991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To PDCC or not-

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012 | 03:45 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Mike: The 911 is not an SUV. There's room for active suspensions (PDCC) on an SUV, not so much in a sports car. I bet when you drive a PDCC 991 you will see what I mean, as I know you 'drive by the seat of your pants'. The driving feel - 4 patch postion and angle info - is all wrong. Just ask a GTR owner - assuming that owner is an experienced driver, and not a Playstation operator.
Old 02-05-2012 | 03:56 AM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

At least one review called the feeling "unnatural" and many others were not raving about PDCC. It does give you the confidence to go faster on corners, but it does to an extent numb the driving experience. The 911 is capable of highly dynamic performance at corners without PDCC which no doubt is mellowed out by PDCC. So a case of over-regulation.

But again I would get it in a turbo coz it will go along well with the unnatural feeling of the turbos.
Old 02-05-2012 | 10:34 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbroen
I have not driven it, but the reports on PDCC relaxing sway bars, when not pushed, would seem to me to be believable on a cushier ride than without PDCC.

I went back and forth on this and ultimately checked the box for PASM Sport and added the PDCC to put some comfort back into the ride for daily driver on less-than-perfect Mid-Atlantic roads. (Also, this is a present from my significant other, so thought I would give her the nod on a bit of extra ride comfort -- the least I could do.)

That, and I am curious to see how the car will drive with the "hand of god" holding it flat in the bends.
Any thoughts on how the car will ride with the Sports suspension vs the normal PASM?
Old 02-05-2012 | 04:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ADias
Mike: The 911 is not an SUV. There's room for active suspensions (PDCC) on an SUV, not so much in a sports car. I bet when you drive a PDCC 991 you will see what I mean, as I know you 'drive by the seat of your pants'. The driving feel - 4 patch postion and angle info - is all wrong. Just ask a GTR owner - assuming that owner is an experienced driver, and not a Playstation operator.
Tony, the 958 Cayenne is more sedan than truck so it seems a pretty good platform for determining how well PDCC works. Still, since I've not driven a 991 with PDCC I have no basis for further comment until I do. I've read many more positive than negative reviews on the subject, but I'll just need to try it for myself. Hope you enjoy your day.
Old 02-06-2012 | 12:32 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Like Rushman in the "on track" thread, i would also be curious to find out the answer to his question if PDCC equipped cars have the same spring rates and damper settings as cars without it.
Old 02-06-2012 | 12:35 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carcam
Any thoughts on how the car will ride with the Sports suspension vs the normal PASM?
I am not a good person to answer this. My 997.1 did not have PASM.
I would love input on this, too.
Old 02-06-2012 | 12:45 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Carcam
If my 997.2 S with SPASM is any indication it's going to be firmer. Even so, I find my car perfectly suitable for most any road and since, from everything I've read, the 991 has a more supple ride in general than the 997, I can't imagine a 991 with SPASM being too harsh.

Quick Reply: To PDCC or not-