Sponsored by:

Finally Bit The Bullet, Here Is My Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomshop
Do you really think the PCCB's are worth it? I drove a 997 with and without it and couldn't really feel the difference. Also, why the wheel spacers?
The biggest benefit of the PCCB's is the unsprung weight savings giving you a better ride and better handling with no trade off except for the lighter wallet. Properly used, they are bulletproof. Part of it is just my pure love of technology and wanting to make sure I have no regrets. If you spend money and get what you want, you will never think about the money again. Don't get what you want, and you'll think about it every day. At least that's how I am.

As far as the spacers go, it just looks better pushing the wheels out closer to being flush. So just vanity.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71
The biggest benefit of the PCCB's is the unsprung weight savings giving you a better ride and better handling with no trade off except for the lighter wallet. Properly used, they are bulletproof. Part of it is just my pure love of technology and wanting to make sure I have no regrets. If you spend money and get what you want, you will never think about the money again. Don't get what you want, and you'll think about it every day. At least that's how I am.

As far as the spacers go, it just looks better pushing the wheels out closer to being flush. So just vanity.
Exactly!!

For me it's also the subtleties which make something great even better, especially in a HP sports car. Spacers although only 5mm do make a difference. Many may not notice it, but many do; more importantly that the buyer does. I agree 100% regarding PCCBs: weight reduction; unsprung and rotating is immense, less dust, suspension feel, etc. The only downside is a a stiff wind would then blow my wallet away; as you said. Used properly and with a handful of DEs they'll be fine.

Love this build. Car should be wicked! Congrats!!

What are you doing with the encyclopedia on the rear deck?

Last edited by 911dev; 01-24-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
+1 on the black carpet.
If you're going to track it, skip the PCCBs. Any wear in those things and it's almost 20 grand.
That's true, but you can always substitute irons (a nice Brembo) for the PCCB rotors, while retaining the yellow calipers, in the event you had to replace them, thus greatly reducing that expense. Yeah, the initial cost is lost but at least there are options.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by kyrocks
+1 on the black carpet.
If you're going to track it, skip the PCCBs. Any wear in those things and it's almost 20 grand.
I have researched it into the ground and when used properly that just isn't the case. The main problem with PCCB's is that people track them with the stock street pads. The pads overheat, end up chunking, and destroy the rotor.

I haven't owned a Porsche, but I have spent more than enough time around them. What I have seen with PCCB's is that the people who don't know how to drive and rely on the electronic nannies end up making the brakes constantly fight the car. The traction control in these cars isn't like when it was allowed in F1 where it actually made the car faster than even the best driver could be on his own. They are are primarily a safety net. So Joe Noob hits the track with his OEM street pad equipped PCCBs and the car ends up constantly fighting the throttle.

I even inquired to my dealer if I should buy a separate set of irons, which they sell, for track days. I was told since they know I have the proper motorsports pads not to worry about it. Contrary to rumors, Porsche will warranty PCCB's. Think about it. Porsche has had PCCBs for what, 10 years now? In the land of lawsuits, the class action would have happened long ago if this was the issue it's made out to be. It's just like anything else, people don't follow instructions, end up damaging their product, and then tell one sided stories on web boards. Hell, I saw it just a few weeks back where a car with PCCB's was having the wheels swapped at the track. The owner didn't use a jack stands, just his jack, and his kid came by and dropped the jack! Bye bye PCCB.

Absolute worst case scenario, if they fail I'll switch to iron rotors.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911dev
What are you doing with the encyclopedia on the rear deck?
I deleted the one and hopefully there is no hole, just glue behind the other. If that's the case, a little heat gun and dental floss and it's all gone.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:37 PM
tomshop
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Would you buy PCCB's if you weren't going to track the car?
Old 01-24-2012, 05:42 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Tracking the car is a negetive to PCCB ownership.

A pro driver could torch $20,000 worth of rotors (one set) in one day. Not good for the wallet.

I would reconsider ordering the PCCBs.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:56 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

white on red is gorgeous, especially on an S with red brakes! (edit i see you have pccb)
Old 01-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Like I said earlier, PCCB probably pays even greater dividends on the street. When you minimize unsprung weight the car will ride and handle better over over uneven pavement. And I won't lie, there is also the wow factor of the technology I enjoy. I could wear a $27 Timex that's a perfectly fine watch. Instead it's an Omega Speedmaster Pro "Moon Watch" the only watch ever worn on the moon. I love that uniqueness. For that that matter, we could all buy Corvette ZR1s and absolutely smoke the 991 everywhere (drivers being equal of course). Simply put, I know myself and I know if I don't check every performance box I will have regrets.

Check out the new Car and Driver Lightning Lap that just came out. Look at what they say about the PCCBs on the Cayman R they tested:

In the uphill esses, there were no significant differences in track performance between the two cars. The Cayman felt a bit more secure than the Boxster and was less upset by the curbing, which allowed for a quicker, 121.3-mph entry speed and a 112.2-mph average (the Spyder entered at 112.1 mph and averaged 106.2 mph). We suspect the difference is due to those lighter brakes. They aren’t used in the esses, but even when you’re not squeezing them, the R’s carbon-ceramic rotors are seven pounds lighter per corner than the Spyder’s iron units. Reducing the unsprung weight improves the Cayman R’s wheel control over the curbing and the driver’s confidence at speed.
Read the rest here, especially the surprising 3rd place car, also one of our beloved P cars, but probably not one that first comes to mind:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...porschecaymanr

And at the end of the day if the PCCB's do toast themselves and for whatever reason Porsche won't warranty them, I'll switch to irons and have no regrets. But if I don't do it, I know I will regret it for sure.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by rijowysock
white on red is gorgeous, especially on an S with red brakes! (edit i see you have pccb)
Man, we are on the same wavelength! I've already decided to get the calipers painted red! With Porsche offering every other option under the sun including painted a/c vent blades, it's actually shocking to me they don't offer you a choice in brake caliper color. Ferrari offers something like 6 colors on the 458 Italia. I probably would have paid $1500 - $2K to get it from the factory even knowing I can do it on my own for substantially less.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:58 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Changed my build today as dealer let me know this week is it for any changes before it locks. Got rid of the sunroof and added black deviated carpet. $700 for simply putting a different stock color carpet in the car is highway robbery, but I paid it anyway. They knew I would, that's why it's $700!

Final build:

Carrara White
Carrera S Wheel Painted Black
5mm Spacers
Sport Seats Plus With Heating and Ventilation
Carrera Red Natural Full Leather
Deviated Black Carpet
Model Designation Delete
Smoker's Package (not a smoker, just like the finished look)
PDK
Sport Chrono
PCCB (getting the calipers painted red)
PDCC/PASM
Sport Exhaust
Sport Design Steering Wheel
Burmester (heard it in a Panamera and was sold)
Voice Control

Spent more on options than the cost of a new 370Z which is nuts, but it's something I have worked towards my entire life and there is nothing I could delete without regretting it. I had to live by the same motto I tell my customers, "get want you want and you'll never think about the money again, don't get what you want and you'll think about the money every day." Should be here mid-late April. Can't wait.

While there my wife saw pictures of the new Boxter and she liked it a lot since she was always a huge fan of the CGT it obviously borrows a lot of styling cues from. It sure would make a nice replacement for her TT. I should match it exactly to the C2S like a rapper! LOL
Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

So PCCB's actually save weight in two areas - unsprung wheel weight, which helps the ride and handling AND a much lighter wallet, making your pants fit better and less sprung weight!
Sorry to say, PCCB's are virtually pointless in a street car, and their low cold/wet initial braking characteristics make threm arguably unsafe. And given the track use paranoia of overheating and cracking them, then what is the point? (other than the negligible weight savings!)
Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 AM
pratas
Intermediate

GOOD

Carrera White
Carrera S Wheel Painted Black
Same as my build
Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Configur8rs
Track Day

Nice build. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on a couple of options that I'm still torn about. My build is still a year away - we'll be taking European delivery so that imposes schedule constraints on us. But that gives me plenty of time to investigate the options.

I look forward to hearing your feedback on the seat ventilation and Burmester. I love the sound of these cars as much as anyone (probably more than most I suspect), but a decent quality audio system is awfully nice to have on trips. The Sport Design wheel w/ PDK is a must-have in my opinion - I can't see why anyone would do anything else.

On the PCCBs - I haven't heard anyone address this but 7 lbs less per corner is significantly reduced rotating mass in addition to the weight savings. Surely there is a small but noticeable difference under acceleration.

Btw, it's your car - get whatever the hell you want. (That comment is for the board.) But I appreciate your thoughtful response on the PCCB issue earlier - that's good info.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rushman71
I probably would have paid $1500 - $2K to get it from the factory even knowing I can do it on my own for substantially less.
My base 997 brakes started pealing after about a year. My dealer asked what colour I wanted them painted and I went with red. They did a great job. If you already haven't, just ask the dealer to do it. BTW-very nice car! Cheers.

Quick Reply: Finally Bit The Bullet, Here Is My Build