Sponsored by:

Finally my 991 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Agreed. This was my thought. 126K and where is the go fast stuff?
Jim
I am confident that the now FREE sport buttom will be a step forward, but my premise is that a base Carrera should be a fast and fun car bare bones , without the PASM, PSE, SC, SC+, blah, blah, blah and all those costly performance options.
If it isnt as freaking fast and fun to drive as my 6speed Mini John Cooper Works, I will have thrown $126K down the drain.

Last week I test drove a 911 for the first time, it was a manual 997 Carrera 4S, which btw is the only 911 test car avaliable to me, and I liked it a lot, having said that, a medium optioned 991 CS is way over my budget at $160K.

Last edited by Galion; 09-11-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,570 Posts

I don't mean to be a jerk but silver over black is a bit typical. They offer so many interesting combos to pick from. Silver over red maybe? Think about it.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:43 PM
malammik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think twice about the colored instrument dials. If you see red or yellow instrument dials in person and liked them, go for it.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Galion,
What country are you in? Standard features vary dramatically from country to country. I think folks assume you are in the USA but, even if you are only in Canada, standard features are different.

And you will find that quite a few folks here lean heavily on the track-oriented options. However, your original options list and statement about expected style of use indicates clearly that those recommended sport options would be a waste of money for you.

1. Your first Porsche
2. Your are the one spending the money
3. Get whatever sounds good to you.

Virtually everyone here would build it differently in some way to suit their personal tastes.

It is a Porsche 991. There are no wrong answers.

Last edited by Thundertub; 09-12-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Galion,

This is what makes a Porsche the car it is today. You can select a many or few options as you would like. However, The pricing seems costly in comparison to what you are actually getting for the money.

Good luck in the purchase.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Galion
Pro

Thank you very much, things are clearer for me now. I have updated my build in order to keep it simpler and I am saving a few $$$ too I think thats the way I will enjoy my first 911 more

911 Carrera
Platinum Silver Metallic
Partial leather interior in Black
Porsche crest in headrests
ParkAssist front and rear
Model designition "911"
Porsche dimming interior mirror w/rain sensor
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) ****Sport Button is STD****
20-inch Carrera S wheel
Floor mats
Light design package
Cruise control
HomeLink® (garage door opener)
SportDesign steering wheel
Aluminium brushed interior package
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module

Last edited by Galion; 09-12-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Your new spec is much cleaner and focused. So far so good. However, you are significantly reducing the number of eventual potential buyers, and, more importantly, robbing yourself of the absolute thrill of Sport Plus' race-bred gear shift programme by leaving Sport Chrono P+ off the list. The Sport button alone does not provide this.

This is your first Porsche and if you are one of the lucky ones who "gets it", your life is going to change. Judging by the size of your first spec I'm pretty sure your existence won't be threatened by the expenditure of a couple of thousand $s. But how will you feel driving around in a sports car that's been neutered?

In fact, 20" wheels are uncomfortable, unnecessary and handle worse than 19"s. Pay for the SC+ by dropping these.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:32 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I wish people would stop writing about THEIR 20" issues as "facts".
What is a "fact" is that the "S" (with 20") has set a phenomenal time on the Ring.

Porsche is using 20" because technology allows it. And because it looks good.

I am old enough to remember Porsche going to 16" on the turbo for the first time.
The debate among the "die hard's" was very similar. Why don't you 20" haters at least reserve judgement until you had a change of driving a car with 20" ?

And to the OP , your spec looks great ! You'll have one beautiful 911
No need for Sportchrono imo.

As an aside , my 991 will be manual not because I do not like PDK but because I know from experience that I will be driving in auto mode all the time. I seem unable to enjoy the flippers. And I enjoy the manual much more.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:23 AM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
Dimming mirrors were an option on US built 997s.

I agree with your options but add SPASM (if available?) and at this MSRP one might as well go C2S; but that's me.
+1 might as well go C2S.
I got a 2011 C4S for that very same reason, by the time you add options might as well upgrade engine for very little change in price.

19 inch wheels are more than enough...maybe even two much if your roads aren't smooth.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Galion
Pro

I know 20's will offer a much more harsher ride, but I don't really care, I have to admit that I am going for the looks
I chose 21's in my Cayenne S knowing it wasn't the best choice for an SUV, but it looks beautiful, check my avatar.
The only option I am not 100% sure is PDK, I have a couple of months to decide until my order locks. My heart says "Please give me a 7 speed manual" but my head says "No way! get a PDK".
Thanks for your comments.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
The only option I am not 100% sure is PDK, I have a couple of months to decide until my order locks. My heart says "Please give me a 7 speed manual"
Galion, you did understand when MJones posted in your other thread that the Manual Option is not available on the 991 until March of 2012, right? So we are in early September now & the earliest a March production allocation locks will be (approx) in mid to late January of 2012 . If your allocation comes up prior to that, you have no choice but PDK. When have you been told by your dealer that he has an allocation for you and by what date it may 'lock'? z356
Old 09-12-2011, 02:18 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
I know 20's will offer a much more harsher ride, but I don't really care, I have to admit that I am going for the looks
I chose 21's in my Cayenne S knowing it wasn't the best choice for an SUV, but it looks beautiful, check my avatar.
The only option I am not 100% sure is PDK, I have a couple of months to decide until my order locks. My heart says "Please give me a 7 speed manual" but my head says "No way! get a PDK".
Thanks for your comments.
I know that psychologically, you may *think* 20s may LOOK better, BUT they really don't, on a Carrera specially. It's because the brakes on Carrera are smaller and 20" wheels would make them even look SMALLER than they are! Maybe that look is fine in Peru, I don't know... but in US/Canada/EU huge wheels on smaller brakes are done by only 16-18yr olds who got their first car!

Go DRIVE a Manual vs. PDK... I was just driving my sister's car with 6-speed paddle shifter the other day and I TOTALLY missed my manual feel.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Galion
Pro

I am not an avid observer and I never care for the size of the brake calipers in a car, If they werent red or yellow I would hardly notice them (Thats the color 18yr olds paint their calipers here), I prefer a less flashy silver or black.
Having said that I would care more for the diameter of the disc brakes, STD perforated disc brakes are nice and the Carrera have big ones.
Definetely Calipers are not one of the first things I appreciate in a car when I look at it.
But you may be right, I will dig a little bit more on this.

My order locks in early December for January/12 build, arriving late February but cannot be delivered until March 12, after the official presentation in our market.
And yes, I can have a 7 speed by that date. Thats what I've been told a few minutes ago when I called the sales guy, maybe just in EU/Latin America
If that wasnt the case, I can wait a bit more in order to get what I really want.

IMHO it looks good!!

Last edited by Galion; 05-07-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Well, look at the UP-side to the 20" wheels - better cooling for your brakes because there is more air around them.

(My cup is always half full)
Old 09-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by Thundertub
Well, look at the UP-side to the 20" wheels - better cooling for your brakes because there is more air around them.

(My cup is always half full)
Haha, wise words Mark...

Quick Reply: Finally my 991 Build