. The pedal placement is very good. Heel-toe is no problem. The shifting is smooth, and the 7th gear lock out is actually nice. When you go for 5th, you simply slide the lever all the way to the right, and then voila, you can then shift again to the right into either 6th or 7th.

The interior is beautiful. I have the two-tone black and platinum interior. I like how it creates an internal beltline, and the deviated stitching is a very nice, subtle touch (I'll update photos this weekend). The standard S exhaust is great. I didn't go with PSE, and I'm sure it's fantastic, but when the symposer is on (sport mode), you get a very deep, visceral note from the exhaust. It's plenty good for me.

I have the 18 way adjustable seats. I debated this option. It's expensive and I presume the seats are heavy. On the other hand, the stock seats in my 996 GT3 were horrible, with basically no lateral support, and I just didn't want that in this car. The 18 way seats are awesome. If you are so inclined, you can have the side and seat bottom bolsters lock you into position, and yet they are still very, very comfortable.

My biggest gamble, if you will, was the exterior color. My kids laugh about all of our cars being white, silver, or black. I haven't had a color like this in 20 years, and I have to say that I'm thrilled with it. I think it's very striking without being over the top.

Hope this is interesting reading for all the MT expectant owners out there!

Jim
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2012, 09:11 AM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Absolutely beautiful car. I saw that exact color at the Chicago Autoshow! That color will "pop" in the sunlight. Really nice
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Beautiful! Congratulations!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:37 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Congrats!
I was waiting for a long time to hear a first impression of a manual 991. Thanks. I knew Porsche will deliver.
Can't wait to test drive the manual!
Enjoy it in good health!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Beautiful car. Congratulations.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice, I see you got it at Carousel!

How different from a normal 6 speed does the 7 speed feel? Are the gears stacked closer together and cause you to shift more frequently because of it, or is it a 6 speed with an overdrive tacked on?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
Nice, I see you got it at Carousel!

How different from a normal 6 speed does the 7 speed feel? Are the gears stacked closer together and cause you to shift more frequently because of it, or is it a 6 speed with an overdrive tacked on?
7th is taller than the 997's 6th...it's an overdrive.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:21 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
7th is taller than the 997's 6th...it's an overdrive.
Yes I know that. What I want to know is if the other 6 gears are much closer together which would lead to more frequent shifting. I ask because the PDK seems to shift through gears a lot, up and down. I can see that getting tiring after a while if doing it manually.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

beautiful color. I thought about ordering aqua blue to match my GT3 but got agate gray. I'm a little jealous!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Permafrost
Advanced

Thanks for the congratulations, guys, I really appreciate it. I think I read that the gearing is basically the same 1-6 as the old transmission with a 7th overdrive tacked on. I would say that this is about how it feels.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 266 Posts

Can't wait to see the update with more photos / interior photos. Sounds like a great color combination!

Glad to hear that you are happy with the 7 speed so far. I'm leaning that way myself for when I order.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:54 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Looks great, love the blue. Please post more photos when you get the chance.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
Yes I know that. What I want to know is if the other 6 gears are much closer together which would lead to more frequent shifting. I ask because the PDK seems to shift through gears a lot, up and down. I can see that getting tiring after a while if doing it manually.
I looked for but couldn't find the exact ratios for the new 7sp MT. However, it achieves top speed in 6th gear just like the 6sp MT does. To continue to keep the engine in the power band between shifts and to give performance similar to the 6sp MT, the first 6 gears of the 7 speed must very nearly the same.

Also, the 7 speed manual is based on the 7 speed PDK. The first six gears ratios in a PDK box currently match very closely the ones in the 6sp MT. 7th is just an extra OD gear, as you know. I'm willing to bet the ratios of the 7sp MT will also closely match PDK right up through 7th gear.

If it seems PDK shifts a lot, it's because the software is making that determination; it's not because the gear ratios are spaced any differently than the MT.

BTW to the OP; that's a great looking car and I love the color. Congrats!

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-19-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the color. Congrats!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:56 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Awesome color, enjoy!

Quick Reply: Manual transmission impressions - Day 1