Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah its awesome. I got to go drive my 991 with PSE while my 09 carrera collects dust.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:42 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven the 991s coupe...much quieter inside than the 997S. I had 997S cab that I felt did not need the PSE. But with this car, it may be worth it. Its internesting to note that my good friend, who has been selling and racing porsches for 35 years, feels like the 991 is the first porsche that truely would benefit from the PSE. Its only downside is the $$$$$. Otherwise congrates on what will be great car!!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Storm Trooper
Intermediate

I just got a new 991s this weekend, and the model I got did not have PSE, whereas one of the models I looked at did, and I left the lot yesterday wondering. I drove it a lot yesterday and LOVED the sound. No drone at cruising, beautiful at WOT. But still I wondered . . . man, what would this sound like with the PSE? I am going back to the dealer for some things in a week or so and maybe I'll add this . . . if it adds hp and torque. If not, I'll put my money into something else for looks, because I love the sound already. But if it adds hp and/or torque, I am going to have to consider that.

Question: Does the PSE for the 991 available from the dealer add any hp or torque that is verifiable by dyno runs or otherwise? How can I find that out?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Porsche has never stated that PSE will add torque or HP. It's all about the sound. I added PSE to my pre-owned 2010 C2S about 6 weeks after I bought it. I will NEVER own another 911 without PSE.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

I love it. It quite a bit louder when you want it and not when you don't.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Storm Trooper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gota911
Porsche has never stated that PSE will add torque or HP. It's all about the sound. I added PSE to my pre-owned 2010 C2S about 6 weeks after I bought it. I will NEVER own another 911 without PSE.
Thanks for the honesty. And I do, indeed, understand how sound of the exhaust note can have an impact. The sport exhaust I added to my 350Z Nismo transformed the car, but it did so not only with sound, but increased throttle response, hp and torque.

So if there is no HP or torque gain with SPE, is there any change in throttle response? Or is it just the excitement of the exhaust note that you all are talking about. If the latter, that's fine, I get it. I very much believe in "sensation" aspects of cars - smell of interior, sound of stereo, sound of exhaust, etc. So even if the only difference is the sound, that makes sense to me to change it. I just want to set my expectations. I'll put that on the list of things to think about for this car. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 PM
gerenb
Intermediate

The 991 tech manual says that the PSE provides a performance improvement due to crossover pipe functionality. My guess is that it's a very modest improvement since the normal exhaust is very free flowing.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:25 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I see this as a no brainer. I drove a friend's 997.2 cab without PSE and I was shocked at how weak it sounded compared to my bruiser 997.1 with PSE. A modern day Carrera is so smooth that adding PSE makes you feel even MORE like you're driving something special.

We can't always drive these things like we stole them, but PSE adds the goosebumps and transforms the driving experience when you want to rev it a bit, bit don't want endanger yours or anyone else's life. Without it, it's too tame--sorry.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

On the porsche website theres an audio clip. I am working on some videos for youtube that will also give you a taste of the sport exhaust. Its glorious! The stock exhaust doesnt come close to the optional pse. Pse gurgles crackles and pops on decel at wot its like my gt3. When switched off is very quiet, like the stock exhaust.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Storm Trooper
Intermediate

I think I will have to bite the bullet and pony up for the PSE. Just got back to town, and took the car to the dealer, to get the windows tinted. It was a long drive there, and long drive back. The sound of the exhaust was not as loud as I remembered it when I first got the car last weekend and drove it home. Last week I thought it was plenty loud, and heard a little crackle/pop, but today it sounded nice, but not what you guys are describing.

I think the key is that with the touch of a button you can turn it off. I keep getting pulled over in my 350Z Nismo, because when I give it the beans it is really loud. But with the PSE, I can have it off when I'm cruising around town, and have it on when I'm out raising hell. That makes a lot of sense.

I just wish it wasn't so darned expensive. Oh well, when I die X years from now, I'll have a mere $3,000 less to my name. That's bumpkis in the grand scheme of things, and one way to look at it.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Storm Trooper, I think it would be well worth the money. I can promise you that the aftermarket will make exhausts, but they will not be able to come close to the sound of PSE.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:59 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was a skeptic on PSE, but now that I have it, as expensive as it is, it is worth it. It just makes the car sound so mean and sporty.

Quick Reply: Sport Exhaust