Disappointed - No Emotion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I'm even considering a 993 since I never owned one and like everyone love the look but my Porsche mechanic warned me not to since I drive 12K to 15K a year. He said it's old and things will go.......like me!

I'm old enough to know when I want something and when I don't!
From the back-and-forth vacillation in what you've posted here, I'd say you've got to compare the cost of a 993 versus an equivalent 997 (ten years younger, higher on its depreciation curve) for about the same dollars net initial outlay.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Correct - the 991 painted consol is two dimensional and pathetic, like that plastic wood in Toyota's.
We're working on that.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-29-2012, 02:10 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Oh dear. It really sucks when someone posts something embarrassing and then someone else quotes it in a reply post so there's no way for the first person to go back and delete it ... : ) ... the next time someone laughs in your face, you'll know "oh yeah, that damn post about the 993 looking dating ... "

The response you're eliciting is "Bwa ha ha haaa" ...

To paraphrase Loudon Wainwright ...

"masterstroke" ... guffaw, guffaw, guffaw ...
"bridge old and new" ... yuck, yuck, yuck ...
"never look dated" ... chortle, chortle, chortle ...

The 964 bumpers are about as "timeless" as a Swatch watch. I miss my '94 RS America and rue the day I sold it to make way for a 993 Turbo, but I never lost sight of the fact those bumpers were not its finest feature.

I read the thread description about "no emotion" and I thought "this guy's off his rocker..." but you're quite right in terms of the visual-emotional aspect. I still find my 993 (wide body, polar silver metallic) to offer a more visual car and driving it more physical than any of the 996 or 997 GT3 and RS (and I've prepared and tracked 'em all for years, each.)

The 997 is "okay" in appearance, inside and out. But in the driving of it, I think it's too early to say. Until drivers get months of road driving and days of track driving, it's too early to say. If anything, my first impression, after just half a day with a 991 S, was encouraging.
ha....great post, but I stand by my comment I am not dissing the 993...was a great car back in the day. Just not something that I would personally want/desire given the options available in 2013. Quote this quote in cement.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think its all a matter of taste and I believe this Carrera really dates the 997. I can't even comment on what it did to the 996!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kind of have to agree with the OP. I was looking forward to the 991, but after seeing a couple, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.

It's a good looking car to be sure, but there is nothing distinctive about it. It is recognizable as a 911, but has somehow lost some of the 911 character. In thinking about it, I think it's the longer wheelbase. I know that has some driving dynamics advantages, but it causes it to lose something aesthetically.

Also, the switch gear on the console is straight from my VW CC company car. For $100K+? Come on man!

Maybe the Turbo and GT models will be more inspired. .

It's still a great car. It just hasn't grown on me yet.

BTW. The 964 Turbo is one of the best looking cars ever. IMO.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:51 AM
PSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my 991S for a day now.

The more I drive it the more I love it. First 30 mins I was a bit underwhelmed but this car, with its multiple personality, is a car you need to take time to get to know. Makes car more satisfying - everytime I drive it I learn something new.

Don't agree with SSST re the internals. Quality significantly better and the electronics make a 997 look like an antique!

As an all in one car it is absolutely sensational. There is nothing comparable?

I had 2011 GTR before but so one dimensional. Lousy ride, noisy tyres - a big heavy brute of a car albeit fantastically fast.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
I kind of have to agree with the OP. I was looking forward to the 991, but after seeing a couple, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.

It's a good looking car to be sure, but there is nothing distinctive about it. It is recognizable as a 911, but has somehow lost some of the 911 character. In thinking about it, I think it's the longer wheelbase. I know that has some driving dynamics advantages, but it causes it to lose something aesthetically.

Also, the switch gear on the console is straight from my VW CC company car. For $100K+? Come on man!

Maybe the Turbo and GT models will be more inspired. .

It's still a great car. It just hasn't grown on me yet.

BTW. The 964 Turbo is one of the best looking cars ever. IMO.
I agree-the 991 is a very conservative looking car-I was underwhelmed when I checked a few out at the dealer. The interior seemed to be pretty well put together but again, I could have been sitting in a Cayenne or Panamera and not be able to tell the difference.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't mind me. I'm becoming an antique myself. We antiques have to stick together.

BTW. I didn't say the switch gear was ugly. It's not. I said it was the same switch gear you find in a VW. Which is true. The switch gear in my 996 is ugly, but at least it's unique to the car.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:02 PM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by PSC
Had my 991S for a day now.

The more I drive it the more I love it. First 30 mins I was a bit underwhelmed but this car, with its multiple personality, is a car you need to take time to get to know. Makes car more satisfying - everytime I drive it I learn something new.

Don't agree with SSST re the internals. Quality significantly better and the electronics make a 997 look like an antique!

As an all in one car it is absolutely sensational. There is nothing comparable?

I had 2011 GTR before but so one dimensional. Lousy ride, noisy tyres - a big heavy brute of a car albeit fantastically fast.

Congrats on your purchase.

Very interested in your feelings from the Gtr to the 991S if it's not too off topic.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 12:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

The 991 looks great.

To the general public it looks the same as the 997.

Im most likely going to have one in some sort of trim.

We wont know how better or worse they are compared to the 997 until the 991 get close to the end of their warranty period.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:14 PM
PSC
Instructor

Originally Posted by PoloTurbo
Congrats on your purchase.

Very interested in your feelings from the Gtr to the 991S if it's not too off topic.

Thanks
The GTR has amazing mid range torque which, combined with the traction of four wheel drive, make it sensationally fast.

The 991 only starts shifting at around 7K rpm and then not as fast as GTR.

So performance wise no contest.

Slightly more rear seat space and much bigger boot.

Also the GTR attracts more attention is you want that. The 991 is just yet another 911.

In every other respect the 991 better. Better ride, less tyre roar, more nimble, more adjustable, more interesting engine, better steering (the GTR tramelines a lot)

But above all, somehow the GTR lacks character. I had my GTR (the 530 bhp version) a year and never once felt any real emotion other that **** me, that was fast!!

I loved my 991 after one day! With sports plus (you need sport chrono option) and sports exhaust switched on it's sensational.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:24 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by exc911ence
After decades of silver and grey cars, brown actually looks pretty good!

I'm with you. The white car looks like something heavy was dropped on its roof. Flattened and lengthened in one move. Saw one at the dealership and felt the same way. Disappointing. My warranty runs out in December and I wanted to like this but I don't.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 475 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I'm with you. The white car looks like something heavy was dropped on its roof. Flattened and lengthened in one move. Saw one at the dealership and felt the same way. Disappointing. My warranty runs out in December and I wanted to like this but I don't.
Exactly!

Quick Reply: Disappointed - No Emotion