PCCB vs. Steel Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:01 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCB vs. Steel Brakes

Hello All,

So I did a search about PCCB vs steel. Most of what I have read is about track use and it seems also between version 1 to version 2 of the brakes.

So I was on build your 991. I have always had regular brakes on my previous 911s and I haven't driven a 911 with PCCB. I am not as interested in the track usage.

My question is how PCCB for the street? Is it worth the money? What have all of you found with your 911s?

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:36 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't matter which version of PCCBs they are if you are going to track it, you will have the same issues. Simply, you will pay an arm and a leg to replace them and they will only last about twice as long as a set of steels. Replacement ceramics rotors are about $16k a set. Strangely, the PCCB upgrade kit that comes also with calipers and pads is a little cheaper at $15k. Because of the replacement cost if you are going to frequently track your car, best thing is to buy a set of steel floating rotors and swap them before wearing out the ceramics. If you are debating on whether to order with ceramics or not and plan to track it, just save your money and go steel from the start.

If you are driving on the street only, ceramics seem to last forever. Given the standard front brake upgrade on the 991 S with larger rotors and 6-piston calipers, you probably won't see a performance advantage getting ceramics. A full set of replacement steel rotors should be about $700 a set for all 4 corners based on a slight increase for the larger front rotors than a 997 S. So cost comparison wise, it would take about 13 sets of replacement steel rotors to equal the price of the PCCB option.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:01 AM
jmm
Advanced

My experiences are street only, no track use.

Here are my owned examples: 2 1995 Carrera S models with PCCB, 1 1994 Ferrari Challenge Stradale with CCB, 1 1996 Ferrari F430 without CCB, 1 1997 Twin Turbo with PCCB, 1 2009 Carrera S without PCCB, 1 2010 Panamera Turbo without PCCB.

The biggest difference is not braking ability, it is brake feel and ride/handling. The lighter pressure and feel of the ceramics is definitely more confidence inspiring, but the improved ride and handling is what stands out the most.

On washboard roads where the steel brakes kind of let the tires and wheels skate along the tops of the peaks, the lower unsprung weight of the ceramics allow the tires to follow the road contours, giving you a feeling of control you don't get with the heavier brake, tire, wheel combo.

Also, because the ceramics are inherently lighter, some of that weight difference can be sacrificed to making them larger. This also allows a lighter pedal pressure and thus less wear. And they still weigh only about half as much as the steel brakes.

So you can choose them for looks, longevity, ride or handling — your choice, but I was sorry I didn't have them on the cars above without them. They are now standard on all Ferraris.

My 991, on order for February (probably), has PCCB's chosen. I wouldn't be without them.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 584 Posts

I run with the PCCBs. They were a deciding factor in getting my car over another (both lightly used) and would have them again. They are super clean and stop amazingly well, despite the odd noise issue. (and they're YELLOW which may be the REAL reason many of us have them.

Last edited by Zeus993; 09-20-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My current 997S has them and all my future Porsches will have them. They provide a great feel on bumpy roads. They barely wear out at all. My pads wore so little in 40,000 miles. Do a search on the 997 forum for my specs. They will clearly last 250,000 miles of street driving, with the added bonus of no dust to speak of and lower maintenance costs.

Keep in mind that you are comparing ceramics to IRON--not STEEL.

Last edited by Edgy01; 09-21-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:30 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

It's a good option, better braking, lighter weight, less dust, etc...

BUT, I really cannot justify the price, WHEN the regular steel brakes are as good as they are on 997 (and I assume on 991). I also totally don't like the yellow color, and you ALWAYS have to be SUPER CAREFUL when mounting wheels, or doing anything to your brakes, as JUST A CHIP on one rotor, will make it unusable, and you MUST THEN change ALL rotors! That's $8K, ouch!

So, if I was buying a used car, and I had two options of Steel vs. PCCB and they were within a $1000 of each, I'd pick PCCB, but I really don't think its' worth that much extra at order time. For that kind of money, you can get FULL Leather interior, Porsche Sports Exhaust, Sports Chrono, and a few more goodies!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:51 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Living in MN, I have to ask this question. Has anyone ever used the PCCB brakes in cold weather? I am not talking 60 degrees for you Californians, I mean Zero and below, really cold, winter and snow and stuff.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:09 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Love em and would select them again. The bite is suburb, the lack of brake dust, remarkable.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
Living in MN, I have to ask this question. Has anyone ever used the PCCB brakes in cold weather? I am not talking 60 degrees for you Californians, I mean Zero and below, really cold, winter and snow and stuff.
Yes. They work great. We go sub-zero C here every now and again and they work fine. You have to think weather in Germany gets cold in the winter. They also test the 911s in northern Canada (yes - there is a COLDER northern area of Canada. It's not all "north").
Old 09-22-2011, 11:52 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Yes. They work great. We go sub-zero C here every now and again and they work fine. You have to think weather in Germany gets cold in the winter. They also test the 911s in northern Canada (yes - there is a COLDER northern area of Canada. It's not all "north").
Very good to know, thanks. I am aware they test the cars in cold weather, wasn't sure if that also meant the PCCB brakes are able to cope with the weather as well.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:55 AM
WAY
Instructor

I have PCCB on my Spyder and GT3. In fact, I've had two Spyder and two 997.2 GT3, the first set of both without PCCB and the second set of both with PCCB. On the Spyder, PCCB increases braking performance tremendously. On the GT3, less so. When you look at the increase in size over stock, you can see why it is so much better on the Spyder than GT3.

Which brings me to 991 C2S. Will I be ordering PCCB? Probably not, as the standard brakes are 350/340mm front and rear, and the PCCBs are 350 all round (same as all 997 below GT3 and all Boxsters/Caymans). This means that you are not going to get a big performance difference, especially with the new 6 piston big red. Sure, PCCB will still be a lot lighter and give much better steering feel, and the lack of brake dust is simply perfect, but at what price? Not worth it for the C2S IMHO. On a C2 it makes a bit more sense.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

good thinking, wayne!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 PM
WAY
Instructor

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
good thinking, wayne!
Sometimes even I am not wasteful James.

Hey I'm in Sydney for leisure in a couple of weeks. Catchup with you and Eddy on Friday, sat or Sunday night perhaps? PM me on Tex if you can. I'm not on here often.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

An additional plus yhhhhhhhhhhhhtghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh8 (sorry--cat involved there).. is that PCCBs suffer far less from corrosion--something you see a lot more of up north, from all the "road additives" you get!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

Thanks everyone. It seems PCCBs are terrific for the street but costly for track use. I am still undecided.

Anyone feel the difference in braking distance etc?

Cheers,

Quick Reply: PCCB vs. Steel Brakes