Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Transmission would you pick, (not taking into account cost or "launch control")
PDK
32.52%
Manual
67.48%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: 7 Speed Manual vs. 7 Speed "Manual" with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:42 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
when i say to "default as manual" i mean a "stickless" vehicle like a ferrari/lambo where the car starts in "N" and you must use the paddles to select the desired direction/gear.
I don't imagine this is the case anymore. with the 458 with the double-clutch gearbox.

Being in neutral was simply a function of the cars having what was nothing but a manual gearbox with automated shifting tacked on. With the wet clutches in a PDK/DSG etc... gearbox it's more like a torque converter/automatic arrangement though not quite.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
when i say to "default as manual" i mean a "stickless" vehicle like a ferrari/lambo where the car starts in "N" and you must use the paddles to select the desired direction/gear. and then you must press "AUTO" to get into automatic mode..

fixed paddles are much easier for daily use, and on the track when your hands are placed properly they are longer and easy to reach as well at any time... i feel the function of shifting should be in a fixed location...... there is a reason why we dont have stick shifts on our steering wheel, or throttles and brakes on there too...

going from a paddle wheel porsche into a friends ferrari they setup was much more fun and easy to use... and made you drive the car in manual mode and enjoy it... the porsche is just too easy to go into automatic mode so you find yourself resorting to it much more than not.
Ok, I get now what you mean with the manual default. On the paddle location/functionality issue, most manufacturers seem to disagree with you, as do most articles I've seen where it was mentioned, but that's irrelevant anyway as IMO there's not a definitive right or wrong, it's up to the individual's preference. For another example of that, take your comment about how you resort to using auto because it's too easy. It may be easy to engage auto, but unlike you, I use the same system and make that one extra flick of the wrist to use manual mode 95% of the time. Individual preference in action.....
Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
I don't imagine this is the case anymore. with the 458 with the double-clutch gearbox.

Being in neutral was simply a function of the cars having what was nothing but a manual gearbox with automated shifting tacked on. With the wet clutches in a PDK/DSG etc... gearbox it's more like a torque converter/automatic arrangement though not quite.
His 458 and Cali are the same. Doesn't go to auto unless you push it on the console. Reverse Is also a button on the console. I really love it.

I know it wouldn't be easily adopted by soccer mom wives and such although.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-1280x782.jpg

Last edited by rijowysock; 01-14-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:00 AM
dahu
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it's the opposite, at least on european versions of the 458. When you ignite it is in Auto, you have to click on the Auto button or on a paddle to switch to manual.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:45 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
PDK

Legs and knees are fine. Been there done that on the 6MT - drove them for 25 years including 3 911's and an M3. I dont feel the need or desire to push a clutch any more.
I think the above poster puts it perfectly ... did you lose the desire to push a clutch ... if so go with the PDK.

One thing about PDK is it is the latest in technology and with a car like the 991 so jam packed with the latest tech features the PDK would seem to be a natural choice especially since some of the tech/performance features are made to work together with the PDK (Like Sport Chrono).

With that said I haven't lost the desire to push a clutch so I am going with the Manual ...
Old 01-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I like having all four limbs involved in my driving experience, it's just more fun and satisfying. Manual it is for me.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts

After 40 years of shifting manually, I'm switching to the dark side. On paper, I'm against it- the manual is more involved, more fun, simpler, how a sports car is meant to be driven. Then I drove a PDK for the first time yesterday. Took it for a long drive and it I loved it- fast shifts, wonderful downshifts with throttle blips, couldn't really find a fault with it. Better performance and mileage. Kind of like 2 cars- put it in auto and cruise along, make phone calls, eat lunch, drink coffee; hit sport mode or sport mode plus and shift away or let the computer do it and it's faster than I can do it on my own. I might miss pushing the clutch in sometimes but shifting, I can do that with the PDK.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:19 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Driven an M3 DCT for three years now... For the track DCT is awesome. For spirited driving on back roads I miss the interaction of a manual- you simply aren't going fast enough on back roads to be as involved as you are with a manual.

You know I wish someone like Porsche or Ferrari would make the center console shift selector like a gated manual along with steering wheel paddle shifters. For back roads you have the "manual" shifter and for track duty you have the paddles.

If I get a 991 it will be manual- I think it will be soon obsolete....

Last edited by montoya; 01-15-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:28 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

You know one more thought on the idea of a gated manual PDK: why not add a third "clutch" pedal to activate the dual clutch? Press it down to disengage the driven gear clutch and release to engage the selected gear clutch. It should be all doable with some firmware coding. Of course it wouldn't be a real manual but with proper coding it could "feel" like a very good one. It would also allow driver control of starts up and down hill where in my experience the computer doesn't always work as well.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:28 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL^

interesting to see the demands however, when i do searches on 911's.... it does show that 2 to 1 are manual trans however.. so i guess that is the common choice. (looked up online ones for sale.. and every year had more than double the amount of manuals versus auto's)
Old 01-24-2012, 03:49 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Driven an M3 DCT for three years now... For the track DCT is awesome. For spirited driving on back roads I miss the interaction of a manual- you simply aren't going fast enough on back roads to be as involved as you are with a manual.

You know I wish someone like Porsche or Ferrari would make the center console shift selector like a gated manual along with steering wheel paddle shifters. For back roads you have the "manual" shifter and for track duty you have the paddles.

If I get a 991 it will be manual- I think it will be soon obsolete....
That would be nice - I wish the PDK had gaiting so gears could be selected instead of up / down one at a time.

Until then, I'll take a manual please.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:42 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

No doubt : Manual for me.
If it would be a track car, then, I would go for PDK.
(But, let's still try to have something to do, ..between 0 to 65mph !)
Old 01-27-2012, 02:44 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

..and, also with no doubt, will wait for a 4S (cab) !
Old 01-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the PDK, but even if I hadn't recently destroyed my right ankle to the point where I won't be able to heel-toe I still would have gone PDK. Coming from karting and formula cars, there isn't much call for shifting a manual gearbox. IMHO, shifting has little or nothing to do with what makes one driver fast. To me, it's an unnecessary complication. It's almost arbitrary. It could be any other activity if you just want to have something else to do. But I also understand some people enjoy it, especially if they find a challenge in it. To each their own.

Personally, I like to concentrate on hitting my braking points, turn in point, weight transfer and more specifically feeling the weight transfer and controlling it to not break the car loose, choosing the correct entry and exit lines depending on the type of car I am piloting, etc. That's where much of the joy comes from for me. I love to read over telemetry and see where I can go even faster eeking out every lest tenth or hundredth of a second.

I also love exploring. There have been times I got in my car intending to just go out for an hour or two and then not come back until the next day. I'm planning a 6 week road trip all over the country as soon as I am familiar with the car. PDK is going to make that a lot easier so when I do find that hidden gem ribbon of asphalt I will be able to fully enjoy it.

But once again, everyone enjoys different things and it's good to have the option.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm seldom in an real traffic ... thank God ... so, using the left foot for slipping thru the gears is good for me.

I've never driven a PDK car. Tho, I did drive a 2009 BMW M5 with their paddle shifters. I was not impressed.

As long as they make manual shifting cars, I will order/buy those. 7 speed manual for all the way.

BTW, when they (and they will) eliminate the manual shifters from Porsche, I will buy something else. Maybe a Buick.

Quick Reply: Poll: 7 Speed Manual vs. 7 Speed "Manual" with PDK