Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three seconds slower, I think the 991 wins against the GTR ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:31 AM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOT ONE of my posts about the GTR was me posting an original thread on the superiority of the GTR. ZERO. Please substantiate your claims-----but you don't have any. EVERY single response was to a thread STARTED by the Renn members comparing it to the GTR. Don't post comparisons to the GTR, or the Corvette, or BMW, or whatever if you don't want countertalk. Just don't do it.

What is astonishing is that members here keep beating on the GTR when the price point for the car relative to a comparable Porsche is staggering. Members keep saying how their Porsche is better. Why do misinformed members keep doing that multiple times over several days, when there was absolutely no reason to do it. Why even mention the other car if all you want is to talk about the 911?

I didn't pick ANY fight, just responded to misinformation. You obviously just don't like people disagreeing with members false statements. If you want your buddies to stroke each other, and you want the forum to be FULL of misinformation, simply make a rule where no other car brand can be discussed? Don't think anyone wants that, not even you.

Sorry you cant read also. I already told you why I want the car. Start off by reading most or all of the thread next time before you blindly post.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:37 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Since it was brought up. A tuned Porsche was doing 211mph in 1987... I am sure if anyone bothered to make a tuned Porsche today, it would be faster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruf_CTR

But anyone can tune anything to go fast, that is really no feat.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Gleek48
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 991 3Turbo
NOT ONE of my posts about the GTR was me posting an original thread on the superiority of the GTR. ZERO. Please substantiate your claims-----but you don't have any. EVERY single response was to a thread STARTED by the Renn members comparing it to the GTR. Don't post comparisons to the GTR, or the Corvette, or BMW, or whatever if you don't want countertalk. Just don't do it.

What is astonishing is that members here keep beating on the GTR when the price point for the car relative to a comparable Porsche is staggering. Members keep saying how their Porsche is better. Why do misinformed members keep doing that multiple times over several days, when there was absolutely no reason to do it. Why even mention the other car if all you want is to talk about the 911?

I didn't pick ANY fight, just responded to misinformation. You obviously just don't like people disagreeing with members false statements. If you want your buddies to stroke each other, and you want the forum to be FULL of misinformation, simply make a rule where no other car brand can be discussed? Don't think anyone wants that, not even you.

Sorry you cant read also. I already told you why I want the car. Start off by reading most or all of the thread next time before you blindly post.
Since you keep throwing out the remedial reading phrase, you might want to read my post again. I never stated that you started any threads. Also, I am totally fine with you loving the GT-R (as I stated previously). I believe it is a great car, especially for the money. It's just not my cup of tea.

Your disagreements with others is fine in principle, but you have to admit that the way your responses are worded causes an adversarial tone.

BTW - I cannot find why you want the 991 besides that you "LOVE" it. If you love the 991, I'd hate to say what you think about cars you hate.

So, since I cannot comprehend your 14 posts to date, why do you love the 991?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:54 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

...Would you like to inform us all here how EASY the 991 oil and filter is to change, and how cheap it is to do at home?...
Originally Posted by DrJay
Dunno how easy it is to do at home. Depends on how hard it is to remove that cover hiding the engine below which has the oil filter easily accessible on top. However, the service writer stated that it was about $350 for a 991 oil/filter change as opposed to $300 on the 997. BTW, how do those prices sound?

Anyway, after I install the flush mounted lift in my garage, I don't anticipate it'll be that big a deal.

Spyder
Old 03-31-2012, 02:39 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts

Dr. Jay----since you were postin------how much does the Porsche dealer charge you for the EASY oil change in which you "just take off the panel"? How much for an airfilter change"just behind the panel"? Be honest! Is Porsche oil better? Are they filling it with AMSOIL? Bet you believe that maybe. Are you gonna do it in your garage? I for sure would if it is that simple, which I hope it is. I will have them show me BEFORE i buy.
Touche! And I am a Porsche guy
J
Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Originally Posted by Gleek48
How about some facts then:

Since you joined this month, about half of your current 13 posts include references to your prior GTR and/or either explicitly state or imply that it is better than the 911 and/or bash the 991.

Here are my observations:
1) if you like the GTR so much (which is fine by me), why do you want the 991?
2) I have different tastes in cars and have owned and own different ones too. What I usually do not waste my time on is picking fights with others who prefer one over another.
3) Finally, IMHO your limited actions on RL are basically the definition of being troll like in nature by continuing to pick fights and look for conflict.

Also, this post is just my opinion.
Originally Posted by Gleek48
Since you keep throwing out the remedial reading phrase, you might want to read my post again. I never stated that you started any threads. Also, I am totally fine with you loving the GT-R (as I stated previously). I believe it is a great car, especially for the money. It's just not my cup of tea.

Your disagreements with others is fine in principle, but you have to admit that the way your responses are worded causes an adversarial tone.

BTW - I cannot find why you want the 991 besides that you "LOVE" it. If you love the 991, I'd hate to say what you think about cars you hate.

So, since I cannot comprehend your 14 posts to date, why do you love the 991?
Nothing difficult at all to "comprehend". After sitting in the 991S at the Chicago Auto Show many things stood out. The look has become greatly modernized. For example the top is lower, the car is wider, the rear end is very very modern and clean, and the rear lights and active spoiler very very nice. The interior with the center stack really improves the interior, and the cockpit much nicer and richer, and most of all for tall guys the leg room greatly improved.

As far as performance the PDK just simply rocks, the fact that Porsche really put time and development into the sound of the car, especially with the sport exhaust, and the launch control as well as the vastly improved stability of the car with the engine continuing to be moved forward all just make it impressive compared to the 997. Also great is the suspension management modes which truly make the car ride great and a true dual purpose car for the garage.

For Gods sake make the paddles a no cost option or standard, include a service agreement sans BMW, and get rid of the totally dorky Chrono clock. I am just waiting to see how much the price increase on the Turbo will be, and what they will do to make it sound sporty also--that will take some doing.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:56 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
No PDK, not a valid comparison...
Still fun to watch
It is a valid comparison to compare somewhat divergent models. Enthusiasts want to know!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:26 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

I'm seeing a lot of knotted up panties in this thread. Please keep it civil.....

Originally Posted by DrJay
Tell me, how many laps can the GTR do before Nissan voids the warranty?
A friend of mine took delivery of one of the first GTR's in the US, has dozens of track days under his belt and his warranty is still being honored.

The dealership didn't even care about the dyno tuning he did to it.

Originally Posted by carcommander
Troll.
If you feel someone is breaking forum rules, report the post.
Comments like this are not helping.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:30 AM
AMGfan
Rennlist Member

I am not an esteemed Rennlist member (yet)...but I am a member of several car forums. Fanboyism on any forum can be funny at the very least and annoying at the extreme. It happens on each of the forums I participate in and cooler heads on each of the forums try to dissuade off the cuff remarks that are misinformed.

Listen...I understand the passion we have for our vehicles...I love all types...Porsche in particular. But there is mis-information on here about the GTR. Before I make a comment on a car, I'd like to drive it and do my research...if you take reviews and comments off the internet as your proof on any car then you might have to do a lot of editing in your threads.

I get that you don't like a particular car...cool by me. But don't feel taken aback if someone tries to rebut your comment. It's a discussion forum isn't it? I'm not asking for holding hands and singing Cumbaya...just discourse that doesn't sound like we are all 12yrs old. Agreeing to disagree isn't a bad thing...

PS I could be writing this on NAGTROC, MBWORLD, or any other forum.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 372 Likes on 224 Posts

I never said the bumper! How much is the oil change on the 991 and how much labor? My 2011 GTR was 86 bucks at the dealer. Again, I love both cars. I am waiting for the 991 Turbo, so flame as you may but what I said is 100% correct. Both are great cars, but stop bringing up the Nissan if you don't want to hear about or be compared to it. I have several friends that could easily afford any Porsche made and they choose the GTR and are happy with their choice. I just like a change, and am looking for something more refined(and obviously more expensive). Cheers
According to this guy Ferrari,Lamborghini,Porsche and all the high end dealers should start charging less for oil changes and labor,because Nissan charges cheap. They should also be bankrupt because there is such an ' amazing ' car out there that costs half.
Has it ever occurred to you that Porsche wouldn't be in business if there wasn't a market for their cars?
Nobody here cares that Nissan costs half and that their dealers charge 86$ for an oil change. Nobody cares!!!
Have your GTR and enjoy it! Enjoy that it is faster,better performing etc.
This review was posted for fun. It wasn't intended to bash on the GTR,the GTR actually won,the OP simply stated that the 991 should be getting the crown because it's pretty much a base model. If you think that this is a fair comparison then you're the subjective one,considering that this GTR is packing a 3.8 V6,Twin Turbo,developing almost 550 HP and the naturally aspirated 991 is developing 400 HP.
Again,I can modify a car out there,and for around 50 K I can smoke any Porsche or GTR,but this is not the point. If you're a ' ricer ' fan,we totally understand,because to me and I believe to many others,the GTR is just a ' ricer '. Now go cool off for a while,release some of that steam you have and try this with a different approach.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice video thanks for posting.

The GTR is a beast but Nissan sure hit it with the ugly stick. I'd take the 991 and never look back.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Nobody here cares that Nissan costs half and that their dealers charge 86$ for an oil change. Nobody cares!!!
Actually yes, people do care, otherwise this thread would be on page 3 by now.

On that note, I paid $100 to have the oil changed in my 944S back in 1998 at Zimbrick Porsche
Old 04-03-2012, 10:20 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 372 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Actually yes, people do care, otherwise this thread would be on page 3 by now.

On that note, I paid $100 to have the oil changed in my 944S back in 1998 at Zimbrick Porsche
Haha...but that's a 4 cylinders,plus I'm wondering what kind of oil they've used to charge 100$...
Just like this guy...he's stating that Nissan charged him 86$ for an oil change!!! Really???!!! I mean,what kind of oil they've used??? Synthetic??? Mmmmm...a good synthetic oil is at least 6-7$ per quart and that car probably takes a good 8 quarts,plus filter and labor=86$???!!! Give me a break...!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

I hardly consider the 911S a base model.

GTR is no more "ricer" than the NSX was and will be.

Porsche has had its share of financial woes despite their golden price service. Maybe someone could refresh us on who some of the car companies were that did consultations for Porsche on how to more efficiently run their assemblies.

A lot of people love to exaggerate here because they easily get their feelings hurt due to pride.

Again---it has been several Porsche members here bringing up comparisons to the GTR, so discussions are fair game in my book.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

GTR is no more "ricer" than the NSX was and will be.
I disagree

Exhibit A

The GM school of cheesy interior design. ^ ^

Edit: and that's just the inside. The exterior???? It doesn't look good today. How's it going to look after 40 years (like the 911 style has endured)?

Quick Reply: Three seconds slower, I think the 991 wins against the GTR ...