Order In...Thoughts/Comments?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 AM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomshop
Why PSE? Just for sounds?
Definitely. Have you heard how sweet the downshifts sound in online videos of the PSE? I'd hate to miss out on those gurgles and burps especially in a cab.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like a great build tomshop.

Personally, I always like the soft top color to be darker than the body color, it gives off the right contrast.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 PM
mstams
Racer

A few people of suggested the multi function steering wheel. While I like the concept I don't like the shifters with PDK. Much prefer the traditional paddle shifters which is only available with the Sport Design Wheel.
I prefer the paddles, too, and I find I never use the multi-function buttons -- so I think you will be fine with the Sport Design. Only downside is no heated wheel.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:41 PM
mstams
Racer

Does anyone have a view on the issue with the seat back color? Given I already speced a 2 color interio will I now have 3 colors with the seat backs being another color? Should I opt for leather seat backs to avoid this issue? Thanks
Definitely. I would go with either leather seat backs or painted to match the exterior depending on your taste -- classy vs. sporty. Much better than the standard gray.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
You asked...and I might get flamed for this - sorry ....but I find the Porsche grey interiors lack 'zing' for me. Not to say the new 991 iteration may be a dramatic improvement because I haven't seen it - but grey would not be my choice. Your car is such a nice build, I would be on to black interior with some SS trim or navy with SS trim or cream with umber or cream with navy if they make such a thing ....anything but grey I guess. I am planning on ordering a 991tt and thinking about midnight blue myself - on what not sure.

I just bought an 1997 993tt of which there are not to many (good ones) to be had. I found it interesting the percentage of cars avaialble for sale with grey interiors. With that car in partiular (993tt) anything on black interior (at the right price) sold immediately - grey...was a tougher sale for sure is what I got from three differant dealers if that would make any differance to you.

BUT all that to say...whatever appeals to you is in the end what matters and thank heavens otherwise we'd all be driving Basalt Black on Black!

Could I talk you into painted seat backs (when top down awesome) and PSE....?
I'm not a fan of grey either since it's the default interior colour for every model from every automaker out there. I'm sure the Porsche grey will be nicer than the one that Toyota puts in their Yaris but it's just so common these days. Plus, the grey interiors were so popular on the 996's that it seems that it's all you see. And in the case of the 996, they don't really wear all that well.

I love a classic black interior but I don't think it belongs in a ragtop. On a sunny day, you may as well be sitting inside of a frying pan being surrounded by all that heat-absorbing black. Cabs need a light coloured interior, IMHO, the old linen (light-tan) being the best choice. YMMV.

Lastly, as wonderful as the PDK transmission is, I could never own a sports car without a clutch pedal and a manual gearbox. It's a hi-tech piece of kit to be sure, but it's still an automatic to me.

At the end of the day, it's going to be your car so spec it the way you want it. Too many people buy cars these days and spec them for the next owner in the almighty name of resale. Get a grip! You're paying double what the next owner will so why should they get what they want while you suffer extreme depreciation driving someone else's car? Silly. If you want orange on blue with red seat belts, go for it! Besides, we all know how abysmal post-993 Porsche residual values are...

Sorry, /rant.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:25 PM
tomshop
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I couldn't agree more. I am specking this car for me and not for the next owner. I am just trying to get everyone's insight to make sure I am not making any obvious mistakes. I recognize that color combinations are very personal choices. My main concern is the seat backs and whether I am ending up with a 3 color gray interior against a dark blue exterior. Personally (assuming it is clean) very dark blue against a light interior is a beautiful contrast but I recognize not everyone will agree. What do people think of whether it is better to go with painted dark blue seat backs vs. leather seat backs. Also, I don't see that the configurator allows painted seat backs but maybe my dealer has that option. Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 PM
mstams
Racer

I couldn't agree more. I am specking this car for me and not for the next owner. I am just trying to get everyone's insight to make sure I am not making any obvious mistakes. I recognize that color combinations are very personal choices. My main concern is the seat backs and whether I am ending up with a 3 color gray interior against a dark blue exterior. Personally (assuming it is clean) very dark blue against a light interior is a beautiful contrast but I recognize not everyone will agree. What do people think of whether it is better to go with painted dark blue seat backs vs. leather seat backs. Also, I don't see that the configurator allows painted seat backs but maybe my dealer has that option. Thanks again.
Painted seats would really "pop". They'd be a sportier but more risky choice in terms of growing tired of the look. Your car would be unique compared to other boring brands and would stand out even among other cabs. I think it would look really terrific with the top down and would bring more of the exterior inside the car -- which makes total sense with a convertible. You might want to consider swapping some carbon bits out for exterior painted to go better with the seats.

Leather seats would obviously be the safer, more conservative choice. They'd be classy and tie the whole interior together. Leather might go better with the other carbon bits.

Either way it will be fantastic. Best of luck with your decision!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:08 PM
tomshop
Instructor

Thanks again everyone. I really think it is amazing to have a community of people who don't know each other, share a similar passion and all are so willing to help each other.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Good luck on whatever you choose. If the glove fits
Old 01-23-2012, 10:29 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tommy- The car sounds great and it's even greater because it's what you want and you can get it! No need to justify anything except you want it that way and you have the means to get what you want period.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 AM
tomshop
Instructor

Thanks Everyone. My dealer is saying that they are not offering painted seat backs in the US. Has anyone heard differently?
Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 PM
tomshop
Instructor

I switched my build around as I saw the Agate/Pebble and Agate read too brown. The car is now Basalt/Black with Platinum Grey Stitching and PCCB's. I did the seat backs in leather. Unfortunately you can't do the rear tunnel leather in deviating stitching now. I deleted the carbon fiber options as I thought it would make the interior too dark. I haven't heard of anyone on hear doing carbon. I was very impressed with the look of the aluminum strips in the interior. They look very high quality. I also deleted the model designation. Still March build/April delivery. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:39 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

The sport exhaust is switchable and I do like it.

Quick Reply: Order In...Thoughts/Comments?