Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am cancelling my 991 order, thinking Panamera.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 03:11 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Rattles? Squeaks? Really? I started with an '02, sold it and now drive the '04 GT3 daily. I have the 3 RS's but don't drive them every day. I have never heard a rattle or squeak, period. Maybe in my old Corvette, but never in a P-car.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

It is interesting to see, even in this forum (supposedly populated by sports car enthusiasts), posters openly embracing more comfort, softer suspension, more relaxed driving, and so on. PAG really knows their customers.

Another point - many of these people now embracing GT characteristics used to profess hard core features, such as stick shift shifting instead of PDK. Now they are ready to accept a car that has broad steering control, almost driving itself. Funny!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe I have it all backwards, but I do love a sports car feel, I currently own a 10 Subaru STI and a 11 Mini JCW, both with manual transmission (I know, they are in a whole different level from a P-Car) but I really enjoy driving them, they push hard off the line, handling is superb, very comfortable for a long trip and both sound beautifully with the stock exhaust, BUT they are not a Porsche 911, period.

I am really looking forward for the 991 to be fast and good handling, but also a solid comfortable cruiser, I guess I am getting old.
I just put a hold on my 991 order, planning in driving it first.
Even though this is my dream car, I just can't justify having such an expensive machine that can only be fully enjoyed in the track.
Will keep you posted if the Panny rings to me.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:28 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
Maybe I have it all backwards, but I do love a sports car feel, I currently own a 10 Subaru STI and a 11 Mini JCW, both with manual transmission (I know, they are in a whole different level from a P-Car) but I really enjoy driving them, they push hard off the line, handling is superb, very comfortable for a long trip and both sound beautifully with the stock exhaust, BUT they are not a Porsche 911, period.

I am really looking forward for the 991 to be fast and good handling, but also a solid comfortable cruiser, I guess I am getting old.
I just put a hold on my 991 order, planning in driving it first.
Even though this is my dream car, I just can't justify having such an expensive machine that can only be fully enjoyed in the track.
Will keep you posted if the Panny rings to me.
Thanks for your advice.
I regularly drive a 997 long, 1000-2000 mile, road trips. Very comfortable car.

Road trip comfort is not a cushy ride, but rather it is a controlled ride. A soft cushy suspension car filters the high frequencies on the road surface and may appear comfortable - it is not, as it does not handle the low frequencies well. I drive 300 miles non-stop on a 996 or 997 and arrive fresh. The same route on a cushy sedan makes me tired. Perceptions are not always reality.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:19 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
A 997 is a sports car. What you call jarring, others call road-feeling, car-control feedback. I like red, you like yellow.
a truly eye-opening experience is to get a ride in a proper cup car with 1k+ lbs springs. after that it is very difficult to start thinking of something else...
Old 12-02-2011, 08:10 PM
ask
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last friday, I had the chance to drive a 911 for the weekend and for the first time ever, it was a loaner 997 C4S PDK. No offense to 997 owners but my still dream car was not my dream drive, The suspension was jarring, squeaks and rattles, lots of noise from drive train and tires, I returned the car today and I was exhausted, ...
Hey, that's my car! (997.2 C4S PDK).

As others have pointed out, the 991 is supposed to have much less "noise".

Honestly I felt the same way you did the first day or two after I bought mine; it's more "work" at first to drive than an average sedan. However – it didn't take long to get used to and now it's just the opposite. I'm super comfortable in the 997 and when I drive some "regular cars" I almost get motion sickness and feel like I can barely steer it in the direction I need to go from everything being so soft, loose and sloppy.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Maybe you're the target market for 991? A bigger, more comfortable, luxurious interior with sound damping all over to dampen the sporty feel, and probably with less rattle, etc...

Panamera just doesnt' do it for me visually, although good performing sedan.

I say, wait to drive both and then decide.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:37 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Agree with ask. I moved from BMWs to Porsche. Later generation BMWs, especially 3- and 5-series cars have become increasingly more refined and I found them boring to drive. My first 911 was an "eye-opener."

For a sports care, ride comfort is oustanding, and unless you are constantly hitting rough tarmac, it feels better than my current '11 5-series beemer. Then you press the sport button and floor the throttle, it will take off like a rocket. This combination is unmatched and not available at this price range from any other car maker.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:22 PM
beowulf
Instructor

You're disappointed with the Porsche but enjoy the Subaru and JCW detritus? LOL
Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

No offense to 997 owners but my still dream car was not my dream drive, The suspension was jarring, squeaks and rattles, lots of noise from drive train and tires, I returned the car today and I was exhausted, honestly I hated the experience.
I have not driven a 997.2 C2 or C4 yet. But I can tell you that I drove a 2011 CaymanS that exhibited NONE of the issues your test drive did. What it did was plaster a big grin on my face.

Sorry to hear of your experience. Maybe you need to give one more subject (a different car) a spin. (like getting a second opinion...) And make sure you you are not in Sport or Sport Plus mode.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Galvano
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll offer a dissenting view: If you are trying to decide between a 991 and a Panamera you really want a Panamera.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

You may want to visit your local Lexus dealership.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:19 PM
street
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a full lea '07 and that was a rattle trap. I skipped lea on my '10, and it's totally rattle-free. I've been given a Pana loaner about 6 times. Nice car, but it's no sportscar. Curiously, it weighs less than an Audi S4, but feels much heavier. I can't stand the rear view -- from inside, I mean. Hit or miss in reverse.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:30 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
You may want to visit your local Lexus dealership.

I second that. Porsche is supposed to provide an involved driver experience. If you find that experience exhausting, you may prefer a car that isolates you from the road. Try an IS-f & see if you like it better.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:42 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys, I made a deposit for a February build 991 a couple of weeks ago, just a Base Carrera, PDK, and a few comfort options, .
I am in my mid 40's and Ive always loved the 911, but could'nt afford to own one until now.
Last friday, I had the chance to drive a 911 for the weekend and for the first time ever, it was a loaner 997 C4S PDK. No offense to 997 owners but my still dream car was not my dream drive, The suspension was jarring, squeaks and rattles, lots of noise from drive train and tires, I returned the car today and I was exhausted, honestly I hated the experience.
I am not a speed freak or track guy so I guess I not the market target for the 991.
I am debating with the idea of cancelling my order and buying a Panamera instead, even though I like the 991 1000x better.
just don't browse the 996 gt3 forum whatever you do

Quick Reply: I am cancelling my 991 order, thinking Panamera.