Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

The electric parking brake takes away a measure of safety when training a 15 year-new driver old how to drive. I taught my older children how to drive in Mazdaspeed3 and BMW manual cars with a handbrake I could grab if needed. I will have more difficulty with my soon to be 15 year old daughter in my 991s as it will be impossible to reach across her and push the electric parking brake if necessary.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
The electric parking brake takes away a measure of safety when training a 15 year-new driver old how to drive. I taught my older children how to drive in Mazdaspeed3 and BMW manual cars with a handbrake I could grab if needed. I will have more difficulty with my soon to be 15 year old daughter in my 991s as it will be impossible to reach across her and push the electric parking brake if necessary.
That is a genuine issue......
Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will have more difficulty with my soon to be 15 year old daughter in my 991s as it will be impossible to reach across her and push the electric parking brake if necessary.
go to driving school .. no risk of damage to your 991!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

After she has her license take her to a professional accident aviodance school(like the one offered by Bill Scott Racing and Summit Point). The instructors have brakes and throttles. By the end of the day she (and you if you also sign up, and all the police officers taking the course) will know more about braking than you thought there was to know - and never go near a parking brake, which on any modern car is useful for just that).
Old 08-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I was pushing my Spyder with dead battery around the garage the other day to get it out of the way. Would have proven much more difficult with an electronic e-brake.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:40 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love not having that ugly break stick in the cabin. Much easier to use the electric.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
That is a genuine issue......
it is, but mercedes have had a foot actuated parking brake for decades.

just gotta work around it.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

true......
Old 08-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Benz pedal parking brake is of the "ratchet with release lever" design and it's a royal pain. The Prius has the ratchet-and-release design which means you can push once to park or immediately push a second time to have a continuously variable control over the parking brake (excellent for all kinds of activities including sending the stability software into fits of apoplexy as the Prius pirouettes around the front wheels ... or so I would imagine ... : )

Anyway, with the pedal, you're using your left leg quads for something that should be applied with the feel and precision of your hand and arm ... people have a way of cranking the parking brake on as if to anchor a supertanker after spilling oil in Alaska.

I think it's one of those "signs" of an attentive driver to park the car out of gear and raise the parking brake with a thumb on the button to spare the mechanism while judging the lie of the land to deftly apply just enough pressure to hold the car reliably as it rests on the parking brake, not on the gear teeth of 1st gear, which has the unwelcome long term side effect of metal to metal as the oil is squeezed out of the way and it leaves the syncro compressed for the given gear for half the life of the car -- even reverse is usually just an idler on 1st, so that's not saving the car, plus it transfers load all the way to the working bearing surfaces of the engine. It's just not the intended workload of any of these parts.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The Benz pedal parking brake is of the "ratchet with release lever" design and it's a royal pain. The Prius has the ratchet-and-release design which means you can push once to park or immediately push a second time to have a continuously variable control over the parking brake (excellent for all kinds of activities including sending the stability software into fits of apoplexy as the Prius pirouettes around the front wheels ... or so I would imagine ... : )

Anyway, with the pedal, you're using your left leg quads for something that should be applied with the feel and precision of your hand and arm ... people have a way of cranking the parking brake on as if to anchor a supertanker after spilling oil in Alaska.

I think it's one of those "signs" of an attentive driver to park the car out of gear and raise the parking brake with a thumb on the button to spare the mechanism while judging the lie of the land to deftly apply just enough pressure to hold the car reliably as it rests on the parking brake, not on the gear teeth of 1st gear, which has the unwelcome long term side effect of metal to metal as the oil is squeezed out of the way and it leaves the syncro compressed for the given gear for half the life of the car -- even reverse is usually just an idler on 1st, so that's not saving the car, plus it transfers load all the way to the working bearing surfaces of the engine. It's just not the intended workload of any of these parts.
wow, a detailed analysis there.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:10 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porcedes for all? Handbrake, steering, what do we lose next?

Yes, you've got to make the most of the car you've got but it is still sad that we are forced to find workarounds to problems of Porsche's own making.

Not that long ago, most Mercedes cars were luxury cruisers, most Porsches were good sports all-rounders and if you wanted both you parked them next to each other and had two great cars. Fuel economy regulations and the like are now killing this distinction. I fear the eurocrat/CAFE crowd won't be happy until we can only buy one model of car, with just our choice of body panels and badge.

Even in my 7 series BMW, I hate that it is missing a proper handbrake but deleting it from a Porsche makes it less of a Porsche. Maybe they plan on bringing it back as a $$$ option for 'enthusiast drivers' but to my mind every Porsche should be enthusiast friendly. Those who know how to use it on the move would likely feel the same.

Quick Reply: Electric parking brake