Really?? PDK vs Manual??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I had the same feeling while driving PDK on the track as well. It just felt like I just shift up when the engine noise was getting to loud. On the street I would be too self aware and would think people think I am an idiot driving at higher rpm all the time when you don't need to be.
Also I don't like having to count down shifts going from 4 or 5th into a 2nd gear corner. Just doesn't seem right. I end up just letting the car do the shifting. PDK to me is more annoying then fun.
It will be interesting to see what the future used car values are on the PDK vs Manual. The auto trannies do cost more when new, but seem to go the opposite way when used. I wonder if the PDK trannies will follow the same pattern. (Not that it has anything to do with this discussion.)
Old 03-15-2012, 03:19 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie C
It will be interesting to see what the future used car values are on the PDK vs Manual. The auto trannies do cost more when new, but seem to go the opposite way when used. I wonder if the PDK trannies will follow the same pattern. (Not that it has anything to do with this discussion.)
Yes, It will be interesting. These cars are now bought by the rich and the real car enthusiast that wait for used prices drop in price to something they can afford will have less choices in the future. It may make finding a manual harder and rare. They could actually be worth more then automatic becuase of this.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:12 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Is it not you who was willing to bet an arm and a leg that Ferrari offers ' ZERO ' models with a manual transmission for the US?!
That says a lot about your credibility.
I rest my case...
Absolutely irrelevant to the points I just made.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:40 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Real sports cars have carburetors and no ABS.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texas911
Not a sensible comparison...
Old 03-15-2012, 07:24 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

or A/C, airbags, seatbelts, bumpers, etc.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 PM
lone wolf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

real cars have abs,ac,pasm,sc,tc,airbags,power windows, great radios and PDK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh yeah and comfy leather seats.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 PM
jrt600
Intermediate

Autocar's review of the 991S manual - http://bit.ly/zzrmnh
Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lone wolf
real cars have abs,ac,pasm,sc,tc,airbags,power windows, great radios and PDK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh yeah and comfy leather seats.

But real SPORTS cars have manuals. SORRY, couldn't resist, you left it wide open. (only kidding though - to each his/her own)
Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
First, unlike custom interiors and paint, manufacturers must certify engine/transmission combinations to meet applicable standards for sale in the U.S. market. The fact that a MT Ferrari or Mercedes might be available in other markets doesn't mean that you could buy one in this country through legitimate channels, no matter how much money you have.
This is factually correct and should put this part of the silly argument to bed.

As to the question of manual vs. PDK... I'll admit that I've not yet driven the newest PDK in the 991 but... while I recognize that the tech. in the PDK is better, it would make me faster around just about any road in the world, and it's more economical than the three pedal stick... I prefer the stick. Part of the fun of driving a sports car is executing a proper heel/toe downshift the PDK doesn't provide that. But I certainly won't ever question someone's decision to buy PDK like I used to question those that chose the tiptronic cars.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:21 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
This is factually correct and should put this part of the silly argument to bed.
Agreed, but be careful, someone might need you to prove this as it is 'just your opinion'
Old 03-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Storm Trooper
Intermediate

I find the review of the new Boxster S with 6 Speed manual by Chris Harris for EVO very informative. Here is a link to it:

http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/03/14/v...che-boxster-s/

He makes observations that explain what we on this thread have said about the differences, and joys, of driving manual vs. PDK. I'm not putting this out there as an absolute, we're right and your wrong, just showing a vid that explains what we are saying.

I also found something very interesting. Is it true when he says that the new 7 speed manual is a derivative of the PDK and feels different than the old 6 speed manual? Interesting.

And this video confirmed what my suspicions were about the new Boxster S. I will definitely add this to my stable to get me back up to a 3 car lineup. Boxster S, manual 6 speed, full leather, PSE. The only question is whether I go with "loud" or "flashy" exterior and interior colors, or do this one toned down and go "loud" or "flashy" with my next 991.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 PM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

MT is more fun.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Haha, this has been discussed a million times but I still find this type of threads interesting.
I would take a PDK equipped 991 only in the turbo version, these normally aspirated 3.4 and 3.8 engines have their max torque and peak power higher in the rev range than ever, with the manual I can take advantage of that huge power band at my own will. I don't see myself driving all day in sport+ mode,
I will enjoy my manual until the PDK turbo is out and I am ready to afford one.

Quick Reply: Really?? PDK vs Manual??