Sponsored by:

Got my new 991 this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Storm Trooper
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Beautiful. And the interior? Tell us about your purchasing experience, freebies, dealer swag etc.
It's black, but not full leather. Won't bore you with why I didn't stretch to get the full leather. Would I have preferred full leather? Yes. Will I get full leather on my next one? Yes. That said, I'm absolutely ecstatic with how they did the soft rubber dash. I sold an SL 55 AMG this weekend to get this car. My SL was full leather. Every part either real leather or alcantara, stitching everywhere. It was insance.

But . . . and I hate it when car companies do this . . . my reall leather in my SL had a texture stamped into it that matched the texture of the soft touch in the SL 550. That made no sense to me, and sure enough, on later SL 55s and the SL 63, they switched to smooth leather, like you see in a full leather Porsche. Here is the funny thing . . . the soft touch dash in my new 991 has the SAME EXACT texture imprint that was in the real leather in my SL 55. So if I look at it, it looks like real leather.

Also, back in 2007 the leather used in the SL 55 did not have a good smell, IMO. Nothinng like the smell of the leather used today in a lot of high end cars, like Porsche.

I like full leather interior because of the smell. My 2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage was slow as anything (0-60 in 5.0), but my god the smell of that car, coupled with the exhaust note and stereo, made for fantastic driving experiences.

So, here is what I like about the 991s I got this weekend. Even though there is not leather on the dash and doors, there is enough leather in it that I can smell it. As long as I can experience that smell, I'm happy . . . for now.

Now let's talk about stitching. To me, contrasting sticthign is "the bomb". My interior does not have it. I would have preferred white or grey stitching. Doesn't have it. I have a friend who has a black 997s with black full leather interior and red stitching all over. I love that - the smell, the looks - it makes you feel exotic.

Okay, enough rambling, here are some pix. BTW, apologies for the mess in the garagage. This is my "office house" - a house I use for my business and not the house that I use for my wife and kids, and my wife is great at keeping our house looking immaculate, and I'm not. I'll take some pix of that this weekend. We have red brick in my "house house" and I think this car against the red brick is going to "pop".

I previewed the post to look at the pix. You cannot see any of the details in the dash or back seats, to distinguish between what parts of the interior are (a) textured soft touch plastic/foam/rubber, (b) smooth leather, and (c) textured leather. Sorry.
Attached Images    
Old 02-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Storm Trooper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gota911
Are the lug bolts on your wheels black anodized? I ask because I saw a white 991 at the local dealer and I noticed that the lug bolts on that car were black anodized bolts.
They are black, but I don't know if they are anodized. And when I say black, they are so close in color to the grey part of the wheel, that I'm being generous by saying they are black. And they look like a matte black, not glossy black. Maybe that is what you mean. Anyway, if Porsche was going for a very visibly-contrasting black against the grey of the wheel, I'm not seeing it. I didn't even notice the contrast until you asked the question and I went in the garage and looked.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the white. So far the best color I have seen on the 991.

Congrats on the car and the financial recovery.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:31 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! That's also the color and wheel style I want.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Storm Trooper
Intermediate

Default Windows are now tinted

Here is a shot of the car after the windows were tinted. I went driving this Sunday with some friends who have 997s. You can see the comparison of windows. My tinting was not as dark as I thought it was going to be Oh well, that won't be my first mistake with this car.

Thinking of changing the steering wheel to the sport with flappy paddles. I have the push buttons and they are fine for freeway but problematic, in my view, for canyon carving and/or track. I will start another thread on that so we can discuss. I understand that whether you can switch steering wheels depends on whether you have the one with buttons on it (for phone, stereo, etc.) or not.

BTW, how do I delete the photos I first uploaded before re-sizing them. Can't figure it out.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Congrats on the car and your heart warming story! Very happy for you mate.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

White, YES YES YES! Mine should be here right around tax day, a good way to offset the pain of the Washington looters robbing me.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:46 AM
bosstucker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Storm Trooper
I got white with black interior, and am going to tint the windows as much as legally permiited in SoCal. I will post pix when done.

Beautiful car. Slightly OT, what's legal tint wise in California? I'm moving to Pleasanton in a few weeks from Seattle and a friend mentioned I'd have to get the tint removed from my 4S. It's currently 20% on sides and back. Yours looks like maybe 25% on the back?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:18 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I went for a ride in a 991 today &......you've made a great decision!
Looks amazing & I know how good it feels inside.
Enjoy in good health!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Storm Trooper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bosstucker
Beautiful car. Slightly OT, what's legal tint wise in California? I'm moving to Pleasanton in a few weeks from Seattle and a friend mentioned I'd have to get the tint removed from my 4S. It's currently 20% on sides and back. Yours looks like maybe 25% on the back?
It is my understanding that in California, you cannot have ANY tinting of ANY shade on the driver or passenger window. That is where people get "fix it" tickets in my area. As I understand it, there are no restrictions for the rear windows.

In my area, you see a lot of cars with very dark tinting on the rear and rear passenger windows (for 4 door cars), and no tinting on the driver and passenger windows.

A lot also depends, I think, on how crazy you drive your car around town and how stringent the police are in your town. Where I live, the police don't seem to bother you if you drive normal. If, however, you drive loud or fast (even if you are within the speed limits), that's when you get pulled over. And if you were not going above the speed limit, they will look for "fix it" tickets to give you (e.g., front license plate, or window tinting).

You could always leave the tint on and wait to get a "fix it" ticket. I would not take it off just in anticipation. Who knows, you might be able to get away with it for a couple of years before getting a ticket. I had my 350Z Nismo for 4 years before getting a "fix it" ticket to put the front license plate on (along with a "warning" for exhibition of speed).
Old 03-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Storm Trooper
Intermediate

Default Wife and Kids Loved the Car

Had to pick my daugther up from a Girl Scout event and was driving around town in the 911 so went to get her. She loved the car, and raved about it when we got home, so my wife asked me to take her for a spin. I put it in Sport Plus, told her to hold on, and let 'er rip. She screamed and squealed like one of the videos of the guys who take hot young girls in twin-turboed Gallardos. Then I turned off all Sport buttons to show her how relaxed the car could drive, so she could get a sense of the dual nature of the car.

She loved it.

I think I also got the "green light" to add the PSE.

Quick Reply: Got my new 991 this weekend!