Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Transmission would you pick, (not taking into account cost or "launch control")
PDK
32.52%
Manual
67.48%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: 7 Speed Manual vs. 7 Speed "Manual" with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

PDK for me. My spec racer ford gives me enough time with a clutch to really enjoy the technology of PDK.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:21 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

PDK for me too. A great gearbox. I have other cars with manuals so I don't lose out on that fun either.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

glad i went PDK, test drove one at dealer and the updates to PDK are really noticeable.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:41 PM
packwest
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% manual for me. I remember back in the days when driving a manual was a must on a sports car, a form of art to be able to drive it well that separated those who can drive stick and those who can't. Technology is slowly making this distinction irrelevant and removing this once-sacred human driving attribute. Sad.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by packwest
100% manual for me. I remember back in the days when driving a manual was a must on a sports car, a form of art to be able to drive it well that separated those who can drive stick and those who can't. Technology is slowly making this distinction irrelevant and removing this once-sacred human driving attribute. Sad.
+1
Old 01-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Rushman71
Instructor

It's no more sad to me than the loss of the crank starter. Once you can do it, there isn't much too it. I think the loss of the manual transmission is way over hyped.

Maybe when cars were slow people needed to feel like they were doing more down the long straights, but modern cars compress the straights so much, it just becomes busy work. Try racing shifter karts for a couple of years shifting 40 times in a 49 second lap and then see if you still miss shifting gears!

All in my humble opinion of course. If you still want to shift it, I'm glad Porsche still gives you the choice.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:22 PM
packwest
Advanced

I think there is a difference between between loss of a crank starter versus loss of a true manual. The former adds zero to the driving experience or one's connectivity with the car, while the latter is an extension of the driving experience you get when you engage behind the wheel. I would classify the loss of the crank starter in the same class as the loss of the roll-up windows, or the addition of airbags. If i were to track my Porsche, the PDK would be a no-brainer.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 PM
breakfastboy
1st Gear

Default What part of driving is left to "driving"?

So...when we're ready for "the i Pad"(aka 'computer") to drive our cars.....we all cool with that. Hopefully we'll soon be able to "drop out car in a slot" and be able to read a book while we're out in traffic. But...fortunately the brilliant engineers from Porsche and Honda built my 05 Carerra GT and S2000 with 'controls' that make me feel engaged in the adventure. Interesting....my everyday 2010 ISF gets engaged only after the push of a button on the dash to disengage all traction controls with "the beast" in manual (aka paddle) mode.....when I want to "foget about driving and attentive driving".....I ride the train to work
Old 03-19-2014, 09:14 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do enjoy doing some things with my hands but then other things are best when they are done for you

as a side note vote for PDK
Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 03-20-2014, 01:10 AM
fl0950
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm taking delivery of my 9th Porsche in a couple of weeks, having ordered a 50th Anniversary with a manual (I'll post specs and pics upon arrival). My last Porsche was a 2011 997 TTS, so a PDK. It was fantastic. My choice for the manual is simply my preference for how I want to control the car. But it really does come down to what the driver likes because both of these transmissions and are fun in their own way.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:08 AM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71
It's no more sad to me than the loss of the crank starter. Once you can do it, there isn't much too it. I think the loss of the manual transmission is way over hyped.

Maybe when cars were slow people needed to feel like they were doing more down the long straights, but modern cars compress the straights so much, it just becomes busy work. Try racing shifter karts for a couple of years shifting 40 times in a 49 second lap and then see if you still miss shifting gears!

All in my humble opinion of course. If you still want to shift it, I'm glad Porsche still gives you the choice.
1) Thanks, we hadn't had a comparison of MT to a crank starter or crank window yet. It's such a similar part of the driving experience that I can see why you threw it out there.

2) Do you drive on normal roads, or just the track? If I compressed street driving the way you're suggesting, I'd quickly have no license and not worry about manual or PDK. If you're not constantly on the edge and looking for the best line (into oncoming traffic), you probably have time to shift yourself. No argument that PDK frees you up to focus on other bits, it just depends on whether you are doing a lot of driving where you want that freedom.

Anyway, I obviously went with a manual. Seems to be disappearing from the sports car landscape which is really sad, is more engaging for the driving I do, and as CBejbl mentioned above having other stick shifts in the garage, I already have automatics and didn't want another. And no, I don't consider flipping a selector to 'manual' and clicking buttons to be manual shifting - it's computer override, or more accurately 'shift hint' mode since it won't let you screw up either. Of course, maybe that's my cynicism from clicking buttons at work and not wanting that in my fun car.

YMMV, or course.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 AM
Mercel
Advanced

Manuals are far more fun to drive on the street. Just turn off that start/stop nanny and I'm in motor heaven.

PDK is great, but less engaging and one step closer to Google cars driving themselves. I'll pass.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 AM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71
It's no more sad to me than the loss of the crank starter. Once you can do it, there isn't much too it...
You mean I can't order the crank starter for my 911_50??!!
What on earth is Porsche thinking?
At least I can still get my 7MT!
Old 03-20-2014, 02:34 AM
Mercel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

Quick Reply: Poll: 7 Speed Manual vs. 7 Speed "Manual" with PDK