Sponsored by:

Question about the auto start/stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 03:33 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Question about the auto start/stop

How is this going to work on a 991 7 speed?? Everyone knows how a 911 turns over-raspy, irregular until it 'settles in'. Will this happen every time you pull in/out of a stop. Supposdly you can disable the feature, but you would have to do this every time you started the car? I can't picture it starting and stopping silently like a 4 door luxury car.
Jim
Old 09-03-2011, 03:56 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Who knows but Porsche at the moment, I guess we all will have to wait and see. I am wondering the same thing though.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:28 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good question on the stick. Im sure the system can be disengaged.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
How is this going to work on a 991 7 speed?? Everyone knows how a 911 turns over-raspy, irregular until it 'settles in'. Will this happen every time you pull in/out of a stop. Supposdly you can disable the feature, but you would have to do this every time you started the car? I can't picture it starting and stopping silently like a 4 door luxury car.
Jim
The computer will remember where auto start/stop was set when you last turned off the car, so if it was disabled at that time, you won't have to disable it the next time you start. That's how it works in my Cayenne S too. Also in the Cayenne, the system won't activate until the car is fully warmed up and even then will only shut down after you've been sitting for a few seconds. A quick stop at a stop sign, for example, won't cause the engine to shut down.

Obviously Porsche is including this feature so that they can test the car while using it and eke out that last bit of mileage to up their corporate average. There are also some consumers who want features like this. If you don't like it, just leave it turned off.

I'm sure the basic operation will be the same with the manual although questions remain about whether it will only work in neutral, with the clutch disengaged, etc.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:18 PM
CBad308
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a manual???

~A

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The computer will remember where auto start/stop was set when you last turned off the car, so if it was disabled at that time, you won't have to disable it the next time you start. That's how it works in my Cayenne S too. Also in the Cayenne, the system won't activate until the car is fully warmed up and even then will only shut down after you've been sitting for a few seconds. A quick stop at a stop sign, for example, won't cause the engine to shut down.

Obviously Porsche is including this feature so that they can test the car while using it and eke out that last bit of mileage to up their corporate average. There are also some consumers who want features like this. If you don't like it, just leave it turned off.

I'm sure the basic operation will be the same with the manual although questions remain about whether it will only work in neutral, with the clutch disengaged, etc.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by CBad308
On a manual???

~A
Yes. The computer remembering the setting at shutdown will be the same manual or auto. The ability to turn the system off will be identical on both.

From the Porsche web site here is a description:

The Auto Start Stop function is standard in the new 911 models. In the 911 equipped with manual transmission, the engine switches off automatically when you come to a stop, select neutral, and release the clutch pedal. In cars equipped with the optional Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission, the engine switches off when you stop and leave your foot on the brake pedal. All audio and communication systems remain switched on and the climate control continues to maintain your selected temperature. The only differences you will notice are the silence at the rear and the fuel savings. As soon as you engage the clutch or release the brake, the engine will restart instantly and smoothly. The Auto Start Stop function may remain inactive under certain circumstances—for example, during extreme outside temperatures, if the battery charge is low, or if the Sport button is selected. It is also possible to deactivate the function manually using a separate button on the center console.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:08 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Were going to need bigger/better starters.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:28 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

There are mods done to make this starting process much smoother than the typical cold start process. I'd be surprised if it is activated by default on the US cars - isn't it deactivated on the Panamera?
Old 09-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by kosmo
Were going to need bigger/better starters.
On the Cayenne the starter has been beefed up.

Originally Posted by WCE
There are mods done to make this starting process much smoother than the typical cold start process. I'd be surprised if it is activated by default on the US cars - isn't it deactivated on the Panamera?
Yes, and on my '11 Cayenne S as well. Once I've deactivated AS/S with a button on the console it stays deactivated even when the car is shut down and restarted. The only way to reactivate it is to manually press the button again.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Found this feature to be far too noticeable on the Panamera (intrusive, even).
Can't imagine leaving it 'active' on a 911, stick or PDK.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Leader
Found this feature to be far too noticeable on the Panamera (intrusive, even).
Can't imagine leaving it 'active' on a 911, stick or PDK.
Agree. I assume it helps Porsche meet their CAFE numbers but I almost never use it in the Cayenne, much less my 911 if it were so equipped.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:01 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I always thought most of the wear and tear was in the start up...wonder how that wear compares to the wear of and idling engine with good oil function...anyone know?

jb
Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 PM
technica
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Jim
The initial startup cycle you are describing is to warm up the catalyst in the catalytic convertor. I highly doubt the car will go through that cycle after it has been warmed up and up to temp. I recently rented a car in Germany, and it came with auto stop/start. Scared the crap out of me when I came to a red-light. Thought to myself "WTF!! Did this thing just stall on me". I started it back up and sure enough at the next light i realized its auto start/stop. Also learned that car starts it self as soon as you depress the clutch. Its an interesting idea, emissions reduction and increase of MPG numbers, but surely extra wear and tear on the starter motor.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Slightly OT here but the guy that does the commentary for the Porsche mini-videos has a great sounding voice.

Quick Reply: Question about the auto start/stop