Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rumor : 991 GT3 manual with PDK optional!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
if factory will be stupid enough to devalue the brand by producing gt3 cars using street car as a base instead of a cup car it will mean pretty much the end of a GT3 and GT3 RS lines. who in the world would need a 'GT3' if it is just a re-branded same street car not tested on a track and incapable to accept 'bolt on' most of motorsports cup parts for tuning/modifications?

Porsche must be really stupid or may be get VW morons in charge to make such a decision.
Other than the part number on the engine case, the GT3 and RS have very little in common with the Cup, even less with the RSR. That's not to put down the GT3, but it is to recognize the engineering R&D undertaking that separates a factory race car from a production line sports car.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:14 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Other than the part number on the engine case, the GT3 and RS have very little in common with the Cup, even less with the RSR. That's not to put down the GT3, but it is to recognize the engineering R&D undertaking that separates a factory race car from a production line sports car.
'very little in common' is when you cannot unbolt stock part and put instead of it a motorsports part anymore.
anything in 997 gt3 and plenty in 997 street car is interchangable with cup car - hubs, arms, strut mounts, master brake cylinder, steering, shifter cables, etc., because it is essentially same design of a same car with same mount points for most parts and 99% same tub.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
'very little in common' is when you cannot unbolt stock part and put instead of it a motorsports part anymore.
anything in 997 gt3 and plenty in 997 street car is interchangable with cup car - hubs, arms, strut mounts, master brake cylinder, steering, shifter cables, etc., because it is essentially same design of a same car with same mount points for most parts and 99% same tub.
That's stretching it. Anyway, all that junk will probably bolt onto the 991 GT3 from the whatever race car the 991 produces, presumably the engines will not be shared, but who knows, maybe Porsche will deliver on an 8 pot variant (there's ample space for a couple of extra in there now) or a displacement to compete with BMW or Ferrari or whatever comes next (4.4 litre?)

When I say little in common, I mean the engine is different in its internals, intake, exhaust, electronics, and the transaxle is different in its construction, gears and gearing, differential, the rear geometry is different, steering* ... if all those things are different and not interchangeable on any GT3 road car to Cup car, that's little in common.

* I'm pretty sure Viperbob put a Cup steering rack and electric over hydraulic power assist in a road car ('03 Turbo?) but I wouldn't call that "in common" or "interchangeable" I'd call it surgery.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

That's stretching it. Anyway, all that junk will probably bolt onto the 991 GT3 from the whatever race car the 991 produces, presumably the engines will not be shared, but who knows, maybe Porsche will deliver on an 8 pot variant (there's ample space for a couple of extra in there now) or a displacement to compete with BMW or Ferrari or whatever comes next (4.4 litre?)

When I say little in common, I mean the engine is different in its internals, intake, exhaust, electronics, and the transaxle is different in its construction, gears and gearing, differential, the rear geometry is different, steering* ... if all those things are different and not interchangeable on any GT3 road car to Cup car, that's little in common.

* I'm pretty sure Viperbob put a Cup steering rack and electric over hydraulic power assist in a road car ('03 Turbo?) but I wouldn't call that "in common" or "interchangeable" I'd call it surgery.
Very little in common?
Monday and Tuesdays we tend to see a half empty glass..
Let's talk on Friday about this, starting from 996CUP /996GT3 : )

The electric steering is no surgery. Bob calls it an "operation" 'cause he wanted to be a doc..

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...onversion.html

Until they were out you could do it with factory parts in both series. (pretend that you don't care about losing your A/C)

Neil did it in the 6 using the mini electric pump of a Merc A-class. Brilliant.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:59 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

a 'surgery' is an insertion of entire 997 cup car drivetrain into 964 RS America tub.
simple bolt on operation that can be done by anybody with a wrench is not.
all 997 cars from base to cup are practically 99% same cars as ALL critical dimensions are same, mount points are same and most importantly - car behaves normally and drives normally after any acceptable swap.

Quick Reply: New rumor : 991 GT3 manual with PDK optional!!!