Pics and opinions, launch party last night

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 02:16 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I dont know where you live but getting one without a sunroof is probably a mistake. It will make it hard to sell. If you don't like it just don't open it.

I'd love a 993 with out a sunroof....

Any out there?
Old 02-11-2012, 04:43 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Last thing I double checked on my 991 order was that it indeed said "no sunroof ". So yes, folks are out here that prefer w/o this or any other kind of sunroof. Sorry, this of course doesn't answer your 993 question -- i was referencing the hard to sell comment.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the beauty of these cars-you can customize it to the extent your pallet and wallet will stand. I'm fine with being stuck with a car without a sunroof, if that's the price I have to pay.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
The new Porsche Entry and Go (keyless) feature does require a key in the ignition but they give you a "dummy" key" to leave in there all the time. With the key in your pocket, you simply turn the dummy key to start.

Not sure the reasoning there. My concern would be- having the key in the ignition, some bad guy walking by might think all they had to do was break in and go since the key was already in the ignition... I goes having a button start is too far a departure for a real sports car.
So it is the same as the system in the 958. Not to hijack this thread, and this is only my personal opinion, I don't like this system.

There's simply nothing wrong with a tried and true key. If Porsche wants to offer a keyless system then make it a true keyless system like parent Audi offers which doesn't require you to insert anything into the dash.

There are a lot of great automotive technologies (airbags, ABS, etc.) that are wonderful and add to the daily safety, etc. of driving and then there are silly foibles like faux keyless entry and automatic windshield wipers which just add cost and complexity with little to no perceived benefit.

At least Porsche gives you the option to not order this.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:22 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Can you paint the center console? That is a TOTAL miss on 991!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

You can...but we are beginning production soon on the painted trim for the interior, including the silver banding around the console - that's all that is paintable on the console section for now.

Contact me anytime for details.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 737 Likes on 538 Posts

Wow....911 prices are getting relatively high now due to exchange rate, overcharging for options, new model price increase opportunity, etc......

Porsche made 20% pre-tax profit last year versus typical targeted 5-7% for most automakers........

Easy to see why...........whew..........

I for one will have to go with pre-owned low mileage cars if I am going to stay with Porsches in the future as a retired person with no corporate car allowance available to me anymore..........the car shown did not even have all the options available that would have been desirable for $ 122K.......

$ 130K with taxes for a S is a bit much........will wait a few years for a pre-owned creme puff.......

Quick Reply: Pics and opinions, launch party last night