Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rumor : 991 GT3 manual with PDK optional!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts
Default New rumor : 991 GT3 manual with PDK optional!!!

This is what Carbuzz is stating :

' Wild Speed Renders the 2014 Porsche 911 GT3

It was recently reported that Porsche was moving to drop the manual for the upcoming 911 GT3, with 911 project chief August Achleitner claiming that only one, either the manual or the PDK, transmission will be offered.

The latest rumors are now suggesting the 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 will come with a proper manual stickshift as standard, leaving the PDK as an option, which will come as a big relief to the purists who enjoy the intuitive experience of shifting gears unaided.
Inspired by this bit of good news, rendering artist Wild Speed has presented his interpretation of the new GT3, based largely on spy shots and speculation. The 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 is rumored to deliver a whopping 450hp from the 3.8-liter boxer engine, and as the current 911 Carrera 2S is as fast around the Nurburgring as the old GT3, expect big things from the track-focused iteration.

The front could easily mimic the 991's aerokit, but with a sportier front lip, while at the rear a double central exhaust and svelte but wide spoiler is expected. The rear bumper in the renderings "is purely fiction." '

Last edited by neanicu; 03-31-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I've seen this "latest" rumor and other sources that are still saying one transmission choice only, most likely PDK. I don't think anyone outside of Porsche (and maybe not even them) knows yet. Would be nice if it were true, though.....
Old 04-09-2012, 07:17 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really hope the GT3 is available with a manual trans. The new 991 PDK is nice, but still not as good as an old school manual.

The render looks fantastic, would love to see the production car come out like that.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Porshapwr
Advanced

Really hope they don't go PDK only. That would be a major let down.

The renders are stunning.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:15 AM
hakaida702
Racer

I think they should offer both, but if the GT3 can only have one transmission then it should be manual. And I'm a guy that can no longer drive stick due to an auto accident that required 2 level fusion surgery and now have burning pain in my shoulders which makes driving manual a painful experience. I just think that some things should stay the same. But if it is available with pdk I might just buy one even though the regular C2S is plenty of car for me.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:17 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

I know the debate has been beaten to death.

My take is that PDK will allow me to better daily drive with a coffee and cell phone. .

It will also allow me to be faster on the track with the pesky Vipers and Vettes.

No more heal/toe and ability to keep both hands on the wheel while tracking is perfect for precision driving.

That being said, if only an occassional driver i would certainly want a manual for weekend blasts etc.

All depends what one wants to do with the car.

Porsche will most certainly offer both.

I will wait until 2014+ for the be all end all 991 RS. Not sure what my intentions for the car will be at that time so transmission choice will be up in the air for me.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Here's the reality for Porsche. If they offer both options 90% of people will take the PDK. So is it worth it to them from a business standpoint to develop a manual for so few takers? But then again if Porsche didn't cater to purists the 911 would have been mid-engined a long time ago. So will they offer a manual? Maybe. But they will certainly have PDK.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71
Here's the reality for Porsche. If they offer both options 90% of people will take the PDK. So is it worth it to them from a business standpoint to develop a manual for so few takers? But then again if Porsche didn't cater to purists the 911 would have been mid-engined a long time ago. So will they offer a manual? Maybe. But they will certainly have PDK.
At present, given what little we know about the 991, the GT3 variant will be a C2S with a power kit and some suspension geometry and spring-damper rates to tweak the handling, maybe a separate SC/TC button ... otherwise, it will be just the usual parts-bin engineering we've been seeing (bigger brakes, a bit of aero-stuff changed around the bolt-on panels, and some seats.) Since the base car has 7spd and PDK, no reason to remove either option from the GT3 and RS. We're yet to see a wide-body variant and who knows, it could come in the rumored C4S with its own half-way power kit (say 20 hp) or any number of variations on the theme. I think Mr Porsche wants to get the 997 off the showroom floor, so perhaps the Turbo is the next star to walk on the stage. It seems they were in a hurry to "GTS" (another word for "end of model year") the Panamera, so perhaps they have an earlier facelift to walk out on stage in Beijing, too.

I have to admit that I expected the 991 to be a continued sell-out success, but maybe it's just winter blues and come spring, we'll get a real measure of the market (also meaning perhaps dealers are currently holding higher prices in anticipation of spring selling.)

The last thing they need to do is fumble like the 2010 GT3 introduction (delayed availability of the engine mounts, unflattering performance and specifications comparison to the '08 GT3.)

Other than someone wanting PDK, it's going to be a peculiar decision to buy the 991 GT3 for the track at about the same money as a very low mile 2010-2011 GT3 RS, so they have to cater to the road driver as the buyer.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, if I was buying a GT3 for the track, and the fastest lap times were my goal, I would get a PDK.

Don't get me wrong. There is a lot I don't care for in the new 991, and I love my 6speed, but faster is faster in the world of racing.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

The government has pretty much ended any reason to include a manual transmission on the new GT3. I hate the nanny state with every fiber in my body:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has announced plans to update the agency's current vehicle safety standards. In order to protect drivers in the event they depress both the accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time, automakers will be required to install a bake-throttle override on new vehicles moving forward. The hope is that the systems will curb instances of unintended acceleration. The new standards will apply on all cars, trucks and buses regardless of weight. NHTSA says many manufacturers are already including similar systems on their products.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/12/n.../#aol-comments
Old 04-13-2012, 02:14 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

if they have a pdk model i will get one, i like the purists nature of the gT3, but pdk is the future (case and point ferrari)
Old 04-15-2012, 02:38 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71
The government has pretty much ended any reason to include a manual transmission on the new GT3. I hate the nanny state with every fiber in my body:

Quote:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has announced plans to update the agency's current vehicle safety standards. In order to protect drivers in the event they depress both the accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time, automakers will be required to install a bake-throttle override on new vehicles moving forward. The hope is that the systems will curb instances of unintended acceleration. The new standards will apply on all cars, trucks and buses regardless of weight. NHTSA says many manufacturers are already including similar systems on their products.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/12/n.../#aol-comments
That's just nuts! Sometimes you want to be able to do both!!

Who runs these departments???
Old 04-15-2012, 11:14 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

I spoke yesterday with a guy from Porsche at the New York Autoshow. He was calling himself an European Delivery ' expert '.
He said he believes that Porsche will introduce the 991 GT3 with a PDK transmission and later you'll be able to order a manual,just like they did with the 991 C2S.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
That's just nuts! Sometimes you want to be able to do both!!

Who runs these departments???
Ahh...Edgy.....that's pretty much the way its been on a 911 since the manual throttle exited with the 996.1 GT3.....
Old 04-23-2012, 01:49 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
At present, given what little we know about the 991, the GT3 variant will be a C2S with a power kit and some suspension geometry and spring-damper rates to tweak the handling, maybe a separate SC/TC button ...
if factory will be stupid enough to devalue the brand by producing gt3 cars using street car as a base instead of a cup car it will mean pretty much the end of a GT3 and GT3 RS lines. who in the world would need a 'GT3' if it is just a re-branded same street car not tested on a track and incapable to accept 'bolt on' most of motorsports cup parts for tuning/modifications?

Porsche must be really stupid or may be get VW morons in charge to make such a decision.

Quick Reply: New rumor : 991 GT3 manual with PDK optional!!!