Sponsored by:

Body Colored Painted Seat Backs

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:16 AM
tomshop
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Body Colored Painted Seat Backs

My dealer is telling me that body colored painted seat backs are no longer an option. Has anyone heard the same or something different?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Porsche Exclusive is backed up. They'll be an option again as soon the backlog clears.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:38 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

saw the same thing, asked on 997 board about difficulty to remove and after seeing how they come of.. decided silver backs are perfectly fine... i cant even imagine having the dealer take the seats down to bare metal to remove the backs, the leather would NEVER fit the right way again and be all snug..

:-(
Old 01-25-2012, 02:16 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rijowysock
saw the same thing, asked on 997 board about difficulty to remove and after seeing how they come of.. decided silver backs are perfectly fine... i cant even imagine having the dealer take the seats down to bare metal to remove the backs, the leather would NEVER fit the right way again and be all snug..

:-(
I wonder if they could be wrapped in vinyl? Your car is going to be white right? I'm sure there's a shiny white vinyl that would be pretty tough.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 AM
tomshop
Instructor

I checked directly with the factory and painted seat backs are no longer an option. I did seat backs in leather so they are the same color as the fronts.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:26 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tomshop
I checked directly with the factory and painted seat backs are no longer an option. I did seat backs in leather so they are the same color as the fronts.
This is incorrect. They are not an option right now.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:16 PM
bus stop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attended the Frankfurt Auto Show this year...primarily to see the new 991. While at the Porsche exhibit I asked about certain options, including the option of "painted seat backs". The answer was "no", and the explanation surprised me. The Porsche representative explained that the omission was due to new safety regulations. Apparently the painted surface was deemed a hazard to occupants in the rear seats in a possible collision where the rear occupants head contacted the back of the seat.

Just what I was told.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:20 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bus stop
I attended the Frankfurt Auto Show this year...primarily to see the new 991. While at the Porsche exhibit I asked about certain options, including the option of "painted seat backs". The answer was "no", and the explanation surprised me. The Porsche representative explained that the omission was due to new safety regulations. Apparently the painted surface was deemed a hazard to occupants in the rear seats in a possible collision where the rear occupants head contacted the back of the seat.

Just what I was told.
It's been in the configurator in different markets at different times. It was in the US configurator and Canadian configurator (now removed).

I was told by Porsche Canada it's just a backup in Exclusive...ie supplier backup.

It's likely the official answer is "no" to keep people from waiting. I don't think Porsche would miss this revenue opportunity.

Here's a config I did with the painted seat backs:
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

If the absence is really a safety concern, then will the carbon sport buckets not be a future option either?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:36 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

the safety thing makes no sense, either way it's the same plastic..
sounds like exclusive is backed up, look at the other "custom paint" options, they are gone as well.

i asked about removing them to paint, looks like an insanely big hassle :-(
Old 01-30-2012, 09:45 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rijowysock
the safety thing makes no sense, either way it's the same plastic..
sounds like exclusive is backed up, look at the other "custom paint" options, they are gone as well.

i asked about removing them to paint, looks like an insanely big hassle :-(
It's pricey but they look really really nice done in leather...
Old 01-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer simply said Porsche wants to get the early orders to market ASAP and Exclusive slows it down. That makes the most sense to me.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:24 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rushman71
My dealer simply said Porsche wants to get the early orders to market ASAP and Exclusive slows it down. That makes the most sense to me.
Though this differs from what I was told I think it's the best explanation yet.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 PM
tomshop
Instructor

I spoke directly to Porsche and I was told that they will allow a lot more exclusive options in a few months from now. For example, if you go with a 2 tone interior they won't currently let you deviate some of the leather but will later. For sure they are trying to run the production line at full capacity and it isn't worth the extra margin to slow things down.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

They had also removed PTS and interior parts painted body color from the configurer the other day when I was on (and PTS was definitely on a while ago).

Quick Reply: Body Colored Painted Seat Backs