Finally my 991 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Finally my 991 Build

Hi all,
Finally decided my new 991 buid, tried to keep it simple but its almost impossible, MSRP is US$126,977 in my country, I think I can work out a 5,5% discount with the dealer when placing my order next week, thats what I got when I ordered my 2011 Cayenne S.

Hope I dont regret not ordering the 7 speed manual , I was debating with the idea that I should get it for a true sports car, but after reading tons of posts in this forum, I realized that PDK should be fun (??), btw I dont do autox or go to the track, this is my first 911 and I just want it sitting in my garage to look at it every night and for some spirited weekend driving arround town.

Many recommended 19" wheels, but I dont like their design, hard to decide between those beautiful 20"s, Carrera S vs Carrera Classic, hmmm, thats a tough one.

Any final comments of my build will be appreciated,
Thanks all.

911 Carrera
Platinum Silver Metallic
Leather interior in Black
Seat belts in Guards Red
Instrument dials in Guards Red
ParkAssist front and rear
Model designition "911"
Porsche dimming interior mirror w/rain sensor
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
20-inch Carrera S wheel
Floor mats
Light design package
Cruise control
HomeLink® (garage door opener)
Sports seats, manual (4-way)
SportDesign steering wheel
Aluminium brushed interior package
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module

Last edited by Galion; 05-07-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 164 Posts

Adaptive sport seats are expensive, but worth every penny.
Try them, if you haven't, before you finalize your order.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Like the build, wasn't PCM standard equipment?

The items I would consider removing (and maybe replace with something else):

1. 20" wheels - NOT necessary and not good looking (makes the Carrera brakes look extremely small), PLUS All sorts of disadvantage (worse ride, probably worse handling, more expensive tires, potential for wheel damage, etc...)
2. Dynamic lights? Not sure how much is the option, but stanard bi-xenon is PLENTY enough
3. Light design? Not sure how it looks really, but dimming mirrors are more functional

Instead I'd add:
- Sports Chrono
- PASM
- Sport Exhaust (PSE)
- Dimming mirrors? Wasn't this standard before?

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 52 Posts

I would suggest test driving a PDK 911 and Manual 911 before deciding to go with PDK. That is probably one of the biggest decisions you can make with this purchase and I wouldn't base it on reviews and comments alone. Both are great transmissions, but you need to experience them both in a 911 before you decide. Also, I wouldn't expect any discount for the first few months of ordering I think dealers will be getting MSRP. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Galion
Pro

Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) OUT! Auto Dimming mirros IN!
19" wheels no way, I can live with the harsher ride, I have 21" in my Cayenne S and I love them.
There is a sport buttom already as STD equipment in the 991, so I guess no need for the sport chrono option.
Im gonna take a look at the adaptative sport seats too.

Any comments on the guards red dials and seat belts? maybe too cheesy? I thing they lighten up the dull black interior in combination with the aluminum trim.

I am not trying to start a debate in a topic discussed xxxx times, but the PDK vs Manual decision keeps me awake at night. I just hope PDK will be different than the VW DSG I once had in a R32, I used the paddles for a month and ended up driving it in auto mode, very boring in the long run.
Guess I will have to try the PDK by myself as you suggested.
Thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 09:57 PM
scottjua
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but your 21" Cayenne will run a completely different sidewall giving it MUCH more compliance. This is not an apples to apples comparison.

You're buying a "performance" car... I'm more than certain you'll have better performance with 19" wheels and tires.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by scottjua
but your 21" Cayenne will run a completely different sidewall giving it MUCH more compliance. This is not an apples to apples comparison.

You're buying a "performance" car... I'm more than certain you'll have better performance with 19" wheels and tires.
+1. The sidewall on Cayenne wheels is completely different than on 911. Like my Dad's Lexus SUV has 19" wheels but it's nowhere close to my 19s... I HIGHLY recommend 19s for performane, ride, and handling... If you worry about looks, SEPCIALLY for Carrera with smaller brakes, 20" just LOOKS WEIRD. If I EVER order a 991 "S", I'd try to downgrade to 19".

I am not so sure about Sport button on standard, I highly doubt it, when you pick Sport Chrono in the builder, the button is highlighted.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Adaptive Sports seats, then Sport buckets from there. Silver seat belts and Aluminum Dials; also, paint some interior items in Exterior Color; Center column, center console. I like those wheels, but would pry stick with 19's for all the same reasons other folks prefer 18's over 19's....yada, yada, yada....
Other than that, looks like a beautiful ride.. GL
Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed A.S.S. are worth it. SC Plus is a must with PDK.

Personally, I'd skip red dials, but red belts are very cool. Have them on my GT3 and love em. If you are sure on the dials then go for it, if not I'd skip. I like the zero cost black dials. You need to get DEM. I know they come packaged with something. Is it SC? Whatever it is I'd add them. They work very well and will lend towards a better residual down he road. They do on GT3s and it is the way technology is heading.

Oh and keep the 20s. They look best, imho.. A lot of very fast cars, GTR, 458, etc... have 20" wheels. Only issue I have is that the brakes look too small, but that's the case with either wheel; just more with 20.

Last edited by 911dev; 09-11-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your steering wheel choice is a must; order the sport exhaust, i bet you never regret it; painted rear apron;

i like the platinum silver.

is that full leather in black?

i also found it was hard to keep the prices down when i built a few.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:19 PM
911dev
Drifting

^ +1 on the Full Leather (w/the Leather trim Package: Center Console and Dash Trim, looks gorgeous!) and Sport Exhaust. I wouldn't order another 911 without both.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by alexb76
I am not so sure about Sport button on standard, I highly doubt it, when you pick Sport Chrono in the builder, the button is highlighted.

Check this out from Porsche website, No need for sport Chrono package???

"....... An exhilarating new feature is the Sport button now standard on the new 911. The Sport button adjusts the engine’s response to suit one’s preferred driving style. Pressing the Sport button changes the electronic engine mapping so it engages a sharper throttle response.
In vehicles with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK), upshifts take place at higher engine speeds and downshifts happen sooner. In addition, coasting mode and the auto start/stop function are automatically deactivated. If fitted, the optional sport exhaust system is also activated automatically."

------
Sport Exhaust sounds like a good option, love the quad tips, I suppose the std Carrera exhaust has a nice sound, but a throtier note always is welcome , not sure if $3900 + worth, but nice, I am going to do a search in this forum for more opinions about this, thanks
Old 09-11-2011, 02:53 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

1. 20" wheels - NOT necessary and not good looking (makes the Carrera brakes look extremely small), PLUS All sorts of disadvantage (worse ride, probably worse handling, more expensive tires, potential for wheel damage, etc...)
2. Dynamic lights? Not sure how much is the option, but stanard bi-xenon is PLENTY enough
3. Light design? Not sure how it looks really, but dimming mirrors are more functional

Instead I'd add:
- Sports Chrono
- PASM
- Sport Exhaust (PSE)

Good luck!
Agreed. This was my thought. 126K and where is the go fast stuff?
Jim
Old 09-11-2011, 03:12 PM
911dev
Drifting

Instead I'd add:
- Sports Chrono
- PASM
- Sport Exhaust (PSE)

Good luck!
Dimming mirrors were an option on US built 997s.

I agree with your options but add SPASM (if available?) and at this MSRP one might as well go C2S; but that's me.

Last edited by 911dev; 09-11-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:13 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Galion
Check this out from Porsche website, No need for sport Chrono package???

"....... An exhilarating new feature is the Sport button now standard on the new 911. The Sport button adjusts the engine’s response to suit one’s preferred driving style. Pressing the Sport button changes the electronic engine mapping so it engages a sharper throttle response.
In vehicles with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK), upshifts take place at higher engine speeds and downshifts happen sooner. In addition, coasting mode and the auto start/stop function are automatically deactivated. If fitted, the optional sport exhaust system is also activated automatically."

------
Sport Exhaust sounds like a good option, love the quad tips, I suppose the std Carrera exhaust has a nice sound, but a throtier note always is welcome , not sure if $3900 + worth, but nice, I am going to do a search in this forum for more opinions about this, thanks
Good find. That sounds like how it is on a GT3 re:mapping and sport exhaust. Apparently, no need for SC, except that they now bundle DEM with SC. A must have to me. Porsche's website re: SC Plus conflicts somewhat with what you found. This is not unusual for them nor a newly listed car.

Last edited by 911dev; 09-11-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally my 991 Build