Sponsored by:

all I can Say

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:01 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all I can Say

i came to VIR this weekend to drive the E46/ or the E 36... both didnt happen... well I can say with out issue the 991 is still a blast on the track!!!!!!!! second time in two weeks it is an amazing car... if you are on the fence ... JUMP over! whats a great weekend toy out of the box!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:29 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree!!
In my 20min passenger ride today I was blown away! Yes I wasn't driving, but what really impressed was the dual nature of the car; cruizer one minute, sports car the next! Pressing the sport buttons really brought some great induction/engine noise into the cabin & the PDK...wow! I never thought I'd be so impressed by a paddle shift.
& this is just a Carrera S, not a GT3/RS; the target market is very broad.

Great job Porsche, you've got a winner!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Storm Trooper
Intermediate

Default PASM On or Off?

When you were driving the cars around the track, did you have PASM on or off. I went driving through some canyons yesterday and was going very fast, but could tell that a couple of times PASM was catching me.

I drive my 350Z Nismo with traction control off, and it is very easy to catch when the rear comes out.

I am hesitant to try that with the 991 because the engine is in the back, and I'm assuming it will be harder to catch when the rear breaks loose.

It feels planted as hell, but I can't help but feel the PASM was slowing me down rather than let wheel spin or sliding occur.

Any thoughts? I guess I could go find a place to practice driving it with PASM off and see how it feels. In the review videos you see guys "drifting" the car all over the place. I can't tell, though, if they are driving it with PASM on or off.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Seranad
Instructor

you mean psm ... pasm is the active suspension.
yes in the videos when sliding they usually turn psm off. psm lets you lide much more in sport+ mode though ... for a start you could try that, safer than turning it off ompletely
Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Psm.. I turn mine off on the track.. On when on the street
Old 04-15-2012, 11:28 AM
frayed
Race Car

Hey Matt, if you were to pick up a 991 would you opt for the PDK? I know you are a manual guy but you posted before that you were pretty jacked up about the PDK in the 991.

Only occasional track days for me now. Gonna sell the E36 LTW and use the 991 for the occasional track day.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Yes! It's fun but easy to drink coffee with also and talk on phone.. It will run with GT3's.. Out of the box..but truthfully it's not a stick.. But I have no issue with the new PDK the software has been upgraded it is fast as hell .. No manual guy will out shift it. In sport plus it's fantastic I always drive it in manual mode using the stick to shift.
I am willing to bet you 100.00 the new GT3 will only be PDK..

I know everyone will be like manual only for me.. The only thing different is there is no 3rd pedal
Send me message on your lwt
Old 04-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
Psm.. I turn mine off on the track.. On when on the street
In the 991 Carrera, PSM is never completely off. In the tech manual there's some reference to how PTV is always active and will begin to actively apply the inside rear brake with any turn in the steering wheel. I didn't get a clear picture on when and how PSM intervenes when the switch is "off" so I won't conjecture on how brakes or ABS or slip angles might simply have higher thresholds, suffice to say it's on even when it's off. Here's hoping the GT3 arrives with separate SC and TC switches that fully deactivate PSM.

Last edited by Carrera GT; 04-15-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:58 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Agreed! But you can tell how much it intervines by the amount of rear pad wear!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
Agreed! But you can tell how much it intervines by the amount of rear pad wear!
It looks like the rear brakes are beefier ... larger, thicker rotor, bigger caliper and pad, even the Carrera has some ducting. I imagine with the transaxle and engine further inside the wheelbase there's even a little more rear bias. I haven't had it on the track yet (rained out last week) but just on specs, the fronts should work pretty well out of the box.

Quick Reply: all I can Say