Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric parking brake

Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Electric parking brake

I'm wondering about the wisdom of Porsche fitting the 991 (and new Boxster) with the electric parking brake button instead of a conventional cable-activated brake. My concern is that the parking brake has historically also been used as an emergency brake in the event of a total hydraulic pressure loss in the braking system... how does the new electric button-activated one work in this situation? I'm guessing that it doesn't.

Anyone know for sure?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The following is from my Cayenne Manual. It's reasonable to assume the operation of the electric E-brake on the 991 is the same.

Emergency braking function
If the conventional brake system has failed, the vehicle can be decelerated quickly and braked to a stop using the electric parking brake. Press switch and keep it pressed. The brake warning light on the instrument panel and the indicator light on the switch start to flash. A warning signal also sounds and appears on the multi-purpose display. The emergency braking function is deactivated when you release the switch.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The following is from my Cayenne Manual. It's reasonable to assume the operation of the electric E-brake on the 991 is the same.

If the conventional brake system has failed, the vehicle can be decelerated quickly and braked to a stop using the electric parking brake. Press switch and keep it pressed. The brake warning light on the instrument panel and the indicator light on the switch start to flash. A warning signal also sounds and appears on the multi-purpose display. The emergency braking function is deactivated when you release the switch.
Thank you for that!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:06 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it's the same basic system VW and Audi have used for several years. My company cars are VWs. A Passat and now a CC. As a parking brake it works well. The hill assist feature is more of a pain than a help so I keep it off. You don't really need it in a auto-manual.

I did test to see if it would stop the car, and it will.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 AM
19_hole
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 911 has had "hill assist" as a standard since the 997.2, there is no need to use the habd brake for hill starts. That is if you ever really needed it for that anyway!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

My Audi Q5 has a electronic E Brake. I don't know what the big fuss about not liking this is all about. I hardly ever use it but it's simple to use if parking on a hill and for a emergency stop if your brakes fail it works well that way too.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM
jmm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though they won't admit it, the ones crying over the loss of a handbrake to the far superior electric brake, are missing the ability to jerk up the hand brake and spin the car around in a "playful" maneuver, I'm afraid. Anything else is not applicable.

If the electric parking brake is applied after the car has been turned off, it will automatically disengage when you drive off. If you apply it before you turn the key off, you will have to release it to drive off. Pretty smart, huh?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by jmm
Even though they won't admit it, the ones crying over the loss of a handbrake to the far superior electric brake, are missing the ability to jerk up the hand brake and spin the car around in a "playful" maneuver, I'm afraid. Anything else is not applicable.

If the electric parking brake is applied after the car has been turned off, it will automatically disengage when you drive off. If you apply it before you turn the key off, you will have to release it to drive off. Pretty smart, huh?
Can you spin the car using this electric parking brake while driving by pushing the button,just as you would do it if you experience brake failure? Just curious...
Old 04-06-2012, 11:25 AM
97c2s993
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Can you spin the car using this electric parking brake while driving by pushing the button,just as you would do it if you experience brake failure? Just curious...
Saw this coming!!

P.S. don't know the answer but just might try to find out...
Old 04-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by jmm
I think it's admirable and uplifting that Porsche is striving to make their cars so Stephen Hawking can drive one, but most of us aren't crying over the loss of a handbrake as much as the loss of what was once a car that took some measure of skill to drive. I really wish Porsche would just stop trying to bs that they're interested in making these cars better, and admit that what they're really trying to do is make their cars idiot-proof in order to tap the vastly under-served market of idiots.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:03 PM
jmm
Advanced

One man's idiot-proof is another man's litigation-proof.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
You probably can. It does take quite a few seconds (three, five?) to fully engage and tends to just sort of drag the car down to a halt, not the abrupt wrenching of the conventional lever like a rally driver.)
Old 04-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by jmm
One man's idiot-proof is another man's litigation-proof.
Anyone who believes something can be made litigation-proof is an idiot. Just ask any lawyer.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I cannot stand electronic parking brakes. With properly adjusted mechanical parking brakes, you pull the lever or push the pedal, and it's set. Period. You disengage and it is off. Period.

With electronic parking brakes, procedures differ. In some cars you have to hold the button longer than others. So you wait until the light is lit. In my X5 the light is obscured by the steering wheel, so I have to deliberately look to see it is set. A quick pull of the button will not always do it. And then you have to have the right amount of brake pressure before it will release, or all of the visual and audible warnings go off. Annoying every time I get in and out of the car, as well as in rental cars I've had with electronic parking brakes.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:14 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

how were we supposed to know that in an emergency situation? LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric parking brake