Sponsored by:

C&D road test & comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:54 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Were you expecting to be overwhelmed by a car that has 4 more HP than yours?
i actually went from 997.1 to 997.2 and felt a great difference, the PDK trans was most of that difference but also the front end was much more stable and engine felt more torquey down low.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:24 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
It's not that it annoys me that the car is as fast in some places as the .2 gt3, it is simply that some people believe it is as fast a car which weighs less. That is not the entire truth at least not without a disclaimer. Without PCCBs is is not lighter and without PDK and LC it is not faster. In fact even with these aids, the 991S is not as fast in every discipline, which truly reveals how fast the gt3 is. 0-100 and the gt3 is more than .4 seconds faster than the 991S even w/PDK and LC. Simple fact. Yes, with these aids the 991S runs at least one lap as fast as the gt3.

I am not concerned about how much time PCCBs may or may not shave off of any run, it is the fact that some tout the car's lightness relative to the gt3 when this 991 has PPCBs which saves 45 lbs. PCCBs certainly do not have less effect that what you saved in seats on your car. I will say I do find it humorous (this part is not directed at you Mike) when people go on and on about PAG shaving 88 lbs (or whatever) from the 991 as if it will change the handling dynamic of the car so much, but when faced with the 45 lb PCCB weight reduction in unsprung/rotating mass, PCCBs have little effect, in their opinion. Geez.. I thought I read somewhere how rotating/unsprung mass reduction is many times considered twice that when compared to static weight loss.

Relative to your GT car remark, a turbo is much faster and very nearly as close at the ring, but not nearly as much fun as a gt3. With that said, I'd likely vote 991S (optioned right) instead of the outgoing turbo, but not in place of my gt3.

End of the day I do not care at all for LC. Like others have said, Use it once, twice and then what's the point. Far too abusive on the drive train and it's not a drag car. PDK, well.. that's subjective. I don't care for it and my next gt3/RS won't have it, but I certainly will not discredit its capabilities.

0-60/62 is basically meaningless, imo. In-gear runs to 100 and beyond provide better data relative to HP.

The only part of my aforementioned post I would like to amend is calling PCCBs an acronym; user error.
911dev, I'm certainly not trying to minimize the GT3's capabilities. I just get the sense (and maybe I'm wrong) that some owners seem offended that the abilities of the new car are even talked about in the same sentence as the GT3. The bottom line, AFAIC, is that it's pretty impressive that the new run-of-the-mill mass audience 911, details about specific equipment aside, is damn near as fast as the previous generation factory track-oriented car. Whether it's someone's particular cup of tea because of LC, PDK, PCCB's, lack of MT or whatever, is kind of beside the point. That's still quite an accomplishment. And it makes me very curious to see what the forthcoming 991 GT3 will be capable of.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-04-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:25 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i actually went from 997.1 to 997.2 and felt a great difference, the PDK trans was most of that difference but also the front end was much more stable and engine felt more torquey down low.
No doubt, but the person I was responding to has a 997.1S with the X51 package rated at 381hp vs a 997.2S at 385hp.

Ordinarily, there's a bigger difference.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
911dev, I'm certainly not trying to minimize the GT3's capabilities. I just get the sense (and maybe I'm wrong) that some owners seem offended that the abilities of the new car are even talked about in the same sentence as the GT3. The bottom line, AFAIC, is that it's pretty impressive that the new run-of-the-mill mass audience 911, details about specific equipment aside, is damn near as fast as the previous generation factory track-oriented car. Whether it's someone's particular cup of tea because of LC, PDK, PCCB's, lack of MT or whatever, is kind of beside the point. That's still quite an accomplishment. And it makes me very curious to see what the forthcoming 991 GT3 will be capable of.
Agreed.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:52 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

my opinion is that 991 will be a nice car but it will not be modifiable as old 997 car was where you could transform your C2 into almost cup car if you would want to. 991 will probably not take in any GT3 parts, will not take in aftermarket coilovers, will not... - add to the list. but it is probably pretty good out of the box by itself. to me it sounds just like a gt-r car.

it is probably for the best - those who will want real sport car will get a 991 cup or GT3 when it comes out, 991 C2 and 991 C2S will remain street only cars with decent performance and comfort but not usable on a track. which is not necessarily even a bad thing.
Or who knows, may be Porsche will still allow some ‘transferrable’ parts between Cx and GTx models in 991 lineup, that would be nice. But looking at previously posted suspension data I kinda doubt that, it became way too complicated with this car, too many ECUs, too many sensors and hydraulics. Looks nasty.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:01 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I just get the sense (and maybe I'm wrong) that some owners seem offended that the abilities of the new car are even talked about in the same sentence as the GT3.
No offense here, Porsche is moving on the game for all of us who love the 911.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a 991 with all performance options coming with the first deliveries on Feb 4. I sold my 6-speed Spyder, which I tracked at Sebring and other FL tracks, in anticipation of the 991. I am intending to track it also, and believe it will be fast, robust and fun (even with PDK). I made several mods to the Spyder (Softronic tune, Evoms intake, larger Plenum...) for power which had side-effects (faulted 3 MAF's). I am looking forward to having a car that will run hard right out of the box.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all these "differences" are somewhat humorous.

First - they are irrelevant on the street. All recent P-cars have more than enough to defy the Laws of Physics and Man on the street. Throw in traffic...

Two- Salj, you'd better be a better driver than the guy in the 997 (or 993 for that matter) or you'll just be pointing by at slightly greater speed.

If I had a .2 GT-3 you will have a very hard time keeping up. And then, there is always a faster car. A Z-06 and a good driver will leave you for dead. All this stuff... the only winners are the manufacturers and the nonsense is kept up by the Rags.

At $130K it is overpriced... no doubt.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:57 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

What's with all of the complaints about the price of the 991? You don't have to add $35,000 worth of options to the car. In my opinion (and I hope most others on this forum would feel the same) an unoptioned, $96,000 991S is still better looking, inside and out, and better put together than either the Nissan or the Chevy. My guess is that it would still win the comparison test.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:13 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
What's with all of the complaints about the price of the 991? You don't have to add $35,000 worth of options to the car. In my opinion (and I hope most others on this forum would feel the same) an unoptioned, $96,000 991S is still better looking, inside and out, and better put together than either the Nissan or the Chevy. My guess is that it would still win the comparison test.
+35,000
Old 01-05-2012, 12:26 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tgcrun
an unoptioned, $96,000 991S is still better looking, inside and out, and better put together than either the Nissan or the Chevy. My guess is that it would still win the comparison test.
first point is subjective

second point pure speculation without an ounce of proof

third point, an admitted guess

A while back Porsche had a look and feel that stood out from the crowd. Wasn't necessarily the "best" at anything but making users smile. True enthusiasts owned them because of all that. It was quirky, hard to handle, but true believers got what they expected.

Now... might as well be a Jag or A-M. But for your $135K you better be prepared to be pistol-whipped in performance category and depend more on "exclusivity", whatever that's worth. I'm afraid that VW is now banking on cachet since it's lacking what made the marque great in the first place. It's not that much different from many other GT's. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just not what made it famous.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:39 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Salj
I have a 991 with all performance options coming with the first deliveries on Feb 4. I sold my 6-speed Spyder, which I tracked at Sebring and other FL tracks, in anticipation of the 991. I am intending to track it also, and believe it will be fast, robust and fun (even with PDK). I made several mods to the Spyder (Softronic tune, Evoms intake, larger Plenum...) for power which had side-effects (faulted 3 MAF's). I am looking forward to having a car that will run hard right out of the box.

Better watch out - some GT3 owners think it will only last 1 lap..

Congrats - I'm sure the 991 will be a great car. Did you see the interview with the head of 911 development (free ipad app Christophorus) - who speaks to the 991's 14 second improvement over the 997.2 Carrera.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

rodsky, funny comment about 1 lap. I have seen just about every Porsche variant have minor and major issues at track days--even GT3RS. I don't doubt that the .1 and .2 GT3's are superior track machines vs 991 with all performance options...but I didn't buy a track machine just a kick-*** 911 that will be all I need both every day and track day.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Salj
rodsky, funny comment about 1 lap. I have seen just about every Porsche variant have minor and major issues at track days--even GT3RS. I don't doubt that the .1 and .2 GT3's are superior track machines vs 991 with all performance options...but I didn't buy a track machine just a kick-*** 911 that will be all I need both every day and track day.
Ha, that is laughable. Uninformed posts like this make me feel like I'm back on the m3post or NAGTROC forum.

The 991 is a street car whereas the gt3/RS is a street built car meant to handle track duty. Any way you slice it the GT cars will withstand track usage far better than the non-GT 991 ever will. Any car can have issues at the track, however, the 991 in non-GT form will have more. The brakes are not up to repeated track usage nor is the suspension to name just two items. This is simple fact.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:18 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by rodsky
Better watch out - some GT3 owners think it will only last 1 lap..

Congrats - I'm sure the 991 will be a great car. Did you see the interview with the head of 911 development (free ipad app Christophorus) - who speaks to the 991's 14 second improvement over the 997.2 Carrera.
If you're comparing stock cars with equal drivers, you're probably right.

Quick Reply: C&D road test & comparison