Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 991 will be shown at Rennsport IV & Porsche Race Car Classic this week in CA!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Yesterday afternoon I spotted 3 black 991s driving North on Hiway 1 in Santa Cruz. They were nose-to-tail, and were sporting Georgia dealer plates. They must have just left the Rennsport Reunion... perhaps headed to SFO for transport home?
Were they in camo? I came across three black ones on 17 Mile Drive on Sunday, but they were taped up with camouflage.

As for the 991, the big disappointment for me was the engine compartment. I asked the PCNA guy to pop the lid on the yellow one, and all you can see is two fans and the oil and coolant filler caps! No one will be spending time peering into the engine compartment of a 991 admiring the flat six work of art.

z356 - How did you get lucky enough to park in front at the PRCC? That was a great line-up.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:56 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. No
Were they in camo? I came across three black ones on 17 Mile Drive on Sunday, but they were taped up with camouflage.
I didn't see any camouflage. I wonder why they had that on when you saw them? After all, they were publicly unveiled at the Reunion.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
I didn't see any camouflage. I wonder why they had that on when you saw them? After all, they were publicly unveiled at the Reunion.
That made me wonder whether they were 991s or something else. They were definitely camo'd. Unfortunately I was heading in the other direction and couldn't give chase.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. No
z356 - How did you get lucky enough to park in front at the PRCC? That was a great line-up.
The PRCC allocated special corral parking to the 'R Gruppe' and 'Early 911S Registry' groups. About 25 of us took advantage of that offer. There was no charge. It was just an incentive to get us to be there at the Sunday charity event. After I saw the dust on the cars on the 'normal' parking lot behind the PRCC event, I am sure glad we got that space up front! Those cars were just covered in thick brown dirt. Saludos, Eduardo (Carmel)
Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
The PRCC allocated special corral parking to the 'R Gruppe' and 'Early 911S Registry' groups. About 25 of us took advantage of that offer. There was no charge. It was just an incentive to get us to be there at the Sunday charity event. After I saw the dust on the cars on the 'normal' parking lot behind the PRCC event, I am sure glad we got that space up front! Those cars were just covered in thick brown dirt. Saludos, Eduardo (Carmel)
So that's how those cars got up front! We were in the main lot but well back away from the entrance road on the grass so dusting was only a minor issue on the way out. No thick dirt at all. Great event, wasn't it?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:19 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So that's how those cars got up front! We were in the main lot but well back away from the entrance road on the grass so dusting was only a minor issue on the way out. No thick dirt at all. Great event, wasn't it?
Yes, all of the events this weekend were great...but Rennsport was the most memorable for me!

Back to the new 991. I want to point out to all that for the first time in the 991 Porsche will provide a 'Sport Seats Plus' & 'Adaptive Sport Seats Plus' which offers a punched, or perforated, leather for circulating cool air. You might think this is not a big deal - but you be wrong! One of the biggest drawback to 997.2 orders for the optional 'Sport Leather Seats' over the comfort leather seats was that ONLY the latter could be ordered with a 'cooling' function. I had a long chat with the 'Porsche Exclusive' folks at the Paddock display about that and they are very happy with this addition to the seat selections. I have 'cooled' seats on my 2007 Mercedes CL and I can tell you they don't work as well as the cooled seats I have experienced in the Porsche models. So to combine Sport Seats with cooling is going to be a winning combination! The newly designed 'Sport Seats Plus' also have a more supportive extensions for thigh area and more closely resembles the 'look' the old Recaros of the early 911 era.

I still prefer the lighter weight, non-cooled, non-heated 'Sport buckets' in my Spyder...but that is a different subject of conversation! Those are not being offered in the 991's models currently in production!

Also know that many more 'Porsche Exclusive' options will be available by next Spring (2012) as the 991's settles into routine production. For example, the rear console bin lid, and the center rear area right behind it in the 'expanding' 991, which is all done 'standard' in stretched thin leather that looks like plastic, will both be available in premium leather with distinct stitching & Porsche crest (but latter facing opposite direction as crest found in 997 or 987 optional lids). Same for the option called 'Defroster Trim in Leather'. That part, closest to windshield in the 991 dash, only comes in plastic in the early production cars (see last photo below) but will be available in leather -for a price- next Spring! Note also the two-tone interior on this 'Racing Yellow' 911S. It would not surprise me if they also offer an upgraded front center console with premium leather & stitching to substitute for what you see in the photo surrounding the shifter and controls.

Altogether, for leather interior fans (of which I am a devotee), the 991 will eventually provide more areas to be seen with leather and stitching - especially in the doors!

I told the 'Porsche Exclusive' representatives, including the head of the department that traveled to Rennsport directly from Germany, that the selection of interior leather colors in the 991 seemed to me quite limited. They hinted that perhaps those choices might be increased in the 991...and that there is always 'Interior-to-Sample' leather as an alternative. This is a seldom use option in the US but something some of us might explore it in the future if a leather color such as 'Natural Brown', or something close to it, is not offered soon! 'Espresso' doesn't come close to the beauty of 'Natural Brown', in my opinion. The only other 'natural' premium leather offered is 'Carrera Red'. That is 'it' at present time for the 991!

Eduardo (Carmel)
Attached Images     
Old 10-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 150 Posts

Of the Spyders, I saw two Arctic Silvers (one was Zellamsee's), one White/Sand Beige (Mile2424's) and a Black one at the Boxster Corral at Rennsport and Zellamsee's at the PRCC yesterday!
The silver one at the entrance of PRCC was mine. It was in the turn 5 corral on Friday and Saturday as well.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Yes, all of the events this weekend were great...but Rennsport was the most memorable for me!
I would agree. The cars at PRCC were incredible, but seeing them in motion on the track adds another dimension.

Great reporting on the 991 seats, options, colors, etc. Regarding the cooled seats, I'd never had them before I got my Cayenne, and wouldn't have ordered them except that they came with a package, but I'm really enjoying them; they work very well. Still, I prefer the sport buckets in a 911 and hope Porsche makes them available again.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:35 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I would agree. The cars at PRCC were incredible, but seeing them in motion on the track adds another dimension.

Great reporting on the 991 seats, options, colors, etc. Regarding the cooled seats, I'd never had them before I got my Cayenne, and wouldn't have ordered them except that they came with a package, but I'm really enjoying them; they work very well. Still, I prefer the sport buckets in a 911 and hope Porsche makes them available again.
I got the cooled seats on the 911. I like them but sometimes, you can barely feel them. You feel them more with the windows closed and the air on.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by spourreza
I got the cooled seats on the 911. I like them but sometimes, you can barely feel them. You feel them more with the windows closed and the air on.
Yes, I think you need to have the A/C 'on' or you will not fully benefit from it! To the best of my knowledge, they are just micro-fans inside the back & bottom of your seats that are circulating whatever air is in your car's cabin. So unless you are surrounded by cool air, you will not feel the 'coolness', although any air flow will wick up moisture on your skin & clothes! But when you have these seats operating correctly with A/C on, sweaty backsides are a thing of the past and adds to the enjoyment of your longer drive! Saludos, Eduardo
Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by spourreza
I've only used mine in conjunction with the AC and you can really feel the coolness coming up through the seats. In the Cayenne, it actually allows me to raise the interior temp a couple of degrees, keeping the AC from cycling quite so much on a hot day, but with the same degree of comfort. One of those things like a backup camera that always seemed silly to me but it turns out are kind of nice to have, on an SUV at least.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that its the best body style since the 993. I saw them at the Rennsport reunion. In performance the new 991 S had the same lap time at Nurburgring as the 997 GT3. That is amazing - considering that its a Carrera S. The GT3 in the 991 platform is going to be amazing.

Mark

10 BMW M5
10 Cayenne GTS
78 930 heavily modified
Old 10-31-2011, 09:16 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the sneak previews.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:17 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The interior of the yellow car was a nice refined look.

Quick Reply: The 991 will be shown at Rennsport IV & Porsche Race Car Classic this week in CA!