Sponsored by:

Reversing The PDK Stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reversing The PDK Stick

For the life of me I can't figure out why manufacturers do this on all their manual overrides for their automatic transmissions. On the PDK stick you push forward to upshift and back to downshift. This is simply against the laws of physics which is why it's done the opposite way in every racecar. My wife's Audi TT had DSG with the stick in this configuration and I never could get used to it.

I ordered the sport steering wheel, but to have no fixed paddles on a car with a street steering ratio is also a joke. I would much prefer shifting via the stick ala a sequential gearbox. The ergonomics of the new raised center console makes this very easy. Too bad Porsche just doesn't make it a selectable option.

Does anyone know if there is a product out there or if it's just a simple rewiring job to accomplish reversing just the stick part of the PDK? I have searched the net without much luck?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

From the docs below, you can see that the position functions of the gearshift lever in PDK are integrated into a number of subsystems via various sensing devices. I'd be surprised if there was a simple way to reverse it's operation, and to do so would require a lot of effort (expense). Anyway, I've not heard of anyone trying to do this.
Attached Images   
Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Thanks Mike. I think I am going to see if I can fine one of the shift control assemblies from a wreck. I might also call Champion Porsche and see if they can tell me anything. Since they make the shift paddle retrofit it would seem they may be able to give me an answer on how feasible this is. I'm hoping it is as simple as swapping some wires.

Why the hell do automakers insist of doing this wrong? Where is the logic on working against the forces of acceleration and deceleration? Trying to pull back while threshold braking into a corner at more than 1G of deceleration is totally illogical and that's why all racecars are setup the opposite way.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Wannabeproracer
Instructor

my previous E46 M3 had it correct! all the Audis, VWs and everyone else has it wrong, I'm not sure why that it but its counter-intuitive and dangerous if you ask me.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Here's something to consider. For normal and even spirted street driving the paddles or lever work fine; you're not approaching the kinds of limits that are going to make shifting physically difficult. On track, I think you're going to find you're much better off engaging sport plus and leaving PDK in auto mode anyway. It shifts faster and in a more timely way than you can possibly do manually, and leaves you free to concentrate on all the other aspects of going fast. It may not satisfy your need to have the shifter work exactly the way you want it to, but you can console yourself with the fact that you'll probably be quicker keeping your hands off the lever.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have trouble with the manual H pattern too ?

3rd to 2nd is a pull back, but 4th to 3rd is a push forward....

... oh and the slight jog to the left on some shifts but not others ??

Totally against the laws of physics :-)

... perhaps a marketing opportunity for the Quantum gearbox... there is a finite probability you are in any gear at any given time ... or even all of them at once !
Old 02-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
Do you have trouble with the manual H pattern too ?

3rd to 2nd is a pull back, but 4th to 3rd is a push forward....

... oh and the slight jog to the left on some shifts but not others ??

Totally against the laws of physics :-)

... perhaps a marketing opportunity for the Quantum gearbox... there is a finite probability you are in any gear at any given time ... or even all of them at once !
OK, that's funny.......
Old 02-02-2012, 04:02 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

turn around and sit on knee's.. will be reversed..

remove from console and turn around and duct tape back in place.

unfortunately i dont think it will be able to be reversed, the paddles were added because they just changed the inputs on the steering wheel buttons...

if you took apart the bottom of the shifter and swapped the wires im sure it would work, but would be very difficult and risky.

my 2 cents are to get used to it... will take a few days.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:11 PM
19_hole
Racer

You could solve this problem buy getting a 7 speed MANUAL transmission!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:20 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71
For the life of me I can't figure out why manufacturers do this on all their manual overrides for their automatic transmissions. On the PDK stick you push forward to upshift and back to downshift. This is simply against the laws of physics which is why it's done the opposite way in every racecar. My wife's Audi TT had DSG with the stick in this configuration and I never could get used to it.
Funny, it must be what you get used to. This is my first sports car with a auto/manual. I am totally used to it now - the push to shift up and pull to shift down. I guess if they switched it, i would be botching stuff left and right
Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 19_hole
You could solve this problem buy getting a 7 speed MANUAL transmission!
Actually no.....see post #6 above
Old 02-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Actually no.....see post #6 above
So lets break this down:

7 Speed Manual:

Pull Back to shift up, but only if starting in an Odd numbered gear going to an Even numbered gear
Push Forward to Shift up, with a jog to the right if going from an Odd numbered gear to an Even numbered gear
Pull Back to shift down, with a jog to the left, when going from an Odd number gear to an Even numbered gear
Push Forward to shift down when going from an even numbered gear to an odd numbered gear

(Note: the jog is small... a big jog could overrev the engine)
(Note2: lets not get started on reverse just yet....)
(Note3: 7th gear... ummm...lets just not use this one... )

PDK
Pull back to shift down
Push forward to shift up.

now its all spelled out i can see why this is 'physics defying'
Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 141 Posts

It does appear that dual-clutch manuals are here to stay - and eventually replace both the conventional automatic and conventional manual in most cars. I do wish manufacturers would come up with a universal configuration. At one point last year I had three different cars with three different +/- manual selector patterns. Annoying.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It does appear that dual-clutch manuals are here to stay - and eventually replace both the conventional automatic and conventional manual in most cars. I do wish manufacturers would come up with a universal configuration. At one point last year I had three different cars with three different +/- manual selector patterns. Annoying.
Finally someone found the word to correctly describe some peoples feeling on this.

Not 'dangerous' or 'difficult' or 'law of physics breaking'... just annoying (well to some perhaps)
Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71
For the life of me I can't figure out why manufacturers do this on all their manual overrides for their automatic transmissions. On the PDK stick you push forward to upshift and back to downshift. This is simply against the laws of physics which is why it's done the opposite way in every racecar.

I think the last statement makes for a good story, told after the first manufacturer decided on that pattern for whatever easy mechanical implementation reason.

I see no inertial force large enough, not even on a Le Mans racer, that will force one's arm in any particular direction, even at max acceleration.

The PAG/VAG standard can easily be argued for - move forward to shift up (progress forward), pull backwards to reduce (slow down). Makes sense, doesn't it?

Quick Reply: Reversing The PDK Stick