The 991S on track

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The 991S on track

The 991 is nothing short of incredible. Having the opportunity to drive it on the track and then jump right into a 997S on the same track provided a clear contrast on just how far this cars performance has leaped forward.

The chassis is so well behaved and much more neutral thanks to PDCC. This with the wheelbase change makes it feel nearly mid-engine. The contrast in rear tire wear is unbelievable due to PDCC also. The rear tire wears completely uniform across the entire tread pattern rather than the 30% difference you see on the 997. We had sets of tires to compare that were being removed from the track vehicles.

The elctromagnetic steering is also a vast improvement because it only removes the harsh feedback you feel under super hard braking on poor surface. Much more controlled feedback and balance in the steering wheel under hard driving and breaking on poor surfaces. Also better parking lot speed feel to the steering. We were not allowed to disable PSM, however I was able to rotate the car through a slide (drift) a couple of times and could feel the correction process enable itself. I believe with the PSM off that you'd be able to throw the car however aggressively you dare and it would drift. It would be up to the driver at that point. The 991 is not a robot.

PDK has been massaged with better software programming, instant roll off brake, faster smoother shifts under normal driving and much harder aggressive upshifts in Sport Plus and Sport. A vast improvement that I look forward to seeing in the Panamera.

In addition to the track driving and auto cross, we took a run up into the mountains. I can't remember the total miles, however round trip it was about 3 hours, We obviously were on open roads and drove exactly at the posted speed limits and the average fuel economy round trip was 27MPG.
I could go on but it's time for some photos.

Last edited by Abby Normal; 02-05-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Any further details on the track time? Sounds like it was controlled conditions, just curious as to the durability of the car during consecutive fast laps with no "breathing" through pit lane or other similar ways to cool the car down between laps...
Old 02-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by montoya
Any further details on the track time? Sounds like it was controlled conditions, just curious as to the durability of the car during consecutive fast laps with no "breathing" through pit lane or other similar ways to cool the car down between laps...
This was a 3 mile course with Porsche Driving School instructors running the show. These were pit-in, driver change and another hot lap out conditions. Cars were left in Sport Plus and top speeds were in the 125-150mph range on the big course.. The AX was 1.8 miles and the cars were getting driven REALLY hard throughout the day with hit after hit on the brakes.

Think of this, $250k in Pirelli tires have been shredded on these cars!
The new front brake calipers and discs on the S resist fading much better than those on the 997 and have near PCCB stopping power also.

Durability was not an issue for the 991 and they were all showing around 5000 miles.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:32 PM
VELOCITY 997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Review and Photos
Old 02-04-2012, 11:51 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Pretty exciting to read of the performance and the PDCC benefits.
Wow, cannot wait to read about the 991 GT3.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 AM
TKO
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by VELOCITY 997
Nice Review and Photos
+1 .... thank you!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:17 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Allow me...

Originally Posted by Abby Normal
...This with the wheelbase change makes it feel nearly mid-engine.
And... is that good? A 911 should never behave like a mid-engine.

The elctromagnetic steering is also a vast improvement because it only removes the harsh feedback you feel under super hard braking on poor surface.
Are you guys frustrated sports cars drivers? After all most of you raved about a controlled stiff ride, firm shifts and direct steering not so long ago... Geez... we now have active/filtering steering to 'calm down the driving experience', skyhook suspension with PDCC for a true Lexus serene/carpet ride. I guess the sports car is dead, because their new buyers have gone soft.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:23 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

... The new front brake calipers and discs on the S resist fading much better than those on the 997 and have near PCCB stopping power also.
FYI... the 997 S steel brakes offer the same (measured) braking performance including fade, as the PCCB brakes. The PCCB advantage is lower unsprung weight.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:12 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up +1--Gotta agree with you here...

Originally Posted by ADias
Allow me...

Are you guys frustrated sports cars drivers? After all most of you raved about a controlled stiff ride, firm shifts and direct steering not so long ago... Geez... we now have active/filtering steering to 'calm down the driving experience', skyhook suspension with PDCC for a true Lexus serene/carpet ride. I guess the sports car is dead, because their new buyers have gone soft.
Abby's review above might have some truths, and I'm looking forward to driving the 991, but the comments are a bit sycophantic and full of marketing hype.

Certainly the car is improved, especially in terms of decreased noise and increased luxury, but performance will be improved incrementally. It's not as if the 997s were under-performing. I mean, let's be serious--the 991's improved Nordschleiffe time is a whopping 3% better than the 997. Yes, it's better for sure, but that difference falls within the realm of driver error/skill.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:32 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Any experience with the manual 7 speed or were all the cars automatic ??
Old 02-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

Great write-up and review. Abby- did the cars you drove have the normal or Sport PASM? Any thoughts on how the Sport suspension will affect the ride? Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Allow me...

Seriously? "Allow me"

Yes it is good. The rotating mass is more balanced to the center and the result is reduced torque induced understeer allowing you to accelerate harder than a 997 through an apex among a whole list of other benefits. The videos of a 997 vs 991 through a slalom is proof positive as well as the drive.

And honestly your post sounds like someone who is frustrated. The 991 still does have a controlled stiff ride, firm shifts (only had PDK) and the new steering still feels live but yet improved under bad surface hard braking. Fading with the standard S brakes has been reduced. And while I fully understand the braking distances compare with the PCCB, the new S brakes have a lighter rotating mass than 997, are bigger and have a better caliper. This results in way less fading under track like conditions.

The Porsche Sports Car is far from dead and there will all versions to include the GT3, RS series, etc.. so if you want raw, it will still be available and better than ever.

It's absolutely silly for you to compare this car to anything Lexus has ever made.

Keep in mind these were S models that we drove and were made to be everyday cars that can still show up at a track and knock the socks off of most cars on the planet. So having swift steering for parking lots is an advantage.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carcam
Great write-up and review. Abby- did the cars you drove have the normal or Sport PASM? Any thoughts on how the Sport suspension will affect the ride? Thanks
Did not have Sport PASM. I like Sport PASM 997 so I know I would like this also on the 991.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Any experience with the manual 7 speed or were all the cars automatic ??
All were PDK. The improvements to the clutches, software and cooling are really nice improvements. The PDK now has instant roll off brake and that alone is a big improvement. Overall, it's a nice evolution and just what the PDK needed.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

FYI... the 997 S steel brakes offer the same (measured) braking performance including fade, as the PCCB brakes. The PCCB advantage is lower unsprung weight.
I'm looking at my Porsche provided Ipad at the PCCB tech section and the benefit right above "50% lighter" is "Excellent fade resistance"

That is the "near stopping power" I was referring to.

Quick Reply: The 991S on track