Sponsored by:

My 991 test drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:43 PM
WCE
User

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts
Default My 991 test drive

Had an extended test drive in a 991S earlier this week. Dealer tossed me the keys and told me to enjoy myself - so I did!

First impressions, the car is wider and sleeker looking than the 997, yet it really isn't - amazing how they managed that! Several elements I wasn't sure about when I first saw pictures, the extended front marker lights, the recessed tail lights, the ridge on the edge of the spoiler that overlaps the bumper cover - all seems to work just fine on the actual car. The car was black with a black leather interior, I have seen a standard interior previously and this car with the padded leather dash edge and door tops with stitching (that's all I noticed) is certainly nicer and really should be standard. The stitching was also black and nearly invisible by the way, I thought Porsche used silver threads with black interiors?

The moment I started the car I was back in my old 996TT. Even though the 991 is supposed to be quieter, the rear mounted flat six made it presence known without question. This car had 20's and PASM of course, and pulling onto the local choppy pavement brought back memories of my race car stiff (at least to me) 996TT. After a bit of a warm-up, I hit the highway and blasted up to 120 or so. Yes, this car felt quicker than the turbo and it should based on the test results I've read. Diving down an exit ramp the car felt perfect with no noticeable roll (no dynamic sway bars in this car). I set up for a launch control start on a deserted road, Sport plus mode on, brake on firmly, but the car would not enter launch mode - perhaps the dealer disabled? So I just mashed the accelerator and the car took off like a bat out of hell. This car did have the sport exhaust option and turning it on reminded me of my modded turbo exhaust with a slightly annoying drone, good thing there's an off switch and I wish my turbo had one. I think the bottom line is really anyone who is worried the 991 has gone soft has no reason to worry. Oh, and the steering felt great however I personally felt my turbo had too much feedback at times! And the stop/start system is a joke - since the engine is loud and you clearly feel it, having it die and than restart is way too noticeable and distracting. It also seems pointless in a $100k sports car.

Some tips for those contemplating placing an order but don't have bottomless pockets and will not be hanging out at the race track:
- Since the S felt quicker than my old turbo, the non-S will likely be more than adequate!
- Sport Chrono now seems unnecessary unless you're headed down the quarter mile and want abusive launch control.
- The dynamic roll bars are likely complicated and unnecessary unless your headed to the autocross every weekend.
- Car is plenty loud without the sport exhaust, almost too loud with it on.
- The car also had the Burmester stereo which did sound good, but over the engine noise what the hell's the point? The Bose will be more than adequate, however the bass coming from the front dash mount sub did seem a little odd. Maybe you'll be able to enjoy the Burmester when the engine dies stopped in traffic?
- Those who live in warm regions and complain about road conditions cannot imagine what it's like to have old infrastructure which endures the freeze/thaw cycle like the northeast. My opinion was my 996TT was the stiffest car I ever drove and the 991 is I guess the second stiffest! The base car and 19's with a bit of extra sidewall height might be the way to go.
- If you don't have to have a special or two tone leather interior, the extra cost of the leather interior is not worth it over the partial leather. Maybe you can add the silver door trims afterwards? Again, this car should really have standard full leather at these prices!
- The sunroof didn't bug me as much as I thought it would from the pictures. I liked being able raise the rear edge which does look good and improves cabin ventilation without the noise of lowering a side window, it did however look a bit strange retracted. Now I regret it's no longer standard!

I think the bottom line is a very lightly optioned base Carrera will be more car than most people will ever need, but for the lunatic fringe (ie most of us on Porsche forums) please have a ball with the options and don't flame me for my opinions!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another write up that makes me suspect PDCC equipped cars run less aggressive suspension tuning of the springs and dampers. The PDCC equipped car I drove was amazing at soaking up fairly harsh road irregularities. The 991 was better at soaking up a railroad crossing than my A6.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:39 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Very nice review, i agree with most of the stuff, my test car had no pddc but had steering plus and it felt awesome
Old 02-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Cevin
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review. All these real world reviews helps me figure out which options will work for me.

Quick Reply: My 991 test drive