Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012 | 09:41 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Pics and opinions, launch party last night

Headlight is quite bulbous compared to 997:

WE HAVE 991 CLEAR SIDEMARKERS IN STOCK IF YOU ARE TAKING DELIVERY NOW!

Note cheesy plastic everywhere....on a 122k sticker....and now chrome ring at ignition and headlight:

Overall styling on exterior is nice, wheel options were nice too, lighting is good, noise from pipes was good on the S (I got to fire it up, first time).
Seats were quite good (adaptives).

Dislikes:
Way too much non leather at this price point.
Not a PDK fan yet, so can't comment on this.
Saw a few goodies we'll start painting soon, since they look kind of out of place in that interior.
WTF is that between the rear seats and why is it there?
Sunroof looks odd when open, but I'm a cab guy anyway.
Key fob is goofy - very bulky and you still have to insert that into the ignition. Hey PAG, keyless is everywhere.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 02-10-2012 | 11:18 AM
kosmo
Race Director

youre right about the amount of plastic on a 122k car. IMO more leather like on the center console should be standard on at this price point. I do like the real aluminum.

At least there's now a "auto" headlight feature. I think this was invented in the 80's!
Old 02-10-2012 | 12:13 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

The Keyless feature is available as part of their Premium Plus option which includes lots of things including ventilated seats, etc. I'ts too bad you have to get the entire package for a few desirable options.
Should have more leather at this price but the plastic is well done. Makes more sense for the low option car.
I like the aluminum but would prefer some piano gloss black finishes on my car if you make them Eric.
Old 02-10-2012 | 01:30 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carcam
The Keyless feature is available as part of their Premium Plus option which includes lots of things including ventilated seats, etc.

Assuming the "keyless" option on the 991 is the same as on the 958, it still requires you to physically insert a fob into the dash. Based on these pictures, I think the system in the 991 works the same way.

Opinions differ, but I think this system is silly and not worth the cost and additional complexity.
Old 02-10-2012 | 01:52 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Assuming the "keyless" option on the 991 is the same as on the 958, it still requires you to physically insert a fob into the dash. Based on these pictures, I think the system in the 991 works the same way.

Opinions differ, but I think this system is silly and not worth the cost and additional complexity.
The new Porsche Entry and Go (keyless) feature does require a key in the ignition but they give you a "dummy" key" to leave in there all the time. With the key in your pocket, you simply turn the dummy key to start.

Not sure the reasoning there. My concern would be- having the key in the ignition, some bad guy walking by might think all they had to do was break in and go since the key was already in the ignition... I goes having a button start is too far a departure for a real sports car.
Old 02-10-2012 | 06:17 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Good points, and yes....we have parts in the pipeline now for piano black, satin black and a few select exterior colors.
Old 02-10-2012 | 07:33 PM
balakris
Instructor

For that price you could find a gently used 997.2 GT3...just sayin'.
Old 02-10-2012 | 07:52 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Eric .... nice photogs as usual, m'friend. I'm sure there are bits you will be painting and offering on your site. That's good.

When I sat in a 991 a few weeks ago, I had similar concerns with the interior pieces compared to my Turbo with full leather. The S car I sat in had standard interior, or partial leather with 14 way seating. It was black and hard to see what was leather and what was plastic.

I think the 'sun roof' is horrid. I would never ... NEVER ... get this option. Thankfully, it is an option. WTF? But, like you ... I like cabs.

Chrome rings around the light switch (auto ?? who needs this?) and the "fob hole" are pointless and unnecessary. And, speaking of the fob ... well, I got 'em on my truck and SO's Murano. Ugly, large, plastic bits that I don't care for. Give me a key, please. I'm surprised Porsche didn't give us a BIG RED button with "start" inscribed for us, too. I hate that deal as well.

The car I saw still had the shipping wedges in the front end. This grey car seems awfully tall in the front as well. Did it seem so to you?

How did you find the foot well? I tho't it was smaller than my Turbo's, but I've been told it is not. It certainly felt "different" to me regarding the dead pedal and seemed my left foot was more toward the center of the car.

Good report, Eric.

Maybe that "thing" between the back seats is the emergency brake. No room on the Panamera central console, so Porsche put it in the back. I did see the brake release under the left hand dash. I prefer the traditional hand brake. Just me.
Old 02-10-2012 | 08:12 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Just got one today. I think it works. Totally different car than my '11 GT3RS or 07 turbo. More comfortable and very fast. Nav is much better. I am a manual guy but PDK is awesome much better than my 599. Sunroof works great no buffeting inside the car at speed. Love sport exhaust and other sport setting. Keyless go works great. Try one you'll like it. The best one is always the newest one.
Old 02-10-2012 | 08:35 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Eric,
What did you think of the back reflectors? Any ideas on plugging those? Funny you mention the sunroof. I have been praying for a sunroof-delete option since I got my Porsche in '05. My friend has an '07 997, and loves sunroofs, until he saw the 991 sunroof. It's odd that the actual hole in the roof is half covered when the metal part is retracted all the way out. I will be getting one without the sunroof. Cheers.
Old 02-10-2012 | 11:15 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

I dont know where you live but getting one without a sunroof is probably a mistake. It will make it hard to sell. If you don't like it just don't open it.
Old 02-11-2012 | 08:57 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by carcommander
I dont know where you live but getting one without a sunroof is probably a mistake. It will make it hard to sell. If you don't like it just don't open it.
I don't know about that. If I were looking for a coupe, a sun roof would not be something that would sway me one way or the other. I've had coupes without a sun roof and liked the cleaner look of the cabin exterior and interior.

Plus, I have a '96 C4S with a sun roof. I think I opened it when I bought it to see how it worked. It has never been opened since. Same/same with the last 3 trucks I've had. All had sun roofs ... opened them rarely if at all.

Just me. Plus, I like cabs better for the open air driving. Altho, cabs don't look as nice to me.
Old 02-11-2012 | 09:57 AM
kernelofwisdom
Racer

Sunroofs are like the "swimming pool" of add ons. Some people appreciate and use them, and others really wish they weren't there. I don't like them and never use them and prefer not to have them, but if I like a car otherwise it won't keep me from buying it.
Old 02-11-2012 | 10:43 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Regarding the sunroof, seems like a semi-sneaky way manufacturers raise the price of products during development cycles is by moving a feature that used to be included, to the option list.

We saw this on the 996 cabs, when they stopped including a hard top. BMW did this on their R1200RT when they removed the electronically adjustable suspension from the included to the option list. Many more examples. Makes it seem as if they didn't raise the price of the new model as much as they did.

Hm.
Old 02-11-2012 | 10:52 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

On ride height, car was too new to know...no shipping blocks. I was first to crank it that night, seemed to be ok, but the angles of the shots exaggerate it a bit. Will probably settle and look/feel fine.

I did have issue with the driver footwell, since my left foot felt out of place. I'm sure after driving one for a month or 10 I'd lose that issue, but I'm a stick guy, so it would be tough.

Rear reflectors - yes, we're toying with something there, but I'd probably say most will leave them as is.

Stay tuned.

Commander - if you did not get your clear sidemarkers, hit up the BumperPlugs.com order page. In stock. Congrats.

Quick Reply: Pics and opinions, launch party last night