Edgy01: Some thoughts on the 991 after drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Edgy01: Some thoughts on the 991 after drive

After about 65,000 miles in my 997S cab I got to spend some time with the 991S coupe. While I've been hearing a lot of comments about the "vastly improved interior materials" on the 991 I think that's been an observation from those 997 owners who didn't opt for a very loaded 997. I didn't notice an appreciably higher level of quality on the inside from the 997. My 997 is pretty much loaded up with leather and so when you compare a stripped 997 to a 991 perhaps it seems nicer. The 991 sunroof remains an enigma. It simply looks terrible, deployed along the top of the roof. It definitely spoils the coupe looks when it's open--and affords a just slightly larger opening than that on the 997 coupes. (Sounds like I'd have to remain a cab guy).

Since the majority of 991s are arriving with PDK it's impossible for me to comment on the 7-speed manual. The PDK benefits from several years of maturation, and when coupled with the Sports-Plus capability, essentially makes driving it like having a manual transmission--except you don't have to worry about being late to the stick as the engine spools up very quickly. I certainly felt the added 45 hp over my 997.1S and appreciated the fact that in Sport-Plus mode, PDK takes advantage of every bit of the RPM range. Of course having the PDK doing all your work, I didn't even have to watch the tachometer that much for fear of bouncing off redline--while I would have done repeatedly had I been equipped with a 7-speed manual. The DI engine pulls quickly to redline and when you have the PSE turned on delivers the nicest burble when you quickly back off the gas as the PDK starts to hunt for a lower gear. Just that would point me to ticking off that box on the order guide. We didn't have any PDCC equipped cars so that will have to be tested later.

The car does appear larger when driving it than the 997, and it is certainly a heavy car--sadly, no PCCB cars yet for me to play with, to get a more honest comparison from the 997. It goes where you point it, with no hint of oversteer nor understeer. They dialed in things well. I could barely tell that they had gone to an electronic steering rack!

Somehow I think I would wind up playing with the Sport-Plus button a lot if I ordered one with PDK. It's definitely "race ready" as the package maintains a very aggressive 'lead foot' with the rpms well up in the band--like I drive when I'm pushing my 997. It's nothing like any Tiptronic car. This thing absolutely exploits the engine's high end of the RPM range--what's redline--7600, now? I found myself above 7000 a lot.

I took the car out on my usual test track--Old San Marcos Pass Road. With the lengthened wheelbase and shortened overhangs scraping the bottom of the front end may soon be a thing of the past. On my test route it's very normal on a 997 to scrap on a couple of the serious hairpin curves, but the 991 doesn't come even close. (Perhaps the 991 GT3 variant won't even need the front end hydraulic raising feature).

Of course, at the end of the day, you have a true Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde car. On one hand, you can squeeze 30 mpg out of it on a long haul on the freeway, or get down and dirty and transform it into a serious track car. Instrumentation remains good as from the 997 so that will be an easy transition for the 997 crowd.

Routine maintenance looks like it may become a bigger burden--with a lot of disassembly needed just to check your air filters. Even with the oil filter accessible on the top of the engine (like the 997.2 cars) it's just not that obvious without removing the service cover.

Now riding on 20 inchers (991S) I felt no difference at all between my standard 19s and the 991's. I'm not certain I know why the growth occurred on the 991s.

The trunk up front is great--much cleaner with more room. They relocated things like the flat tire compressor to an area aft of the trunk but forward of the fire wall. They're working on the little details here and there.

Price-wise it's still a seriously 'a la carte' arrangement. If you want a very special 991 with many of the new features only found on the 991 then you're still going to have to tick off a bunch of blocks. I can immediately see the need for PCCBs (once you have them you can't go back), PSE, Sport-Plus, PDK, and possibly PDCC. I'd have to play a bunch with the latter to know if that's a must have. Seating is very similar to that in the 997 Adaptive Sport Seats--with now a 3-stage seat heater, for the cabriolet fans.

All in all, a very impressive Carrera. I'm just happy that I'm still very pleased with my 997!
Attached Images    

Last edited by Edgy01; 02-12-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Nice review and great pics as usual, Dan. One question as to what you mean when you say it's "certainly.... a heavy car"; it's probably close to a couple hundred pounds lighter than your Cab. Or are you referring to a perceived difference in weight due to the lack of PCCB's?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

My 'perception' is that it is a heavier car. I can't believe that just the PCCBs account for that, or my inherent bias from more familiarity with a cabriolet vice a coupe in the 997 line. I know they worked to shed some weight but the handling seems a bit more forced which I would attribute to weight. Perhaps it's something else that is giving that feeling. Of course, the PDK adds about a 70 lb delta over the manual version.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Interesting report, thanks.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

I would think the perception is due to the longer wheelbase and wider track of the car. Thou both combine to give a better ride and handling the "flickabilty" factor is affected. Might be perceived heaviness felt by dan
Old 02-13-2012, 12:29 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 274 Posts

Dan...................Sounds like you're lukewarm to me....would that be fair to say?
Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Tom,

I think that's a fair statement. It is a nice car but not the earth shattering auto that it would take to get me out of my familiar cab.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:23 PM
cascade
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thoughtful review Dan -- Thanks. Apparently the engine shuts off at stop lights, etc. -- did you experience any issues with that feature? I have been told that one can disable that feature -- did you see an associated button?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cascade
Thoughtful review Dan -- Thanks. Apparently the engine shuts off at stop lights, etc. -- did you experience any issues with that feature? I have been told that one can disable that feature -- did you see an associated button?
I have it in the pano. In the US the default is off. There is a button to activate. Works great in traffic and they did this to work on milage. In Europe the default is in the shut off mode. Not sure if it is available in manual.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:21 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write-up. It would be interesting to see if a PDCC-equipped 991 would change your perception.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cascade
Apparently when you have Sport-Plus engaged the auto-stop is disabled. (It's the lower right button to control it).

Also, a neat note about the 991--only the S models have to front lower 'splitter' feature that will actually bend at speed to increase the frontal downforce. The normal Carreras don't have those things. (See second photo).
Old 02-14-2012, 01:41 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts

Dan. I recognize that service bay. I want to get down to SB for a test drive. Do they have 2 991's there, and did they say if they are delivering all the new ones they have slots for? I usually deal with Walt in sales.
Jim
Old 02-14-2012, 02:02 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Walt is also my salesman. They have about 4 991s right now. All are PDK cars. (Apparently the NORM is PDK now with most dealerships--with few exceptions are they ordering the 7-speed manual.) I think the 991 will become the transition car for Porsche ownership--when more are delivered with PDK than with the manual. The PDK is very impressive with the SportPlus option. Without it you have an entirely different car. (BTW, that's Walt in the background on the first photo--with very long hair and a beard!)
Old 02-14-2012, 03:00 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

I wondered if that was him. He's looking more and more like a rock star these days...
J
Old 02-14-2012, 03:03 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Do all the cars look like demos? It sounds like people are just getting the keys for good long drives. These can't be the same cars that customers are going to want to buy as new...
Jim

Quick Reply: Edgy01: Some thoughts on the 991 after drive