Sponsored by:

PCCB vs. Steel Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WAY
I have PCCB on my Spyder and GT3. In fact, I've had two Spyder and two 997.2 GT3, the first set of both without PCCB and the second set of both with PCCB. On the Spyder, PCCB increases braking performance tremendously. On the GT3, less so. When you look at the increase in size over stock, you can see why it is so much better on the Spyder than GT3.

Which brings me to 991 C2S. Will I be ordering PCCB? Probably not, as the standard brakes are 350/340mm front and rear, and the PCCBs are 350 all round (same as all 997 below GT3 and all Boxsters/Caymans). This means that you are not going to get a big performance difference, especially with the new 6 piston big red. Sure, PCCB will still be a lot lighter and give much better steering feel, and the lack of brake dust is simply perfect, but at what price? Not worth it for the C2S IMHO. On a C2 it makes a bit more sense.
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but the 997 Carrera~ below GT3~ has smaller brakes (front also) than what PCCBs offer. Yes, our GT3s have the same diameter rotors fore and aft as PCCB, however, the Carreras do not. Porsche's website does not yet detail the size of the rotors on the 991. I suspect they are still smaller than the PCCB or iron GT3/RS rotors judging from the photos I have seen.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 AM
WAY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but the 997 Carrera~ below GT3~ has smaller brakes (front also) than what PCCBs offer. Yes, our GT3s have the same diameter rotors fore and aft as PCCB, however, the Carreras do not. Porsche's website does not yet detail the size of the rotors on the 991. I suspect they are still smaller than the PCCB or iron GT3/RS rotors judging from the photos I have seen.
The 991 PCCBs as I mentioned are 350mm all round, same as 997.2 models below Gt3 and all 987.2 models. 991 C2S will have 350/340mm front/rear, so all you gain from a rotor size difference is 10mm in the rear. Hope this is clearer.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:51 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WAY
The 991 PCCBs as I mentioned are 350mm all round, same as 997.2 models below Gt3 and all 987.2 models. 991 C2S will have 350/340mm front/rear, so all you gain from a rotor size difference is 10mm in the rear. Hope this is clearer.
Oh, got it, thanks! I thought that the Carrera's PCCB front rotors were the same diameter as our .2 GT3s. I guess I always assumed that PCCBs were the same diameter no what model you chose.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesT7
Thanks everyone. It seems PCCBs are terrific for the street but costly for track use. I am still undecided.

Anyone feel the difference in braking distance etc?

Cheers,
You'll probably only see that in that the PCCBs do not fade at all. Iron will.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesT7
Thanks everyone. It seems PCCBs are terrific for the street but costly for track use. I am still undecided.

Anyone feel the difference in braking distance etc?

Cheers,
NO! You will get into ABS zone pretty much at the same point with both. Honestly, it's more of a great technology to have, just to have it... while benefit on regular street driving is not that noticable (lower sprung weight for instance).

IF I was buying a used car and I had an option between PCCB and Regular around the same price +/- $1000, I'd 100% get the PCCB... but to order such an expensive option on a brand new car, I really would think twice. For that money you can get sooo many other options that would have a bigger impact on your drive/comfort.

Just my .02.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You'll probably only see that in that the PCCBs do not fade at all. Iron will.
When was the last time you managed to make your *steel* 997 brakes fade on the stree? It doesn't even fade on track after 20mins sessions, and with upgraded pads no fade at all!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Standard brakes do not fade at all for a GT3 or a newer Turbo. I forget that discussion about the 991 will include comments from experiences with Carreras and Carrera S' with lesser brakes. Basically any of the cars with 6-piston 350mm+ front brakes don't have fading issues. Only issue with either sets of brakes (iron or PCCB) is the fluid. With the OEM fluid you can easily get a soft pedal at the track. This is not fade, it is boiling over the fluid and losing pedal pressure. With a decent fluid, like RBF600, you will never see fade or have an pedal issues even with the OEM Pagid pads. With lesser brakes, like standard 996/997 Carreras you can get brake fade even with upgraded cooling, pads and fluid. Given the success of standard 997.1 GT3 and Turbo brakes though, I think it will be very hard to justify the cost of the PCCB option with the improvements with the standard brakes on the 991 S.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 10-02-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:22 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Only once years ago did I get fade on iron brakes--bled the system to get back on the track safely. But why not have the best brakes for your car?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:41 PM
JamesT7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks All,

I haven't had the chance to drive a PCCB equipt 911. I will have to think about it. Lots of good points. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Old 06-24-2013, 02:20 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking for a link to a lost article on a recent (I think, within the last 5-6 months 2013) performance comparison between PCCB and steel brakes. Somewhere, I ran across an article, perhaps Evo or one of the other car magazines, in which the authors had secured either two identical cars, (? Porsche Carreras), or been able to convert systems, one equipped with, the other without PCCB. The article then ran several comparison tests, including dyno runs and 0-60 acceleration as well as stopping tests to actually quantify the performance gains from shaving @ 10lbs off each corner of the car.

Failed to bookmark, or copy the text and now can't locate the link. Anyone else see this, or have a link to the information? I've been trying several "google" searches with variations on "PCCB vs. steel brake performance comparison" but so far no luck in stumbling back across the actual article and reported data. As I recall, the PCCB car was several 1/10ths faster to 60 etc. over the steel brake car, and there were other reported handling gains/improvements attributed to the rotating/sprung weight reductions.

Cheers, mike
Old 06-24-2013, 02:22 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribe
Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

One of the reasons I just ordered a Turbo over a Turbo S is that I didn't want to deal with the ceramic brakes. On my 599 and on my current 458 they are touchy but work great. And clean wheels are great.

Porsche steel brakes work fantastic. Ceramic brakes are fragile. A bad tire change or rock will put a dent in your wallet. I rarely keep my cars long enough to do brakes on them so longevity is not valid for me.

If your local tire guy fixes a flat and chips a rotor you are going to have to sue them. Once they get wise to ceramic brakes your local tire guy is not going to touch them.

The used market inventually wont like them either.

10K for dubious bragging rights IMHO.

Quick Reply: PCCB vs. Steel Brakes