Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   The 991 will be shown at Rennsport IV & Porsche Race Car Classic this week in CA! (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/659668-the-991-will-be-shown-at-rennsport-iv-and-porsche-race-car-classic-this-week-in-ca.html)

Z356 10-13-2011 12:15 AM

The 991 will be shown at Rennsport IV & Porsche Race Car Classic this week in CA!

I went to Laguna Seca Racetrack this morning with a friend and we saw a group of 991 models in the paddock area, all parked together and protected only by a simple Porsche-brand indoor cover. I asked the 'minder' if we could see one and they agreed. You could see the colors of each since the flimsy cover did not hide much. I selected to see the brightest colored vehicle there - the new 'Racing Yellow' exterior color! So the cover came off and they gave us a brief peak that lasted about five minutes!

PCA has sent emails that verify PCNA will do a 991 presentation on Saturday during Rennsport IV. This will apparently be done in the presence of a real 991. In addition, PCNA has large displays areas both at Laguna Seca and at the Porsche Race Car Classic at Quail Lodge (Sunday, Oct 16th). Obviously, the new 991 models will be featured at both venues. So all of you attending Rennsport IV & PRCC in Monterey/Carmel this week will be able to see the 991 models - up close & personal! Just think: the 991 world debut was in mid-September at the IAA in Frankfurt and you will see it here this week - just one month later! This is very gratifying...especially for those of us that missed Frankfurt! It is another reason for some of you to get here this week and participate in these great events. z356

Quote from email I received from the PCA:
"PCA at Rennsport Reunion IV - Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Once again, the PCA is honored to be a part of the festivities, organizing parking corrals with over 1,300 street Porsches of every variety, showcasing our Club Racing program, creating a special display of over thirty historic 911s, and hosting a hub of activity, the PCA Hospitality Center where Porsche owners and PCA members will gather to be with fellow Porsche enthusiasts. The Center will also be home to several activities including membership information, opportunities to enter the PCA Raffle, viewing of on-track television coverage of racing activity, and multiple special presentations by personalities integral to the rich history of Porsche:

• Friday 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.: Porsche Factory Drivers, Past and Present
• Saturday 10:30 - 11:30 a.m.: 991 Presentation by August Achleitner and two Porsche designers
• Saturday 2 p.m.: Visit by Dr. Wolfgang Porsche
• Saturday 4 - 5 p.m.: Porsche Factory Drivers, Past and Present
• Sunday 10 - 11 a.m.: Meet the Legends, Porsche engineers: Singer, Schaeffer, Naeher and Springer"

Mike in CA 10-13-2011 01:51 AM

I'll be at Rennsport Friday and Saturday, and the PRCC on Sunday. Really looking forward to a full on Porsche weekend!

Abby Normal 10-13-2011 01:47 PM

:rockon: I get to drive one Saturday morning!

4 Track Mind 10-13-2011 04:45 PM

If it's not too much trouble, I'd greatly appreciate an objective measurement of rear leg room relative to 997. Thanks.

mike993c2s 10-14-2011 03:35 AM

Here are some pictures posted over on the 993 forum:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-pictures.html

Z356 10-16-2011 03:47 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos I took of the 991's at Rennsport IV in the last two days.
First photo is of official unveiling at the Porsche stand at Paddock. The final photos of at the PCA Hospitality tent where 991 product manager August Achleitner made his presentation on Saturday morning.

A) Some Porsche Exclusive options will be phased in over the next six months or so. Eventually PTS and most of the type of interior options offered on the 997.2 will be available on the 991.

B) As a side note, I learned that PDK will be offered on the 991 gt3 & gt3 RS! It will be a lighter weight version of the current 997.2 or 991 unit.

z356

Zeus993 10-16-2011 11:44 AM

Excellent shots. Thanks. Did the the car look as good or even better in person (as if often the case)?

I love the wheels on the red car but can't see if it's a base C or a C2S.

JamesT7 10-16-2011 11:44 AM

Z356,

Thank you. Nice pics. The yellow is interesting. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Z356 10-16-2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zeus993 (Post 8948632)
Did the the car look as good or even better in person (as if often the case)?

First of all, almost all of these cars were S spec'ced. As to looks, as always, a very subjective question. Most of us will all get used to the new shape soon enough. Comments often heard from those examining it was that it looks bigger than the 997.2! But that could be also a reaction to the press reports about bigger size. I doubt most can see the extra inches to the naked eye!

What was most striking about what the Germans from Porsche AG were telling us, is the performance aspect of the car. That is what they are most excited about. And that excitement is contagious. Saludos, Eduardo

jw1977 10-16-2011 06:04 PM

That sunroof in the open position is hideous. I also don't really care for the mirrors on the door. Overall, i like it more than i thought i would.

DrJay 10-16-2011 07:32 PM

Thanks for the pics, car looks great!

JSF101 10-17-2011 02:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
z356,
kept looking for your Spyder all weekend but never saw it
didn't get to Race Car Classic until late afternoon today
Steve

Z356 10-17-2011 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by JSF101 (Post 8950179)
z356, kept looking for your Spyder all weekend but never saw it didn't get to Race Car Classic until late afternoon today
Steve

Steve, that is because I was with the 'R Gruppe' boys all weekend and was driving my 1973 911T Sunroof Coupe in 'Signal Yellow' to all the events! Did you see that one at the Rennsport IV Porsche Corral or parked at entrance with other early 911's at the PRCC? You must have flown because I didn't see your 'Speed Yellow' Spyder here! Of the Spyders, I saw two Arctic Silvers (one was Zellamsee's), one White/Sand Beige (Mile2424's) and a Black one at the Boxster Corral at Rennsport and Zellamsee's at the PRCC yesterday! Those were the only Spyders I saw all weekend...other than the Aqua Blue Metallic/Carrera Red parked in my garage in Carmel!

By the way, if you examine closely the first photo above (frontal view) of the 'Racing Yellow' 991, you will see a mounted cooler in center/bottom of the front spoiler. Now, all the 991's I saw at Rennsport IV happened to have PDK but only this one had that center-mounted oil cooler. I was told by a PAG fellow at the 'Porsche at the Paddock' display that this 'Racing Yellow' car was a 'Middle-East' market car (almost all 991's at Rennsport were European or ROW models) that is fitted for that 'hotter' zone with an extra front cooler - perhaps for the transmission oil. Both the 'red' and racing yellow' 991's were otherwise identical Carrera S models with PDK, although with different options on the interior.

Saludos, Eduardo (z356) in Carmel

GSIRM3 10-17-2011 12:33 PM

Looks nice except for the fugly sunroof.

ca993twin 10-17-2011 06:09 PM

Yesterday afternoon I spotted 3 black 991s driving North on Hiway 1 in Santa Cruz. They were nose-to-tail, and were sporting Georgia dealer plates. They must have just left the Rennsport Reunion... perhaps headed to SFO for transport home?