Sponsored by:

In line for a 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:09 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by limey940
If you had the option of PDk v manual in a GT3 which would you chose?
If the car was going to be for competition/racing then PDK but if it's just an occasional track DE car and Sunny day drives I would go with a manual.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 143 Likes on 76 Posts

If you had the option of PDk v manual in a GT3 which would you chose?
Great question. Every sportscar I've ever owned had a manual until the PDK in my 997.2 S. I really like PDK, it's great for autocross and DE's, and the latest version is supposed to be greatly improved over mine. But a manual GT3 would be very sweet. I honestly don't know which I'd choose. I'm almost hoping Porsche makes the decision so I don't have to.....

Edit: This from Inside Line 2/14/2012 FWIW

STUTTGART, Germany — Porsche is evaluating a PDK gearbox for the next-generation GT3, due next year. August Achleitner, the 911 project chief, confirmed that Porsche's motorsport division is currently testing both manual and PDK versions of the new GT3. Only one transmission will ultimately be offered for sale, and Achleitner reckons the PDK is the favorite to get the nod.

Stick-shift 911s currently account for just 30 percent of sales. "When we launched the 911 Turbo S, we did not offer a manual, but we have not had a single complaint," Achleitner told Inside Line. A PDK-equipped GT3 would be the next logical step.

Achleitner also confirmed that the next-generation GT3 and GT2 will definitely feature a variant of the electromechanical steering system introduced on the new Carrera. He defended the system, which has been criticized for offering less driver feedback than a traditional hydraulic setup. "The new system only removes the feedback you don't need," he said. "All our race drivers prefer it."

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-27-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Will the 991 GT3 perform better (especially on track) than the current 997.2 GT3? No doubt it will. If all-out performance is the goal, that is the direction to go.

But, as in the Carrera case, some of us are not fans of the 911 for strict 'on-rails' performance. Many other cars perform (measure) better than a 911... For some of us the soul of a 911 and its personality is more important than all-out performance. YMMV.

Now... if that's what Mike wants and is happy with... more power to him. Knowing Mike, I know he will want to test the car before he buys it. He will appreciate the differences, and perhaps embrace the changes, or not.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:29 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thank you, Debbie Downer, for that presumptuous insight.
Yeah that was a bit of a downer post - but really, were any of my presumptions off base?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ADias
Will the 991 GT3 perform better (especially on track) than the current 997.2 GT3? No doubt it will. If all-out performance is the goal, that is the direction to go.

But, as in the Carrera case, some of us are not fans of the 911 for strict 'on-rails' performance. Many other cars perform (measure) better than a 911... For some of us the soul of a 911 and its personality is more important than all-out performance. YMMV.

Now... if that's what Mike wants and is happy with... more power to him. Knowing Mike, I know he will want to test the car before he buys it. He will appreciate the differences, and perhaps embrace the changes, or not.
Thanks for your comments, Tony. I've been wanting a 911 that's more track oriented for a while. I'm simply not interested in a used car (a personal idiosynchrasy) so that leaves me with the 991 GT3. It's just my opinion, but I think the loss of soul in the 991 has been overplayed, and in any event I expect the 991 GT3 will be a more visceral car than my 997.2 S.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by pcar964
Yeah that was a bit of a downer post - but really, were any of my presumptions off base?
Your presumptions are way off base. I'm not obsessed with lap times: I mentioned the Nurburgring only as one measuring stick and a reference for comparision. You know nothing of my driving skills, experience, the cars I've owned, or anything about me. I owned an '84 3.2 Carrera for 13 years, for example, so I've done that, and I've been driving competitively for over 40 years. I don't have room in my garage for a pleasure Porsche, a race car, and a trailer; I want one 911 that I can drive for pleasure, take on a trip, or take to the track. Maybe it will cost me a little more, but I can afford it; I see no point in leaving all my hard earned money to my kids and grandkids. And at 61, I spend very little time hanging out with the guys arguing about how my car is a tenth faster than someone elses.

Your opinions on the 991 GT3 (or any car) are your own and you are entitled to them, but when you make unsubstantiated pronouncements on a complete stanger's motivation for buying one you're more than likely, as in this case, to be wrong.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-27-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:28 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

... I think the loss of soul in the 991 has been overplayed, and in any event I expect the 991 GT3 will be a more visceral car than my 997.2 S.
The 911 soul changed, no doubt, but you may like the new soul.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great question. Every sportscar I've ever owned had a manual until the PDK in my 997.2 S. I really like PDK, it's great for autocross and DE's, and the latest version is supposed to be greatly improved over mine. But a manual GT3 would be very sweet. I honestly don't know which I'd choose. I'm almost hoping Porsche makes the decision so I don't have to.....

Edit: This from Inside Line 2/14/2012 FWIW

STUTTGART, Germany — Porsche is evaluating a PDK gearbox for the next-generation GT3, due next year. August Achleitner, the 911 project chief, confirmed that Porsche's motorsport division is currently testing both manual and PDK versions of the new GT3. Only one transmission will ultimately be offered for sale, and Achleitner reckons the PDK is the favorite to get the nod.

Stick-shift 911s currently account for just 30 percent of sales. "When we launched the 911 Turbo S, we did not offer a manual, but we have not had a single complaint," Achleitner told Inside Line. A PDK-equipped GT3 would be the next logical step.

Achleitner also confirmed that the next-generation GT3 and GT2 will definitely feature a variant of the electromechanical steering system introduced on the new Carrera. He defended the system, which has been criticized for offering less driver feedback than a traditional hydraulic setup. "The new system only removes the feedback you don't need," he said. "All our race drivers prefer it."
I know what you mean about sometimes wanting the decision to be made for you, and i like your other post about it potentially being 3 cars in 1...i may delay my decision on a new car and see what the GT3 looks like. i fear that the pricing will be around 150k though....given a nicely optioned S is about 130k ish...
Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I know what you mean about sometimes wanting the decision to be made for you, and i like your other post about it potentially being 3 cars in 1...i may delay my decision on a new car and see what the GT3 looks like. i fear that the pricing will be around 150k though....given a nicely optioned S is about 130k ish...
I'm pinning my hopes for a $125K base price on the difference between a base 997.2 S and 997 GT3 of about $30K. Add almost $30K to the $96K base of a 991 S and you're at around $125K for the GT3. (If PDK is standard, maybe closer to $130K) The current base of a 997 TT is $137K or $22K more than the current GT3. If Porsche prices the new GT3 base at $150K, where can they go with the price of the Turbo?

Lots of numbers, lots of assumptions; maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I don't see Porsche changing their pricing structure that radically. No question you could option a 991 GT3 over $150K without any trouble. But I'm figuring on a a pretty basic car with maybe $10K of options that I could get out the door for under $150K. Anyway, that's my story, and for now I'm sticking to it.....

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-27-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

#6 in line at Sunset...

It will be a huge performance improvement- we will see about the rest!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Congrats Mike. I totally agree with your approach at age 61. Why not sample different flavors when you have the opportunity to do so. What happens if you don't like the car ? How much cash do you lose ?

As for me, every now and then I've been getting the itch to have a more performance oriented 911 myself. I am in Tony's camp when it comes to the Carrera line up on the 991 and am hoping for a different flavor in their GT line up of cars. 997 GT3RS might well be my next car. The problem is that the C4S is such a great all weather performer and is perfect for the PNW. One that is almost indispensable.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 03-28-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:03 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Congrats Mike. I totally agree with your approach at age 61. Why not sample different flavors when you have the opportunity to do so. What happens if you don't like the car ? How much cash do you lose ?

As for me, every now and then I've been getting the itch to have a more performance oriented 911 myself. I am in Tony's camp when it comes to the Carrera line up on the 991 and am hoping for a different flavor in their GT line up of cars. 997 GT3RS might well be my next car. The problem is that the C4S is such a great all weather performer and is perfect for the PNW. One that is almost indispensable.
A well kept 997.2 RS is a sweet car for a weekend car. I suspect that when the 991 GT3 comes out there will be plenty of 997.2 RS for sale at a reasonable price too.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:41 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE

Thanks Amar. If by how much cash do I lose you mean what happens if I don't want the car, the answer is zero, my modest deposit is refundable.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:42 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ADias
A well kept 997.2 RS is a sweet car for a weekend car. I suspect that when the 991 GT3 comes out there will be plenty of 997.2 RS for sale at a reasonable price too.
I'm just not a used car guy, Tony. I also think, for what I want, a regular GT3 will be a better choice.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

Very cool Mike! That sounds like a great plan.

Quick Reply: In line for a 991 GT3