Sponsored by:

Finally Bit The Bullet, Here Is My Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Bit The Bullet, Here Is My Build

Hi all! New poster here, but I have been lurking for a long time. I have finally done it and fulfilled my boyhood dream and ordered a 991 911.

A little about me. I just turned 40. I have 2 karting national championships from much younger days. I was an instructor for Skip Barber. Some of my earliest memories are of my late father and myself building Porsche models, so there has always been a special place in my heart for P cars even though this will be my first one. I came close in '04, but the dealer experience was awful. They refused to order me a 911 sans sunroof claiming they wouldn't be able to sell it if the order fell through. I took it as a sign and instead returned to kart racing after a 10 year break from the sport.

Any way, enough of that. Here's my Carrera S build. Tell me what you think:

Carrera White
Carrera S Wheel Painted Black
5mm Spacers
Sport Seats Plus With Heating and Ventilation
Carrera Red Natural Full Leather
Sunroof (I could have also lived without it this time, but it would have delayed the build)
PDK (crushed my right ankle and can no longer heel/toe too well)
PCCB
PDCC/PASM
Sport Chrono
Sport Exhaust
Sport Design Steering Wheel
Burmester (heard it in a Panamera and was sold)
Voice Control
P50 Brake Pads for track days with the PCCB

Yeah, I can't believe I am spending 40% above and beyond the car's base price on options and I know I won't get any return on them. I plan to keep this car at least 5 years and I may never get to do this again so I went for it. The only real thing I debated was getting was the PCCB, but I know myself and I know that if I don't get them, every time I look at the brakes I am going to wish I had. So no regrets. What do you think?

I can't wait to get it on track!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:57 PM
cat1pro
7th Gear

sounds great. i was scared of doing the red interior but it looks awesome
Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Once I saw it here in white/red I knew I had to have it. Skip to 55 seconds in:

Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dubai launch had a white with red interior. So must be a legit combination.

Your build is awesome and I don't see how any fault can be found in it. My only criticism would have been that you are spending way too much, but since you'll keep the car for 5 years that changes everything.

Congrats on a very expensive and very awesome purchase.

Do you have a package that includes auto dimming mirrors?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a great build. Pretty close to what I want to do - except I am looking at all leather and deviated stitching.

Anyway, just talked to one of our local salesman (Adam) and he just got back from Newport Beach and the Porsche 991 sales/drive meeting. I specifically asked him abut the Burmeister - he told me that since Porsche is sort of having Bose and Burmeister competing with each other - Bose raised their game and Adam said that it sounded incredible. Adam was always a Burmeister guy too - so on my build I changed it back to the Bose system. So if you do that - you can use an additional $2,500 some where else.

Mine is already at $142K and I wanted the duck tail option - not offered until 2013 models

Which ever way you go - it sounds great. By the way, don't worry about how much more in options it costs. Its your car, and its optioned to YOUR tastes. Do not worry about what everyone else is doing - do it for yourself.

Have fun with it,
Mark
Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Should be a nice car!

Only change that would be a must for me is to get rid of that fugly sunroof. Did you see it in the open position in that video? OMG !!! I'd be embarrassed to open it, lest someone would see me with that ugly thing on my roof. Not to mention the weight it adds right where you don't want it. I'm sure the curb weights Porsche has announced for these cars (which is quite low) is sans sunroof, since that is an option. (right?)

I'd wait a little bit longer and loose that fugly roof!

Congrats on your first Porsche purchase.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
I'm sure the curb weights Porsche has announced for these cars (which is quite low) is sans sunroof, since that is an option. (right?)

I'd wait a little bit longer and loose that fugly roof!

Congrats on your first Porsche purchase.
+1 on all points. It will still be a beautiful car, regardless of the roof. Just keep it closed.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:02 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds pretty killer to me. I don't know that I would go for the ventilated seats, but that's a personal choice of course. Although Burmester and PCCBs alone add to >$14k of the MSRP, I think you will love having both. Should be very fun.

Ditto on the aforementioned auto-dimmming mirrors reference.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:06 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Love the red interior. I have been thinking about what I'd build and the red interior is a top option if with a black exterior. Otherwise, I'd opt for a white car with black leather.

I don't plan to track my car (daily driver only), but I'd still look at the lightest spec possible with PDK - base model with PCCB and no sunroof.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Thanks guys.

Yeah, after sleeping on it I'm going to 86 the sunroof. It will save me some money, make the car lighter, make the car stiffer, and lower the center of gravity.

I am going to stick with the Burmester though. I just can't get away from wanting a nice sound system and I have zero love for anything made by Bose. I thought about going the aftermarket route, but I really don't feel like tearing up a brand new car.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911dev
Sounds pretty killer to me. I don't know that I would go for the ventilated seats, but that's a personal choice of course. Although Burmester and PCCBs alone add to >$14k of the MSRP, I think you will love having both. Should be very fun.

Ditto on the aforementioned auto-dimmming mirrors reference.
I just got my wife a new Jeep Grand Cherokee with ventilated seats and once I tried them I never want a car without them! I plan on doing some long roadtrips and when your butt has to be in the seat for 12 hours a day it's nice to arrive so fresh feeling.

I just wish I could have the ventilation without the heating. I'll never use the heating.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Hippocampus
Intermediate

Sounds like a great build. Congrats. You should think long and hard about going with deviated black carpet. It is $710.00, and will contrast nicely with the black interior trim/gauges and black wheels, and will hide dirt. Roof liner will also be black alcantera. Maybe add black belts too. I did platinum silver with carerra red full leather, black carpets, silver stitching, and silver belts. My first Porsche too after a lifetime of lust (age 46). Really thought hard about your combo. Cant wait to see your pics!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hippocampus
Sounds like a great build. Congrats. You should think long and hard about going with deviated black carpet. It is $710.00, and will contrast nicely with the black interior trim/gauges and black wheels, and will hide dirt. Roof liner will also be black alcantera. Maybe add black belts too. I did platinum silver with carerra red full leather, black carpets, silver stitching, and silver belts. My first Porsche too after a lifetime of lust (age 46). Really thought hard about your combo. Cant wait to see your pics!
Yeah, black carpet sounds like the way to go. So I am definitely stopping by the dealer tomorrow to change the order. Can't wait to see your pics as well. The waiting is going to be murder, but my ankle is still healing from basically being destroyed so by then I should be back to near full health. $710 just to grab black carpet during the build instead of red carpet, LOL only Porsche!

As to the dimming mirrors someone else mentioned, tinted windows usually alleviates the need so I skipped them.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:12 PM
tomshop
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you really think the PCCB's are worth it? I drove a 997 with and without it and couldn't really feel the difference. Also, why the wheel spacers?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

+1 on the black carpet.
If you're going to track it, skip the PCCBs. Any wear in those things and it's almost 20 grand.

Quick Reply: Finally Bit The Bullet, Here Is My Build